Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 4:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 6:51am
Heston wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 5:04am
Hard to believe this is the man who brought us Going Underground. Sounds like the fucking Wurzels. Pack it in Paul...

Not much change as far as I can see.

Some people might say my tractor's stuck in a rut
But I'm quite happy with the one I've got
People might say that I should plough for more
But I'm so happy I can't see the point
Somethings happening here today
A show of strength with the farm brigade
And I'm so happy and you're so kind
You want more potatoes of course I don't mind
To buy new equipment for better times
And the public gets what the public wants
But I want nothing, I'm happy in my fields
I'm going ploughing again (going ploughing again )
Well the engine turns and the blades start to pound
Going ploughing again (going ploughing again )
Well let the farmboys all sing and the farmboys all plough for tomorrow
Some people might get some pleasure using an old rake
Me, I've enough already on my plate
People might need some time to relax
Me, I'm too busy dodging between the flax
What you see is what you get
You've ploughed your land, it's time to grow in it
You choose your tools and place your trust
Keep them clean and they won't rust
You'll see new machines replace old shovels and forks
And the public gets what the public wants
But I want nothing, I'm happy in my fields
I'm going ploughing again (going ploughing again )
Well let the farmboys all sing and the farmboys all plough for tomorrow
I'll plough and plough 'til my tractor explodes
I worked all through the winter 'til my body froze
The lovely sheep I shear real clean
Make this boy smile, make this boy dream!
Going ploughing again
Going ploughing again!
I'm Going ploughing again
I'm Going ploughing again!
The lovely sheep I shear real clean
Make this boy smile, make this boy dream!
Well, let the farmboys all sing and the farmboys all plough
Well the engine turns and the blades start to pound, pound, pound
Well, let the farmboys all sing and the farmboys all plough for tomorrow
I was actually singing it in my head as I read it, brilliant 😂
Ha!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The caption for this said Lita Ford instead of Blondie/Debbie Harry

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:29pm
I hate to be that guy because Jello was fucking immense in altering my political and cultural outlook, but that's pretty sad. The lyrics are forced and preachy, the references to Taliban and Tea Party are dated (does the Tea Party even exist in Trump's GOP?), and the music sounds like warmed over 80s heavy metal. Now I'm sad.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:38pm
revbob wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 6:29pm
I hate to be that guy because Jello was fucking immense in altering my political and cultural outlook, but that's pretty sad. The lyrics are forced and preachy, the references to Taliban and Tea Party are dated (does the Tea Party even exist in Trump's GOP?), and the music sounds like warmed over 80s heavy metal. Now I'm sad.
I too think he can do better.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Shitty band of white people sue black woman after they decided to make their name not so fucking racist.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... te-1302517
Country group Lady A, which dropped the word "Antebellum" from their name because of the word's ties to slavery, has filed a lawsuit against a Black singer who has performed as Lady A for years.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:24pm
Shitty band of white people sue black woman after they decided to make their name not so fucking racist.

Country group Lady A, which dropped the word "Antebellum" from their name because of the word's ties to slavery, has filed a lawsuit against a Black singer who has performed as Lady A for years.
Jesus Christ, even if you don't pause over the ethics—who had the name first, dumbasses?—but what an amazingly bad look to sue an African American given the context of the name change.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 7:55pm
revbob wrote:

Jesus Christ, even if you don't pause over the ethics—who had the name first, dumbasses?—but what an amazingly bad look to sue an African American given the context of the name change.
Yeah shit band doing shit things. I cringed the first time I heard that band name. Who the fuck comes up with it and says "yeah that's cool"?

Im waiting for someone here to jump to their defense in some way...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah shit band doing shit things. I cringed the first time I heard that band name. Who the fuck comes up with it and says "yeah that's cool"?

The best thing I can say about the original band name is that it does have a certain aesthetic flair to it. What it conjures up is gross, but the phrasing itself succeeds. In the same way that I can be impressed with the aesthetics of Nazi designs and the like.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:21pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The best thing I can say about the original band name is that it does have a certain aesthetic flair to it. What it conjures up is gross, but the phrasing itself succeeds. In the same way that I can be impressed with the aesthetics of Nazi designs and the like.
But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means... or you don't give a fuck?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means
Oh, there's no way they don't know what it means. They could coyly say Southern heritage and all that shit, but it plays around with the same ugly romanticism as Gone With the Wind. That some of us still appreciate Southern values of chivalry and honour. Maybe they're dumb enough not to get the code, but that shit is all about "plausible" deniability. They may as well call their band Masters of the Plantation.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means
Oh, there's no way they don't know what it means. They could coyly say Southern heritage and all that shit, but it plays around with the same ugly romanticism as Gone With the Wind. That some of us still appreciate Southern values of chivalry and honour. Maybe they're dumb enough not to get the code, but that shit is all about "plausible" deniability. They may as well call their band Masters of the Plantation.
Lady Slave Master.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

But how fucking ignorant does a country band have to be to chooee that and not know WTF it means... or you don't give a fuck?
I must admit I had no idea about where the name originated. I had vaguely heard of the band but had no idea of the connotations of the name.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:45pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I must admit I had no idea about where the name originated. I had vaguely heard of the band but had no idea of the connotations of the name.
They suck...

Im perhaps drunker than I should be for posting here

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 8:33pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Lady Slave Master.
They Knew Their Place Once