Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:56pm
BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:45pm
Ebony & Ivory came on earlier. It's nowhere near as bad as these 'worst songs ever' polls make out. It's far from perfect but the chorus is quite pleasant.
I guess it is all perspective. There are worse songs but this is a Beatle and Stevie Wonder!!!
I get the angle now, bit like if Messi and Ronaldo both went to Arsenal and were crap yeah?

Still a nice little ditty however
More like Messi and Ronaldo in a 5 aside team with Pele, Beckenbauer and Banks and still being crap.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 6:37pm
BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 4:20pm
101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:56pm
BitterTom wrote:
Ebony & Ivory came on earlier. It's nowhere near as bad as these 'worst songs ever' polls make out. It's far from perfect but the chorus is quite pleasant.
I guess it is all perspective. There are worse songs but this is a Beatle and Stevie Wonder!!!
I get the angle now, bit like if Messi and Ronaldo both went to Arsenal and were crap yeah?

Still a nice little ditty however
More like Messi and Ronaldo in a 5 aside team with Pele, Beckenbauer and Banks and still being crap.
Living side by side on piano keyboards. :rolleyes: A song whose message is well meant but...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:57pm
BitterTom wrote:
The awful rep is in no small part because everyone knows that McCartney (and Wonder) can do better, yet, fuck a duck, he keeps emptying the slop bucket. On the other hand, that album has "Take It Away," maybe my favourite solo McCartney songs.
I just recall the video for Ebony and ivory being awful. Too bad John Singleton is dead he could have redone it. Also my theory on McCartney is that the well is dry and has been for quite some time. He's been coasting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 May 2019, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The awful rep is in no small part because everyone knows that McCartney (and Wonder) can do better, yet, fuck a duck, he keeps emptying the slop bucket. On the other hand, that album has "Take It Away," maybe my favourite solo McCartney songs.
I just recall the video for Ebony and ivory being awful. Too bad John Singleton is dead he could have redone it. Also my theory on McCartney is that the well is dry and has been for quite some time. He's been coasting.
Hard not to conclude this. The records he did with Youth under the name The Fireman are pretty cool, but, yeah, otherwise there isn't much there to remind us that he was a master of his craft, just shitting genius every morning.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2019, 8:17pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Hard not to conclude this. The records he did with Youth under the name The Fireman are pretty cool, but, yeah, otherwise there isn't much there to remind us that he was a master of his craft, just shitting genius every morning.
Here’s a question though, if McCartney put out some those Beatles pop songs now would we slate him or would we be saying how great they are?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Here’s a question though, if McCartney put out some those Beatles pop songs now would we slate him or would we be saying how great they are?
That's a fair question but I'm not a huge Beatles fan either and feel the same way about some of those songs that I do about his post Beatles work. I know that puts me on the outs with a lot of people especially those here. I don't know enough to be able to distinguish which songs are Lennon/McCartney, McCartney/Lennon or just one or the other.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Impossible to remove them from the historical context. We do judge him against what he did with the greatest band that ever was, which probably generates more disappointment and snark than his current output merits, but even without that there's little to make one stand up and take notice. Put another way, if it didn't have Paul McCartney on the label, how many people would even give a toss to even listen? It's not fair to expect him to be changing the game from album to album like the Beatles did, but, geez, give his a hint of why the Beatles dominated like no other band.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 May 2019, 8:42pm
We do judge him against what he did with the greatest band that ever was,
Yeah, Paul McCartney was awesome in No Doubt.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Impossible to remove them from the historical context. We do judge him against what he did with the greatest band that ever was, which probably generates more disappointment and snark than his current output merits, but even without that there's little to make one stand up and take notice. Put another way, if it didn't have Paul McCartney on the label, how many people would even give a toss to even listen? It's not fair to expect him to be changing the game from album to album like the Beatles did, but, geez, give his a hint of why the Beatles dominated like no other band.
If the Beatles were starting out now would those McCartney songs get the same recognition they currently get? I’d suggest definitely not. They were brilliant at that time as was McCartney’s writing but time has moved on and maybe McCartney’s writing hasn’t.
This isn’t to take anything away from the Beatles or McCartney but like a lot of things that were once brilliant and groundbreaking they are now commonplace but remembered fondly for breaking that ground.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If you ever find fire ants in your shoes, I'll be responsible for that.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Motion to have Flex deactivated and crushed into a cube.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I laughed.

Also agree with 101s last statement. Which could partially explain my lack of enthusiasm for the Beatles. I heard Black Sabbath before I ever heard the Beatles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:18pm
If the Beatles were starting out now would those McCartney songs get the same recognition they currently get? I’d suggest definitely not. They were brilliant at that time as was McCartney’s writing but time has moved on and maybe McCartney’s writing hasn’t.
But those songs would have emerged as they did in 2019 as they in the 60s. Production techniques, promotion and sales, cultural influences—all that make it impossible to hypothesize that. The Beatles were a product of their times as much as they produced their times. It's just impossible to meaningfully think about those songs being written and recorded outside their time. I'm sort of agreeing with you here, but more fully I'm saying that the premise is too difficult or complex to consider.
This isn’t to take anything away from the Beatles or McCartney but like a lot of things that were once brilliant and groundbreaking they are now commonplace but remembered fondly for breaking that ground.
They did have the advantage, like Dylan or Elvis, of being there in the early days. They had the opportunity to shape things. But we appreciate them, in part, because they actually did shape things and push limits in ways that, say, the Dave Clark Five didn't. The Beatles had a marvellously restless spirit. They got bored quickly and needed to try something else. Regardless of era, that's a rare quality (the Clash, duh, come to mind as another band that had that same restlessness). But, definitely, it means more because of when it happened. Much easier to be an innovator at the start than after a form has been established.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:26pm
Again?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:50pm
Wolter wrote:
08 May 2019, 9:26pm
Again?
Still.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"