The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 3:34pm
I love the idea of a bitter Dickies/Green Day rivalry. I know which side I land on.
Green Dick Day needs to be celebrated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 3:38pm
Flex wrote:
I love the idea of a bitter Dickies/Green Day rivalry. I know which side I land on.
That's usually with penicillin, no?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 3:28pm
Yeah, KC was in many respects traumatized and destroyed by Nevermind's success. He'd try to go to punk shows and be accused by people of being a sell-out and ruining the underground. It's telling that as they toured the album, he'd introduce songs from Bleach as "You probably don't know this one." As in, you were never part of the alternative scene, you only know us for MTV hits. It's not hard to conclude that he felt like a sinner and wanted to atone or self-flagellate.
Probably just differences in personality then, one withdraws and one provides a counter-offensive. I tend to give a bit of a pass to people under the age of 26 that are thrown into these situations. You never know how you're going to react—I certainly didn't have great opinions at that age. BJ is right when he says he didn't get into it to become famous. Until GD and the Offspring, nobody would have bet even a dollar on punk being mainstream, so that would have been a double shock for them. Probably hard to cope with at that age.
I think the best defence is that it is playful sparring and sensationalist journalism. I have a bit of sore attitude toward pop punk. I like it just fine to listen to, but it is a diminished form that sheds a lot of key punk values, so, yeah, enjoy your success, but you traded it for your critical position.
Yeah, there's no sense of BJ's tone here, he may have just been joking. But I can guarantee that whatever he's defending himself from on HR's side was not gracious, so I don't begrudge him his "fuck you Rollins" attitude.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 3:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 3:38pm
Flex wrote:
That's usually with penicillin, no?
At the very least a soothing balm.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 4:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, KC was in many respects traumatized and destroyed by Nevermind's success. He'd try to go to punk shows and be accused by people of being a sell-out and ruining the underground. It's telling that as they toured the album, he'd introduce songs from Bleach as "You probably don't know this one." As in, you were never part of the alternative scene, you only know us for MTV hits. It's not hard to conclude that he felt like a sinner and wanted to atone or self-flagellate.
Probably just differences in personality then, one withdraws and one provides a counter-offensive. I tend to give a bit of a pass to people under the age of 26 that are thrown into these situations.
Fair, plus KC was all kinds of fucked up well before fame hit. He seemed especially ill-suited to handling fame, so it's kinda cruel that he'd be vaulted to premier rock star status and generational icon and all that crap.
BJ is right when he says he didn't get into it to become famous. Until GD and the Offspring, nobody would have bet even a dollar on punk being mainstream, so that would have been a double shock for them. Probably hard to cope with at that age.
Yup, certainly, but it still smacks of a kid who makes it big forgetting the people who helped him when he was a shitstain.
Yeah, there's no sense of BJ's tone here, he may have just been joking. But I can guarantee that whatever he's defending himself from on HR's side was not gracious, so I don't begrudge him his "fuck you Rollins" attitude.
But there's really no bigger sin in punk circles—selling out, wanting personal success and celebrity. If you want that, fine, but accept that those in the scene are going to attack you. When you push back, especially to accuse critics of jealousy, it just furthers the perception that you're a user and a sell-out.

I mean, yeah, I'm reading (and projecting) a lot into a few snippets of an interview, wholly ignorant of tone and context. But on its face, it's really wretched triumphalism.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 4:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Probably just differences in personality then, one withdraws and one provides a counter-offensive. I tend to give a bit of a pass to people under the age of 26 that are thrown into these situations.
Fair, plus KC was all kinds of fucked up well before fame hit. He seemed especially ill-suited to handling fame, so it's kinda cruel that he'd be vaulted to premier rock star status and generational icon and all that crap.
BJ is right when he says he didn't get into it to become famous. Until GD and the Offspring, nobody would have bet even a dollar on punk being mainstream, so that would have been a double shock for them. Probably hard to cope with at that age.
Yup, certainly, but it still smacks of a kid who makes it big forgetting the people who helped him when he was a shitstain.
But there's really no bigger sin in punk circles—selling out, wanting personal success and celebrity. If you want that, fine, but accept that those in the scene are going to attack you. When you push back, especially to accuse critics of jealousy, it just furthers the perception that you're a user and a sell-out.

I mean, yeah, I'm reading (and projecting) a lot into a few snippets of an interview, wholly ignorant of tone and context. But on its face, it's really wretched triumphalism.
He was also on a ton of speed at the time, which would have made him quite irritable.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 4:46pm
He was also on a ton of speed at the time, which would have made him quite irritable.
That explains more than anything else!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 4:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah similar to all those "self made" rich people who ignore how their riches are made.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 7:33pm
Yeah similar to all those "self made" rich people who ignore how their riches are made.
Admitting that wealth begets wealth risks angering the proles, and instead of admiring your success, they might be more inclined to string you up by your entrails.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm not sure I could name something that seems even worse: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -jazz-band

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This wouldn't have happened with a good name like Tommy Lee: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoo ... -1.5935111

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Found this on bik bok

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:02pm
Found this on bik bok

Yeah there's a few shots from that time kicking around.
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 934 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Found this on bik bok

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 11:13pm
revbob wrote:
Found this on bik bok

Yeah there's a few shots from that time kicking around.
Looks like fall 79. Jello is from SF so presumably the Kezar show in October?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.