The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

I was tired of the Weezer schtick from the get go and Toto?

So the question is if you take shit and mix it with a different type of shit, say horse and dog, do you not still yield shit?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 2:19pm
Fucking Weezer does me zero favors when I try to espouse that there is some really good stuff in their post-Pinkerton catalog. Even through their last album.
I'm amused and baffled by the irritation that they generate. They're a power pop band and generally pretty good. They aren't "significant" or vanguardist in any way. They produce fun, catchy, and lively pop songs. But it seems like every album is greeted like Dylan plugging in his guitar at Newport. That they generate such … expectations, I guess, that are never met is a mystery to me.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just listened to the teal album. Pretty fun. It's a recursive joke about online memes, basically. But the result is a set of kinda funny, and very listenable, covers. I'd missed their cover of No Scrubs, which is excellent.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 2:31pm
I'm amused and baffled by the irritation that they generate. They're a power pop band and generally pretty good. They aren't "significant" or vanguardist in any way. They produce fun, catchy, and lively pop songs. But it seems like every album is greeted like Dylan plugging in his guitar at Newport. That they generate such … expectations, I guess, that are never met is a mystery to me.
I think Pinkerton is pretty much regarded as a major masterpiece, and rightfully so. That they've never replicated that height gets them negative reviews, but it's probably an unfair standard to hold them to.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 2:19pm
Fucking Weezer does me zero favors when I try to espouse that there is some really good stuff in their post-Pinkerton catalog. Even through their last album.
Some of the most fun shows I've ever been to have been Weezer shows. I saw one of their comeback concerts just prior to The Green Album and it was fantastic. They're just a fun band and I've always enjoyed listening to them.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex

Post by Flex »

He we done a Top 5 for Weezer yet? That would be kinda fun. I could just list Africa five times. :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Weezer is proof that when you've got an album cover that works, you should run it into the ground for a quarter century.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think Pinkerton is pretty much regarded as a major masterpiece, and rightfully so. That they've never replicated that height gets them negative reviews, but it's probably an unfair standard to hold them to.
That masterpiece status eludes my ears. Every so often I play it again to see if it clicks. Good album, certainly, but there's a reverence for it that I've never picked up on.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 3:11pm
That masterpiece status eludes my ears. Every so often I play it again to see if it clicks. Good album, certainly, but there's a reverence for it that I've never picked up on.
That's because you're too old for it, Gramps! It's for the young kids who are in their, uhhhhh... *checks year* mid to late 30s.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's because you're too old for it, Gramps! It's for the young kids who are in their, uhhhhh... *checks year* mid to late 30s.
Aww, go eat your avocado whatever and ruin America some more.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's really elevated when you pick up on the concept and story being told throughout the album (for example, the cello player love interest in El Scorcho is the same one he pines for in Falling For You ("you left your cello in the basement")). I always preferred Blue album because it's catchier, but
there is more thematically to Pinkerton. And it's such a perfectly ugly sounding record too - lots of feedback, Rivers shreds his vocals, the drums are dry as shit, the backing vocals are sloppily sung in unison into a single mic. And "Butterfly" is such an ugly note to end on (interestingly as a soft, acoustic number), completely upending the whole characterization of the narrator. The songs are just so brutally and often uncomfortably honest.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's really elevated when you pick up on the concept and story being told throughout the album (for example, the cello player love interest in El Scorcho is the same one he pines for in Falling For You ("you left your cello in the basement")). I always preferred Blue album because it's catchier, but
there is more thematically to Pinkerton. And it's such a perfectly ugly sounding record too - lots of feedback, Rivers shreds his vocals, the drums are dry as shit, the backing vocals are sloppily sung in unison into a single mic. And "Butterfly" is such an ugly note to end on (interestingly as a soft, acoustic number), completely upending the whole characterization of the narrator. The songs are just so brutally and often uncomfortably honest.
Well put, and I'll add my voice in for the major masterpiece assessment.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
And it's such a perfectly ugly sounding record too - lots of feedback, Rivers shreds his vocals, the drums are dry as shit, the backing vocals are sloppily sung in unison into a single mic.
Which I do like a lot, even if Weezer is better at more conventional power pop.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I loved Pinkerton when it came out, but the lyrical content has aged...problematically...in this era or toxic nerd masculinity.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »