Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 7:52pm
Heston wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 7:09pm
revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 7:03pm
I got that album (Crock of Gold) out of the record library back in the day and I really couldn't get into it. Did I miss anything?
This is for the movie documentary. The album by the same name has some high points but was a disappointment overall I thought. I should probably try again though been 15 or 20 years.
Yeah, I realised it was the fim after I posted. Hopefully it has some good archive footage, it looks great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Crock of Gold has probably two good songs on it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 1:30am
I wont argue. I remember getting this as an import back when it came out so I could play it on my radio show. I dont recall what songs I would play off of it but it was a big let down from The Snake which I still include in my regular rotation.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 8:34am
Silent Majority wrote:
I wont argue. I remember getting this as an import back when it came out so I could play it on my radio show. I dont recall what songs I would play off of it but it was a big let down from The Snake which I still include in my regular rotation.
Namely, More Pricks than Kicks and St John of Gods, but Shane's nasal, smacked-out vocal style of the time undercuts those too.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 8:38am
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Namely, More Pricks than Kicks and St John of Gods, but Shane's nasal, smacked-out vocal style of the time undercuts those too.
I gotta dig this out again. My friend used to play St John of Gods a lot on our show.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
My mate rechristened it "Crock of Shit."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

They filmed the TAMI Show this day in 1964
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Not a perfect analogy but i always think of crock of shit as Shanes cut the crap. There are some fingerpoppingly bad lyrics on it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

POISON IVY OF THE CRAMPS: UNCROWNED QUEEN OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL

https://pleasekillme.com/poison-ivy-rorschach-cramps/

“Nobody ever talks to me about music or guitar,” Poison Ivy Rorschach, the lead guitarist of the Cramps, once said, frustrated by the lack of serious attention given to her musical chops by the pop press. “I’m the Queen of Rock n’ Roll and for this to not to be recognized is pure sexism.”

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 2:37pm

“Nobody ever talks to me about music or guitar,” Poison Ivy Rorschach, the lead guitarist of the Cramps, once said, frustrated by the lack of serious attention given to her musical chops by the pop press. “I’m the Queen of Rock n’ Roll and for this to not to be recognized is pure sexism.”
fuckin' a right
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 2:57pm
revbob wrote:

fuckin' a right
I once had a discussion with a woman about the amount of female artists in my musical library. Id never really given it that much thought at the time. So I started going over some in my head and the Cramps were certainly one because yeah Ivy is fucking great.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 3:02pm
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:

fuckin' a right
I once had a discussion with a woman about the amount of female artists in my musical library. Id never really given it that much thought at the time. So I started going over some in my head and the Cramps were certainly one because yeah Ivy is fucking great.
I was taken to task by a friend in high school over how masculine my CD collection was. If she could only see me now, she'd perhaps be pleased that I've swung completely in the other direction.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 1:26pm
Not a perfect analogy but i always think of crock of shit as Shanes cut the crap. There are some fingerpoppingly bad lyrics on it.
Some out of nowhere anti-semitism too.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 4:45pm
revbob wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 3:02pm
Flex wrote:
revbob wrote:

fuckin' a right
I was taken to task by a friend in high school over how masculine my CD collection was. If she could only see me now, she'd perhaps be pleased that I've swung completely in the other direction.
One of my better lectures in the rock class—at least how its' been received—is about how music critics in the 1960s created a rock discourse that pushed black artists out—leaving them to r & b, soul, and funk—and limited women largely to being groupies. For all the stuff about rock and free expression and personal liberty, it's still pretty limited to white guys.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »