The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

That’s like metal to the metal power.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

20221201_193227.jpg
Only $20

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 8:44pm
20221201_193227.jpg

Only $20
Some people who are allowed to wander around in public and have IMCT accounts think it's a classic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thehardtimes.net/music/green-da ... ee-roasts/

Down goes Armstrong! Down goes Armstrong!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
20221201_193227.jpg

Only $20
I thought you had raided Doc’s wardrobe for a second there.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 9:47am
revbob wrote:
20221201_193227.jpg

Only $20
I found myself in Brooklyn, VT (aka Winooski) and the record store wS having free booze tasting so we went in and saw they had a selection of Clash vinyl, least of which was Cut the Crap for $20.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 9:53am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
20221201_193227.jpg

Only $20
I found myself in Brooklyn, VT (aka Winooski) and the record store wS having free booze tasting so we went in and saw they had a selection of Clash vinyl, least of which was Cut the Crap for $20.
Clearly not enough free booze for you to pull the trigger.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 10:07am
revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 9:53am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
20221201_193227.jpg

Only $20
Clearly not enough free booze for you to pull the trigger.
I think I might spring $5 for it. But would need to have the right unwitting recipient in mind.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The Drugs Don't Work is such a classic country song, right down to the weeping steel guitar that should be there instead of the lame indie guitar fills.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 9:42am

Kind of a weird story given how different their recent material sounds.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 6:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Huh. Still, I have zilcho interest in anything Green Day does.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 6:54pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hard Times headline: College Professor Too Cool for School.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 7:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 6:54pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hard Times headline: College Professor Too Cool for School.
Not gonna lie: I have better music tastes than my students.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

In the office for the new job and the lady on the radio said, after playing the immortal and ever-groovy Jingle Bell Rock, "That is the only time you'll hear something from the 1950s on this station!" which explains, at least partially, their insistence on calling every song from more than the last three months "a throwback." Puke. God forbid we hear exciting music that isn't re-fried dance versions of songs from twenty years ago which are now about being in the clurrrrb and how that is the only acceptable avenue of escape from the constant doldrums of life and society.

Anyway, I'm a cantankerous freak in this context and I'm happy that's the case. Happy that's the case here because I get the previous 100 years of recorded sound to bring me comfort and joy and advertisers don't like that shit at all. But I wonder if some of the enduring love for Christmas music comes from people who are systematically denied hearing that great old stuff otherwise. When else do you get a glam stomp in the mainstream now away from Slade & Wizzard surrounded by falling fake snow? When else do you get a glimpse of swing, blues, soul, or all that other great stuff? Is Fairytale of New York the most folk music that ever gets played?

Of course, I know I can't expect to hear Charlie Christian followed by JID followed by Ewan MacColl anywhere in a row apart from my own iPod and that a radio station has to please its office sitting demographics by taking the least objectionable path. But it all feels a little more... constricted these days than it did even when I was a kid.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 10:49am
In the office for the new job and the lady on the radio said, after playing the immortal and ever-groovy Jingle Bell Rock, "That is the only time you'll hear something from the 1950s on this station!" which explains, at least partially, their insistence on calling every song from more than the last three months "a throwback." Puke. God forbid we hear exciting music that isn't re-fried dance versions of songs from twenty years ago which are now about being in the clurrrrb and how that is the only acceptable avenue of escape from the constant doldrums of life and society.

Anyway, I'm a cantankerous freak in this context and I'm happy that's the case. Happy that's the case here because I get the previous 100 years of recorded sound to bring me comfort and joy and advertisers don't like that shit at all. But I wonder if some of the enduring love for Christmas music comes from people who are systematically denied hearing that great old stuff otherwise. When else do you get a glam stomp in the mainstream now away from Slade & Wizzard surrounded by falling fake snow? When else do you get a glimpse of swing, blues, soul, or all that other great stuff? Is Fairytale of New York the most folk music that ever gets played?

Of course, I know I can't expect to hear Charlie Christian followed by JID followed by Ewan MacColl anywhere in a row apart from my own iPod and that a radio station has to please its office sitting demographics by taking the least objectionable path. But it all feels a little more... constricted these days than it did even when I was a kid.
Part of me wants to defend the idea of pushing new music, but the dismissal of "old music" is dumb.