The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Wine has come today
Those cheap ales can go away
Can't take them another day
I don't care what makes me sway
They say we drink too much anyway
Wine has come today
(Hey)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 12:54pm
My wife watched the special (our SmartTV shit was relentless in advertising it. Bad SmartTV, very bad!), I started watching but left after a bit. I like Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan song) and Nightfall (James Bond song) so I stayed for those two. The rest of her music is fine enough but doesn't do it for me. I also don't really love the way she over-projects her voice, especially in concert.

Also, the Oprah shit was insufferable and, frankly, I don't think either of them came off as - to put it charitably - very deep thinkers in it. Not sure why they thought it was a good choice to show that footage. Once Deep Thoughts With Oprah Handy Hour is thrown into any given mix, it gets clear quickly that I'm just very, very obviously not the intended audience.

Addendum: I'm being slightly uncharitable due to how much I disliked the interview segments I saw. I agree with Mrs. B's assessment that Rolling in the Deep sounds kinda like Dusty, which is unarguably a good thing.
I didn't watch the interview. Oprah unleashed "Drs" Phil and Oz into the world, so she is forever on my shitlist.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Wine has come today
Those cheap ales can go away
Can't take them another day
I don't care what makes me sway
They say we drink too much anyway
Wine has come today
(Hey)
Thanks you for (a) acknowledging my post and (b) improving on it so much. I thought about additional lyrics but got nowhere besides the first line. *glug glug glug* Wine!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
I didn't watch the interview. Oprah unleashed "Drs" Phil and Oz into the world, so she is forever on my shitlist.
My mother watched a lot of Oprah, so I occasionally caught bits and pieces. I recall her having a climatologist on who talked about global warming, to which Oprah smirked, “I dunno about you, but I wouldn’t mind warmer winters.” Applause, applause, victory lap. She’s a perfectly callow corporate liberal for other callow corporate liberals.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:28pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
My mother watched a lot of Oprah, so I occasionally caught bits and pieces. I recall her having a climatologist on who talked about global warming, to which Oprah smirked, “I dunno about you, but I wouldn’t mind warmer winters.” Applause, applause, victory lap. She’s a perfectly callow corporate liberal for other callow corporate liberals.
:yuck:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'll give Oprah this: when I was in, uh, 6th grade (?) I was getting a ride to school and the local "funny" DJ morning show was on and they told this joke:

If Oprah Winfrey married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah.

I don't believe that, at most, a month has gone by without me telling that joke to someone. Usually the same someones over and over and over again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:21pm
I'll give Oprah this: when I was in, uh, 6th grade (?) I was getting a ride to school and the local "funny" DJ morning show was on and they told this joke:

I don't believe that, at most, a month has gone by without me telling that joke to someone. Usually the same someones over and over and over again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:21pm

Why would they assume she'd surrender her name to him? /mrjokemisser

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:46pm
Remember, this joke was constructed before Obama came in and ruined America's moral fiber
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:46pm
Remember, this joke was constructed before Obama came in and ruined America's moral fiber
Shit, you're right. Thanks a lot, Obama.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 4:56pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey Doc. Didn't notice your post earlier. What kind of wine kit did you get? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own in a month or so. My parents are apparently getting me the All-In-One Wine Pump for Christmas, so I'll start my first batch at the end of the year. A friend just gave me his Italian floor corker, and I just need to pick up a wine thief and hydrometer and I'm pretty much set for equipment. I've also somehow managed to accumulate 8 carboys (4x 6-gallon and 4x 5-gallon) and about 150 empty bottles. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hey Doc. Didn't notice your post earlier. What kind of wine kit did you get? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own in a month or so. My parents are apparently getting me the All-In-One Wine Pump for Christmas, so I'll start my first batch at the end of the year. A friend just gave me his Italian floor corker, and I just need to pick up a wine thief and hydrometer and I'm pretty much set for equipment. I've also somehow managed to accumulate 8 carboys (4x 6-gallon and 4x 5-gallon) and about 150 empty bottles. :mrgreen:
Holy fudge, 8 carboys?!? I have two, plus the plastic pail. You'll be soused full time before you know it! I wouldn't worry about a wine thief. They aren't expensive but I just use a small measuring cup to scoop out some wine to measure specific gravity (you do need the hydrometer for that). You should also get a heating belt, especially if you're working in a basement in the winter. As for kits, I buy from Costco. I get a box with two kits (± 27 bottles each) in it for about CAD100. I only do red (pinot noir, cab sauv, or shiraz are my rotation*) and I don't filter when bottling. The last part is a bit unusual, but I find the flavour is more impactful that way. (Plus filtering is a pain the butt.) The main thing to be diligent about is cleaning your equipment at every stage. Don't skimp on whatever sterilizing agent you use. Do that and follow the directions on your kit and it's super easy.

If you've got any nuts-and-bolts questions as you get going, don't hesitate to ask me. Seriously, I'm a chimp and I can produce decent wine, so it's not hard.

* I've kept my eye out for a baco noir kit but haven't found one yet. We've bought a few bottles over the years and it is amazingly tasty.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 7:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Holy fudge, 8 carboys?!? I have two, plus the plastic pail. You'll be soused full time before you know it! I wouldn't worry about a wine thief. They aren't expensive but I just use a small measuring cup to scoop out some wine to measure specific gravity (you do need the hydrometer for that). You should also get a heating belt, especially if you're working in a basement in the winter. As for kits, I buy from Costco. I get a box with two kits (± 27 bottles each) in it for about CAD100. I only do red (pinot noir, cab sauv, or shiraz are my rotation*) and I don't filter when bottling. The last part is a bit unusual, but I find the flavour is more impactful that way. (Plus filtering is a pain the butt.) The main thing to be diligent about is cleaning your equipment at every stage. Don't skimp on whatever sterilizing agent you use. Do that and follow the directions on your kit and it's super easy.

If you've got any nuts-and-bolts questions as you get going, don't hesitate to ask me. Seriously, I'm a chimp and I can produce decent wine, so it's not hard.

* I've kept my eye out for a baco noir kit but haven't found one yet. We've bought a few bottles over the years and it is amazingly tasty.
Yeah, 8 of ‘em. :mrgreen: I had picked up two 6 gallons (one glass, one plastic, in the boxes in my pic), and then inherited 2 more when my father gave up on his beer making kit. A week ago a friend gave me his corker and 4 more carboys. I have a couple fermenting buckets too (5 and 6 gallon), and various airlocks, etc. I need to pick up some potassium metabisulfite for sanitizing (I have some Star-San, but I’ve heard it might leave a funny taste and is better for beer making). Also need corks, but I have a beer/wine homebrew store about 2 minutes away from me, run by a very nice family who are super helpful. I’ll dash out for that stuff at the last minute. I prefer reds too, but I plan to experiment with a few different wines. Costco sounds like a great deal.

Good to know about the filtering. Sounds like a pain. The pump I’m getting can supposedly do it with a few attachments, but I’ll see how it goes and maybe skip that step. Hoping I can do it upstairs if I can find a room with the right temp. I’ll let you know when I get started and will undoubtedly have some questions. Thanks.

And to stay on topic for the thread, here’s an observation: wine pairs well with music.

KimmelweckWinery.jpg
KimmelweckWinery.jpg (180.64 KiB) Viewed 453 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.