The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by weller259 »

I don't know how to embed tweets to here so I took a screen shot.
It was 56 years ago today that the Beatles played their final official live concert in San Francisco.
For those who don't truly appreciate the very greatness of them, mainly people younger than 35, here's a small fact from Billboard.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 721 times
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 4:48pm
You can just paste the url and it'll display automatically.
It was 56 years ago today that the Beatles played their final official live concert in San Francisco.
For those who don't truly appreciate the very greatness of them, mainly people younger than 35, here's a small fact from Billboard.
What's hard to imagine about that last tour was how flat and dispiriting it was. That was the summer of John's "bigger than Jesus" comment, which led to protests, record burnings, and assassination threats. Between that and the music no longer in the Beatlemania vein, neither the band nor much of the audience found the shows that appealing. Ticket sales were way down. The notion that people were getting tired of the Beatles is fucking nuts, yet there was truth to it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

weller259 wrote:
I can't be the only one here who can not name or even hum a single Drake song.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 7:11pm
weller259 wrote:
I know who he is, but gun to my head I couldn't identity his music.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 7:11pm
weller259 wrote:
I can say that for like 7 of those listed

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I can recognize a Garth Brooks song but only because he does that tasty cover of Hard Luck Woman :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 5:14pm
weller259 wrote:
You can just paste the url and it'll display automatically.
Oh sure, its that easy. lol. Thank you sir!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 5:14pm
What's hard to imagine about that last tour was how flat and dispiriting it was. That was the summer of John's "bigger than Jesus" comment, which led to protests, record burnings, and assassination threats. Between that and the music no longer in the Beatlemania vein, neither the band nor much of the audience found the shows that appealing. Ticket sales were way down. The notion that people were getting tired of the Beatles is fucking nuts, yet there was truth to it.
The whole Jesus thing was ridiculous to anyone with a functioning brain, not unlike today's republican ridiculousness, and to be fair to the Beatles, they didn't need to tour to make money or get exposure to their music, they hadn't needed to tour after 1964 really, and certainly after 1965's stadium shows they had nothing left to gain from live shows other than money so I totally understand them not wanting to do it anymore and not being very into doing it in 1966. Disinterested guys playing shows that the paying crowd came to see, not hear, trying to play new songs that weren't conducive to 1966-era sound technology, that last tour was definitely a mess. Still, I would have loved to see them. Hearing them would have been cool too. :twitch:
Last edited by weller259 on 29 Aug 2022, 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I’m actually most surprised by Elvis as his career peak was well before the modern album format.

And Drake has some tasty tunes.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 8:19pm
The whole Jesus thing was ridiculous to anyone with a functioning brain, not unlike today's republican ridiculousness, and to be fair to the Beatles, they didn't need to tour to make money or get exposure to their music, they hadn't needed to tour after 1964 really, and certainly after 1965's stadium shows they had nothing left to gain from live shows other than money so I totally understand them not wanting to do it anymore and not being very into doing it in 1966. Disinterested guys playing shows that the paying crowd came to see, not hear, trying to play new songs that weren't conducive to 1966-era sound technology, that last tour was definitely a mess. Still, I would have loved to see them. Hearing them would have been cool too. :twitch:
It was, in retrospect, pretty radical for them to quit touring. I mean, that’s what pop acts did. You made a record, you toured the fuck out of it, you took a short vacation, and repeat. The idea of not playing live anymore just wasn’t done, except for, say, Elvis, who’d started a new career. Even if we can see the pointlessness of touring now, for them to realize it and act on it was bold. It also really fucked up Brian Epstein because now, well, what exactly does he do? He books the tours (and skims like crazy). Hard not to see him spiralling downward because of all that.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 9:14pm
weller259 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 8:19pm
It was, in retrospect, pretty radical for them to quit touring. I mean, that’s what pop acts did. You made a record, you toured the fuck out of it, you took a short vacation, and repeat. The idea of not playing live anymore just wasn’t done, except for, say, Elvis, who’d started a new career. Even if we can see the pointlessness of touring now, for them to realize it and act on it was bold. It also really fucked up Brian Epstein because now, well, what exactly does he do? He books the tours (and skims like crazy). Hard not to see him spiralling downward because of all that.
Yes, exactly. It was the people around them that wanted the touring to continue because that meant $$$ not to mention that they actually sold massive amounts of records so they truly didn't need to tour anymore. And yes, that basically was the Epstein story, he did manage other groups but he really was the one who lost the most from it. The Beatles loved him so they didn't stop touring to hurt him in any way, he just lost himself. The Beatles were bold and they wrote their own rules but that is much easier to do when you have tons of money and worldwide admiration and fans who can't wait to buy your next album/single/book/movie. They did have the goods though.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

untitled1.jpg
untitled1.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

“It was nice to have some time off, it really was,” said frontman Chad Kroeger. “But now it’s great that there’s this new excitement. I keep seeing things on the internet like, ‘You know what the world needs? A new Nickelback record.’ I’m like, really?”
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/huge-fan-turnout- ... -1.6049390

Citation required, assclown.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 10:21am
“It was nice to have some time off, it really was,” said frontman Chad Kroeger. “But now it’s great that there’s this new excitement. I keep seeing things on the internet like, ‘You know what the world needs? A new Nickelback record.’ I’m like, really?”

Based on the quote, it seems like even he doesn't really believe it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Speaking of, June started Kindergarten a few weeks ago and they had a welcome bbq thing last weekend. DJ or playlist or whatever included "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "How You Remind Me", and Usher's "Yeah!" amongst other songs. I then realized these were now parent songs and I was like,
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 10:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Speaking of, June started Kindergarten a few weeks ago and they had a welcome bbq thing last weekend. DJ or playlist or whatever included "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "How You Remind Me", and Usher's "Yeah!" amongst other songs. I then realized these were now parent songs and I was like,
I get that all the time in my rock class. Students will be talking about the music their parents listened to in high school, and I immediately default to The Beatles or The Who, and they come back with REM, The Cure, GNR, or Nirvana. I know that I'm the same age as their parents, but it's still a bit of cold water every time.