Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:12pm
revbob wrote:
18 May 2023, 5:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 1:27pm
Just popped in my brain:

Maybe the first—certainly one of the first—industrial songs I ever heard. A whole lot cornier when you're not 15. :meh:
A lot of that stuff (industrial) didn't age well.
It just comes off as a too-hard effort at being dark and edgy and scary.
I think uncle Al has managed to avoid the dated sound

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just popped in my brain:

Maybe the first—certainly one of the first—industrial songs I ever heard. A whole lot cornier when you're not 15. :meh:
Years since I listened to Ministry. Never fully got on that train.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:37pm
revbob wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just popped in my brain:

Years since I listened to Ministry. Never fully got on that train.
I always liked this one

But yeah, it hasn't aged well. I doubt Pretty Hate Machine has aged well at all either.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im in a bar and there's a bunch of people excitedly talking about going to see DMB. And none of them are Flex.

A few of them are regulars here and I just lost more respect for them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:51pm
I always liked this one

But yeah, it hasn't aged well. I doubt Pretty Hate Machine has aged well at all either.
It's like there's 15 little ideas there that just get thrown into the hopper. I'm good with the aesthetic, but it's just a bunch of stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
18 May 2023, 7:08pm
Im in a bar and there's a bunch of people excitedly talking about going to see DMB. And none of them are Flex.

I can see maybe going to a show, but with only three original members left, I dunno about being excited about it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
19 May 2023, 2:44pm
revbob wrote:

I can see maybe going to a show, but with only three original members left, I dunno about being excited about it.
Didn't know Boyd left. Carter is still a beast tho. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

I can't tell i you're joking or not

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2023, 3:44pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

You don't pay enough attention to me, it's clear

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
19 May 2023, 3:24pm
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

Didn't know Boyd left. Carter is still a beast tho. :cool:
Boyd was "asked to leave."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
19 May 2023, 5:11pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

No I do but Im still not sure.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
19 May 2023, 5:16pm
Kory wrote:
19 May 2023, 5:11pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:

No I do but Im still not sure.
I've seen them live a couple times, I like them the way a musician likes other skilled musicians. I mostly lost interest in them around 2005.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/6-theoret ... ly-drafts/

This reminds of a (to my memory) funny sketch that was on the short-lived House of Buggin' in the 90s. The premise was a documentary on the lost Village Person, whose persona was medieval knight and outfit was a full set of armor. So he was clunking around on stage with the others, trying to do "Macho Man" and "YMCA." The other aspect was his ignorance that he was in a gay group, and as the sketch went on it slowly dawned on him, concluding, "Huh, I guess we did do a lot of songs about guys hanging out together." Tragically, I can find *zero* reference to this sketch online—not on youtube, not even discussions, which makes me think I'm confused.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2023, 8:58am
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/6-theoret ... ly-drafts/

This reminds of a (to my memory) funny sketch that was on the short-lived House of Buggin' in the 90s. The premise was a documentary on the lost Village Person, whose persona was medieval knight and outfit was a full set of armor. So he was clunking around on stage with the others, trying to do "Macho Man" and "YMCA." The other aspect was his ignorance that he was in a gay group, and as the sketch went on it slowly dawned on him, concluding, "Huh, I guess we did do a lot of songs about guys hanging out together." Tragically, I can find *zero* reference to this sketch online—not on youtube, not even discussions, which makes me think I'm confused.
I 100% remember this sketch. I didn't remember it specifically from House of Buggin' which, holy shit, I have not thought about since probably 1996, but that's definitely possible.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Guns n Roses filmed this show in 1991 post-Adler, pre-Izzy exodus and didn't release it until 2018. Regardless of what you think about the band/song/etc, this footage looks spectacular - close ups, distant shots, slow pans, quick cuts, lots of fan shots (that mosh pit shot right when the band kicks in reminds you that this band hadn't fully given into Illusion era bloat just yet). The fact that they sat on this (other than using clips in the You Could Be Mine video) gives me some modicum of hope for things like the Lewisham audio getting released some day. Basically, it's not just The Clash that sits on amazing stuff for no good reason.