The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2023, 10:49am

Guns n Roses filmed this show in 1991 post-Adler, pre-Izzy exodus and didn't release it until 2018. Regardless of what you think about the band/song/etc, this footage looks spectacular - close ups, distant shots, slow pans, quick cuts, lots of fan shots (that mosh pit shot right when the band kicks in reminds you that this band hadn't fully given into Illusion era bloat just yet). The fact that they sat on this (other than using clips in the You Could Be Mine video) gives me some modicum of hope for things like the Lewisham audio getting released some day. Basically, it's not just The Clash that sits on amazing stuff for no good reason.
I'd honestly love this as a live album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2023, 10:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2023, 8:58am
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/6-theoret ... ly-drafts/

This reminds of a (to my memory) funny sketch that was on the short-lived House of Buggin' in the 90s. The premise was a documentary on the lost Village Person, whose persona was medieval knight and outfit was a full set of armor. So he was clunking around on stage with the others, trying to do "Macho Man" and "YMCA." The other aspect was his ignorance that he was in a gay group, and as the sketch went on it slowly dawned on him, concluding, "Huh, I guess we did do a lot of songs about guys hanging out together." Tragically, I can find *zero* reference to this sketch online—not on youtube, not even discussions, which makes me think I'm confused.
I 100% remember this sketch. I didn't remember it specifically from House of Buggin' which, holy shit, I have not thought about since probably 1996, but that's definitely possible.
Thank fuck I'm not imagining it. Tho maybe I'm wrong about it being House of Buggin'. MadTV maybe?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2023, 11:16am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This reminds of a (to my memory) funny sketch that was on the short-lived House of Buggin' in the 90s. The premise was a documentary on the lost Village Person, whose persona was medieval knight and outfit was a full set of armor. So he was clunking around on stage with the others, trying to do "Macho Man" and "YMCA." The other aspect was his ignorance that he was in a gay group, and as the sketch went on it slowly dawned on him, concluding, "Huh, I guess we did do a lot of songs about guys hanging out together." Tragically, I can find *zero* reference to this sketch online—not on youtube, not even discussions, which makes me think I'm confused.
I 100% remember this sketch. I didn't remember it specifically from House of Buggin' which, holy shit, I have not thought about since probably 1996, but that's definitely possible.
Thank fuck I'm not imagining it. Tho maybe I'm wrong about it being House of Buggin'. MadTV maybe?
The State?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Your initial memory was correct:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2023, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Your initial memory was correct:
While I'm glad I haven't been hallucinating it all this time, why does it not exist online anywhere?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I honestly had no knowledge of that show, or even that John leguziamo used to be a stand up comic, really. Seems like the sort of show that would be ripe for a specialty dvd release.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2023, 12:18pm
I honestly had no knowledge of that show, or even that John leguziamo used to be a stand up comic, really. Seems like the sort of show that would be ripe for a specialty dvd release.
One season, ten episodes. Seems perfect for Shout Factory.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2023, 12:18pm
To be fair, you are less obsessed with 1994 than I am.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20230523_124111_Instagram.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
23 May 2023, 12:42pm
:approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
23 May 2023, 12:42pm
Love it, saved a copy to my "Clash" folder.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

With an acknowledgment that we all age... this is kind of rough.

She still sounds good on this version from 2009:

It might not be fair to compare this against the Nocturne version (complete with Robert Smith on guitar)... but...

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:11am

It might not be fair to compare this against the Nocturne version (complete with Robert Smith on guitar)... but...
Agreed, it's kind of rough, but that goes with the territory when you get older. My hat's off to her to having the guts and the drive to go out on tour at age 65, probably knowing that it's not going to be the way it used to be, but her fans appreciated it I'm sure.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
25 May 2023, 1:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Agreed, it's kind of rough, but that goes with the territory when you get older. My hat's off to her to having the guts and the drive to go out on tour at age 65, probably knowing that it's not going to be the way it used to be, but her fans appreciated it I'm sure.
I go back and forth on this. I respect the heck out of Paul Simon, for instance, for retiring from touring. If you're Mick Jagger and you still sound like it's 1973 - go for it. I think I actually posed this question a few years back, but is there a retirement age for performers? Or is it go until you literally can't go on stage anymore?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 May 2023, 4:03pm
Sparky wrote:
25 May 2023, 1:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I go back and forth on this. I respect the heck out of Paul Simon, for instance, for retiring from touring. If you're Mick Jagger and you still sound like it's 1973 - go for it. I think I actually posed this question a few years back, but is there a retirement age for performers? Or is it go until you literally can't go on stage anymore?
I'm have to agree with you, it takes a lot of self searching to know when it's time to hang it up, I'm guessing this will be Siouxsie's last tour.