The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:51pm
I think the Clash got it about right on the CR tour. 6 songs from CR and the rest a career spanning highlights set. Their 1981 sets were interesting for the hardcore fan but could be a tad self-indulgent.
Given that four of the songs they'd play from CR were singles, that leans to a virtual greatest hits kind of show. I'm more partial to Kory's position and the way Wire used to do things—performance was mostly for testing out new material or the recently released. Old stuff is old stuff, and unless approached in a new way, what's the point? I'm not a fan of replication of what's already been done. There should be something distinct going on.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:57pm
Heston wrote:
I think the Clash got it about right on the CR tour. 6 songs from CR and the rest a career spanning highlights set. Their 1981 sets were interesting for the hardcore fan but could be a tad self-indulgent.
Given that four of the songs they'd play from CR were singles, that leans to a virtual greatest hits kind of show. I'm more partial to Kory's position and the way Wire used to do things—performance was mostly for testing out new material or the recently released. Old stuff is old stuff, and unless approached in a new way, what's the point? I'm not a fan of replication of what's already been done. There should be something distinct going on.
I don't get that at all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:50pm
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:29pm
And where is Lovecats, their most famous song (in the UK anyway)?
Friday I'm in Love and Lullaby both charted higher.
Charted higher yes, but Lovecats was on the chart for twice as long as both. I'd bet my house it was their best selling single in the UK, and the one that is remembered most by the public.
You may be so wonderfully wonderfully correct. Although it doesn't hit number one in Cure polls.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I don't get that at all.
If it sounds like it does on the live albums or the last ten tours or, worse, the studio album, it's a yawn for me.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 2:09pm
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I don't get that at all.
If it sounds like it does on the live albums or the last ten tours or, worse, the studio album, it's a yawn for me.
Not defending the CR material but Joe would often make stuff more exciting by adding ad-libs etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Generally, I prefer sets that are heavy on new and/or underappreciated material - or drastic reworkings of classic songs - with a smattering of the hits to punctuate things. That's assuming that the band is still a basically functioning entity, and not purely a golden moldies act (in which case, do what you gotta do to get paid). Definitely prefer it when a band reworks or subverts expectations in some way.

If I just wanted to hear a band's greatest hits, I'd play their greatest hits cd and save 60-120 bucks. And there are special occasions (such as the beach boys 50th, when they play 50+ hit singles along with some new stuff) where a greatest hits set makes sense. Anniversaries, festivals and special reunions and such.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Agree with all the points that support my case and also want to throw another one here. The thing that really bugs me about my guitarist's position is his sense of entitlement about it. He gets literally and visibly frustrated if live acts don't play the songs he likes. I tell him the artist doesn't owe him anything at all. Which in his case is very true because he doesn't buy recorded music.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:44pm
Agree with all the points that support my case and also want to throw another one here. The thing that really bugs me about my guitarist's position is his sense of entitlement about it. He gets literally and visibly frustrated if live acts don't play the songs he likes. I tell him the artist doesn't owe him anything at all. Which in his case is very true because he doesn't buy recorded music.
So, he's giving me the thumbs me to steal your record when it comes out?

But what a band plays is as much a consumer risk as when you buy their new album. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Maybe it'll have songs you dig, maybe not. Your money buys you an opportunity to hear something, not a guarantee that you'll approve of what you hear.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Some bands play what they like. If their choices make you happy, great show. Some bands play what people want to hear (greatest hits, etc.). If that makes you happy, great show. Some bands dwell in the grey area in between. I'm going to see Elvis 11/2. He's going to play some songs he likes best that I may not hold to the same level of esteem. I won't hate them but they wouldn't be my top choices. As I've aged, I've developed an additional interest in why did the artist play that song (the answer is easy if it a greatest hit but the artist may like it as well).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:

But what a band plays is as much a consumer risk as when you buy their new album. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. Maybe it'll have songs you dig, maybe not. Your money buys you an opportunity to hear something, not a guarantee that you'll approve of what you hear.
Why can't you be my guitarist instead of this arrogant, entitled Greatest Hits fiend

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Why can't you be my guitarist instead of this arrogant, entitled Greatest Hits fiend
What I offer in perspective I more than give back in musical ability.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:25pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

How do you feel about management?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 2:29pm
Generally, I prefer sets that are heavy on new and/or underappreciated material - or drastic reworkings of classic songs - with a smattering of the hits to punctuate things. That's assuming that the band is still a basically functioning entity, and not purely a golden moldies act (in which case, do what you gotta do to get paid). Definitely prefer it when a band reworks or subverts expectations in some way.

If I just wanted to hear a band's greatest hits, I'd play their greatest hits cd and save 60-120 bucks. And there are special occasions (such as the beach boys 50th, when they play 50+ hit singles along with some new stuff) where a greatest hits set makes sense. Anniversaries, festivals and special reunions and such.
Depends on the act. If it's one I know super well, I'm more inclined to want to hear something new/different. I don't want to hear Bruce play Thunder Road, but I'd nut if he dropped NYC Serenade on me. That being said, if his new album sucks (which they sometimes do), I'm less inclined to want to hear Working on a Dream or Good Eye if it's 2009 vs. Badlands.

If I go see U2, I want to hear some hits. I don't give a shit about a Boy deep cut or whatever is on their new album.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:25pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

How do you feel about management?
I'd be more of a McLaren/Bernie intellectual co-conspirator rather than a nuts and bolts accomplish stuff guy.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:50pm
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:29pm
And where is Lovecats, their most famous song (in the UK anyway)?
Friday I'm in Love and Lullaby both charted higher.
Charted higher yes, but Lovecats was on the chart for twice as long as both. I'd bet my house it was their best selling single in the UK, and the one that is remembered most by the public.
Caterpillar far and away my favourite Cure tune.