Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:22am
I like Out of Time. May not stand up against their best work, but any album with at least 3 stone cold classic cuts on it doesn't deserve Idissing in my book anyway.
Out of Time is that persistent cough that a more perceptive person thinks should warrant a doctor's appointment. Maybe it's not lung cancer, but this is a warning that should be followed up upon.
My doc recommends a course of repeated playings of Belong, Near Wild Heaven and Endgame which will ooze down that throat like the sweetest Lozenges you've ever tasted and have you purring along to those delicious harmonies in no time at all.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I like Out of Time. May not stand up against their best work, but any album with at least 3 stone cold classic cuts on it doesn't deserve Idissing in my book anyway.
Out of Time is that persistent cough that a more perceptive person thinks should warrant a doctor's appointment. Maybe it's not lung cancer, but this is a warning that should be followed up upon.
My doc recommends a course of repeated playings of Belong, Near Wild Heaven and Endgame which will ooze down that throat like the sweetest Lozenges you've ever tasted and have you purring along to those delicious harmonies in no time at all.
Your doctor better have really good malpractice insurance because your family is going to sue the fuck out of them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Your doctor better have really good malpractice insurance because your family is going to sue the fuck out of them.
I've just checked with Dr Van Nostrand and he says no worries and he doesn't mind being sued as his own lawyer, a Mr Chiles, is the best in the business.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
03 May 2022, 12:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I've just checked with Dr Van Nostrand and he says no worries and he doesn't mind being sued as his own lawyer, a Mr Chiles, is the best in the business.
:lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:
I was sure that Country Feedback would be one of the three. An amazing song.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
03 May 2022, 12:52pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I was sure that Country Feedback would be one of the three. An amazing song.
Agree, that is a great track and probably a lot of people's favourite on the record. The only thing dragging it down for me is the presence of SHP and LMR. I really just don't like either of those songs.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:11am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 May 2022, 10:51am
INXS is also a regular on the Replacements Pandora station. The are a criminally under appreciate band. Great songs.
I agree. I hear them a lot on 1st Wave on Sirius XM and also always think: damn, they're way better than I've ever given them credit for.
Nobody gives them credit for digging up and reanimating Buddy Holly's corpse.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

REM needs to go back to playing music like this:

Was going to include in my next pack of 3s but this is just too good to sit on any longer

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
03 May 2022, 2:12pm

Was going to include in my next pack of 3s but this is just too good to sit on any longer

Yeah but like didn't they split up in 2011.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2022, 2:22pm
revbob wrote:

This was my not so subtle way of steering the conversation away from REM and more toward the band being hailed as the new REM: Puppy and the Hanjobs. "The band Michael Stipe wishes REM could have been".

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
03 May 2022, 2:30pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 May 2022, 2:22pm
revbob wrote:

This was my not so subtle way of steering the conversation away from REM and more toward the band being hailed as the new REM: Puppy and the Hanjobs. "The band Michael Stipe wishes REM could have been".
You failed. Try harder.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2022, 7:38am
Biography of John McGeoch soon: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... xsie-sioux
Cool stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2022, 7:38am
Biography of John McGeoch soon: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... xsie-sioux
Excellent! One of my fave all time guitarists, but criminally underrated. His work on Kaleidoscope and Juju is incredible, not to mention everything else he played on. I recall Robert Smith once mentioning how difficult it was replacing him, not just on the technical side, but also an innovator.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is great. Taken from Pitchfork's review of R.E.M.'s Up, but relevant for many bands:

1. The Vital Stage: This is where the band cuts their important and vital body of work. It's groundbreaking, always influential, and people talk about the songs and albums with an air of reverence for years to come. This period usually ends with the artist's landmark record. For the Rolling Stones, this includes everything up through Exile on Main Street. For Eric Clapton, it include everything up through Layla and Other Love Songs. For Aerosmith, it includes everything up through Rocks. For R.E.M., it includes everything up to Automatic for the People.

2. The Catch-Up Stage: When a band reaches this point in their career, the newer musicians that they've influenced have branched out in other directions, or a new musical style has hit the mainstream. Either way, they end up looking horribly out of place. The band overcompensates for this by releasing material that tries to make them seem hip to today's audience, or by going into self- imposed exile. Aerosmith was forced into that exile by drugs and eventually made the cock- rock- influenced albums Permanent Vacation and Pump. (Contrary to the norm, these were actually listenable records. But this is my dissertation, so there.) Eric Clapton was forced into it by drugs and depression. The Rolling Stones made disco records. For R.E.M., it was the grunge- influenced Monster.

3. The Old Fart Stage: Creatively, it's pretty much over when a band makes it to this point in their careers. Having been forced into the realization that they look pretty damned silly when they try to be hip, they settle into a mode of experimenting with different sounds and not really excelling with any of them, or they realize they can record themselves taking a shit and people will still buy. Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones are part of the "shitters." Eric Clapton does both.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble