The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I was working a little late today and my wife turned on the TV and found the American Music Awards or something.

I made the mistake of not continuing to work because this led to an argument because I didn't want to watch/listen to New Kids on the Block or basically any of the music being played followed by a few rounds of do you even know who _____ is? How could you not know this song? Ugh, now I want a beer...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Nov 2021, 10:33pm
I was working a little late today and my wife turned on the TV and found the American Music Awards or something.

I made the mistake of not continuing to work because this led to an argument because I didn't want to watch/listen to New Kids on the Block or basically any of the music being played followed by a few rounds of do you even know who _____ is? How could you not know this song? Ugh, now I want a beer...
Last week, some concert by Adele and *omigodomigodomigod* interview with Oprah was advertised incessantly and I made the mistake of saying to the Boss that I couldn't identify a single Adele song if I heard it. I've heard of her and I've probably heard her music while walking thru a mall or at a restaurant, but that's it. She looked at me like I was crazy. I feel no shame for not knowing the music of Oprah fans.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 7:23am
revbob wrote:

Last week, some concert by Adele and *omigodomigodomigod* interview with Oprah was advertised incessantly and I made the mistake of saying to the Boss that I couldn't identify a single Adele song if I heard it. I've heard of her and I've probably heard her music while walking thru a mall or at a restaurant, but that's it. She looked at me like I was crazy. I feel no shame for not knowing the music of Oprah fans.
It was shown here on Sunday night. I went nowhere near the television on Sunday night let's leave it there.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 8:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It was shown here on Sunday night. I went nowhere near the television on Sunday night let's leave it there.
You and I may have missed the Beatles on Sullivan moment of the 2020s. We'll be unpopular! :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 8:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You and I may have missed the Beatles on Sullivan moment of the 2020s. We'll be unpopular! :shifty:
You'll be in good company. My wife didn't see any promos for that one, I did my best to make sure she didn't. Its been a contentious few weeks. She brought up Taylor Swift one day and she didnt like my response. She mentioned Gayle King as well(apparently a friend of Oprah and a news person of some sort). She was incredulous that I didn't know who that was.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 9:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

You'll be in good company. My wife didn't see any promos for that one, I did my best to make sure she didn't. Its been a contentious few weeks. She brought up Taylor Swift one day and she didnt like my response. She mentioned Gayle King as well(apparently a friend of Oprah and a news person of some sort). She was incredulous that I didn't know who that was.
In a connected way, it reminds me of the gasps and tut-tutting a year or two ago when Billie Eilish (yay! I know who she is!) said she'd never heard of Eddie Van Halen. But why should she? What relevance is/was Eddie Van Halen to her life? It's because we have so many celebrities that we can't be expected to know them all. There's only so much time and effort that we have to devote to things, so, yeah, we ignore a lot. It has little to do with being "out of touch" but rather than volume of popular culture and its fracturing. And in the grand scheme of things, not knowing Taylor Swift's latest single or the stars of the new Marvel movie isn't really a damning criticism.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

No change there then. Now if it had been a faked moon landing...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

If the moon doesn't exist, how can we land on it? :crazy:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 9:23am
revbob wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 9:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In a connected way, it reminds me of the gasps and tut-tutting a year or two ago when Billie Eilish (yay! I know who she is!) said she'd never heard of Eddie Van Halen. But why should she? What relevance is/was Eddie Van Halen to her life? It's because we have so many celebrities that we can't be expected to know them all. There's only so much time and effort that we have to devote to things, so, yeah, we ignore a lot. It has little to do with being "out of touch" but rather than volume of popular culture and its fracturing. And in the grand scheme of things, not knowing Taylor Swift's latest single or the stars of the new Marvel movie isn't really a damning criticism.
Yeah, no big deal she didn't know EVH, although you could say as a musician she probably should have had some inkling. But yeah, shoulder shrug by me and move on.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 10:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If the moon doesn't exist, how can we land on it? :crazy:
Stupid...of course the moon exists I saw it out of my bedroom window just last night. However I couldn't see anyone landing on it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Her music is fine and she does have a great voice. Her tracks are impeccably produced too. So I get the lack of appeal, but she's fine with me. Since it's super popular it does get overplayed. Her ballads tend to be very vanilla, but some of her other stuff is more interesting, "Rolling in the Deep", just listened to a song on the new album "Oh My God" which is a lot more soul/R&B influenced and it sounds pretty good.

Basically, there's worse mainstream music out there.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 12:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Her music is fine and she does have a great voice. Her tracks are impeccably produced too. So I get the lack of appeal, but she's fine with me. Since it's super popular it does get overplayed. Her ballads tend to be very vanilla, but some of her other stuff is more interesting, "Rolling in the Deep", just listened to a song on the new album "Oh My God" which is a lot more soul/R&B influenced and it sounds pretty good.

The elusive HoynnyB. I love Rolling in the Deep. It's got such a Dusty Springfield feel to it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My wife watched the special (our SmartTV shit was relentless in advertising it. Bad SmartTV, very bad!), I started watching but left after a bit. I like Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan song) and Nightfall (James Bond song) so I stayed for those two. The rest of her music is fine enough but doesn't do it for me. I also don't really love the way she over-projects her voice, especially in concert.

Also, the Oprah shit was insufferable and, frankly, I don't think either of them came off as - to put it charitably - very deep thinkers in it. Not sure why they thought it was a good choice to show that footage. Once Deep Thoughts With Oprah Handy Hour is thrown into any given mix, it gets clear quickly that I'm just very, very obviously not the intended audience.

Addendum: I'm being slightly uncharitable due to how much I disliked the interview segments I saw. I agree with Mrs. B's assessment that Rolling in the Deep sounds kinda like Dusty, which is unarguably a good thing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 12:22pm
You’re never going to make it sales, son. Have you thought of, I dunno, engineering?