Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 4:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 1:56pm
Yikes, Matt Johnson almost died this summer of a throat infection: https://www.thethe.com/the-lowdown-lockdown/
I really need to check out TT. I've been meaning to for years. Does one just go chronologically?
Soul Mining and Infected are similar in sound (v. 80s midi kind of stuff), as are Mind Bomb and Dusk (a more traditional band structure, w/ Johnny Marr on guitar). Those four are the key records, I'd say. Burning Blue Soul is a bit patchy to me, as is, to a lesser degree, Nakedself. Hanky Panky is an all-Hank Williams Sr. cover album that got ripped at the time, but has improved with age for me.
I'll take a look, thanks!
Extra neatness about Infected: There's a video for every song. It was one of the first (maybe the first) records that was also released as a video album.
I always knew that Beyonce was a biter.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 5:13pm
Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 4:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 3:51pm

I really need to check out TT. I've been meaning to for years. Does one just go chronologically?
Soul Mining and Infected are similar in sound (v. 80s midi kind of stuff), as are Mind Bomb and Dusk (a more traditional band structure, w/ Johnny Marr on guitar). Those four are the key records, I'd say. Burning Blue Soul is a bit patchy to me, as is, to a lesser degree, Nakedself. Hanky Panky is an all-Hank Williams Sr. cover album that got ripped at the time, but has improved with age for me.
I'll take a look, thanks!
Extra neatness about Infected: There's a video for every song. It was one of the first (maybe the first) records that was also released as a video album.
I always knew that Beyonce was a biter.
I listened to Infected late this afternoon. Goddamn, whenever I hear it, I think it's in the Top 10 of the 80s, even tho I know there are better and more meaningful records.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 9:43pm
Had a great result a month or so back. A mate of mine picked thousands of cds in a collection someone was selling. He said in amongst them was all this punk crap by some band called Bad Religion. He asked me if I wanted them. Big grin spread across my face as I said "yeah i'll give them a go mate". 12 cds all in great condition and he didn't want anything for them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 11:45am
revbob wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 9:43pm
Had a great result a month or so back. A mate of mine picked thousands of cds in a collection someone was selling. He said in amongst them was all this punk crap by some band called Bad Religion. He asked me if I wanted them. Big grin spread across my face as I said "yeah i'll give them a go mate". 12 cds all in great condition and he didn't want anything for them.
Sweet deal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Last edited by revbob on 01 Nov 2021, 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 4:52pm

There's plenty of live audio available—official and boot—but I don't think I've seen much for video, tho.
I know you are referring to all era Velvets, but per cursory research, there is just one decent audio bootleg of them playing live with Nico (the Valleydale 66 show included on the 45th anniversary set) and apparently this is the only video+audio footage of them:

I know that bootlegging was just becoming a thing around this time, but that still seems surprising given the Warhol connection.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 1:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 4:52pm

There's plenty of live audio available—official and boot—but I don't think I've seen much for video, tho.
I know you are referring to all era Velvets, but per cursory research, there is just one decent audio bootleg of them playing live with Nico (the Valleydale 66 show included on the 45th anniversary set) and apparently this is the only video+audio footage of them:

I know that bootlegging was just becoming a thing around this time, but that still seems surprising given the Warhol connection.
That is surprising. Warhol was making films by that point, so it would seem an obvious choice to film his band, even if only for some undreamt-of-project.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Keeping up the VU observations, Sunday Morning into Waiting is so gloriously jarring. The first album is just head and shoulders above the others.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 4:48pm
Keeping up the VU observations, Sunday Morning into Waiting is so gloriously jarring. The first album is just head and shoulders above the others.
I love all of VU's albums, but to say something shamelessly boomerish, that album is so fucking good it kinda transcends the form.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 7:06pm
matedog wrote:
I love all of VU's albums, but to say something shamelessly boomerish, that album is so fucking good it kinda transcends the form.
Flex loves Squeeze. Noted.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 8:38pm
Flex wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 7:06pm
matedog wrote:
Dang, I thought about making a similar joke, but changed my mind. Glad someone has more gumption.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Some people try to rehabilitate those post-Morrison Doors albums but to my knowledge no one makes that attempt with Squeeze. Sad!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 9:30pm
matedog wrote:
Some people try to rehabilitate those post-Morrison Doors albums but to my knowledge no one makes that attempt with Squeeze. Sad!
I listened to it a few years back. It wasn't the trainwreck I was led to expect. Bland more than anything else.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »