The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Joy Division/New Order have been nominated for the Rock Hall of Fame. Interesting that they're lumping them together. Same thing happened with The Small Faces / Faces, which is a similar story. One band loses a lead singer, but they continue on with a new member or two.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 4:22pm
Joy Division/New Order have been nominated for the Rock Hall of Fame. Interesting that they're lumping them together. Same thing happened with The Small Faces / Faces, which is a similar story. One band loses a lead singer, but they continue on with a new member or two.
Can the first halfs of each pairing just get in? Joy Division/Small Faces is a nomination I'd vote for.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
I hate that institution so much.

The only thing worthwhile is whether Peter Hook would show up and how much gritted teeth grinning would be involved by the others.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

The more I think about the pairing move the funnier it is. What other asinine pairings would the Rock Hall put together? Uncle Tupelo/Wilco stands out.

Addendum: Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave. That'd be a good brain melting one.

Addendum II: Actually, it'd be even funnier if they did it the other way around. Nominate Van Halen but be clear it's only Diamond Dave era Van that's being inducted.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 4:40pm
WestwayKid wrote:

The only thing worthwhile is whether Peter Hook would show up and how much gritted teeth grinning would be involved by the others.
Also, who will the hall choose to induct? Hooky, Sumner, Curtis, Morris, and Gilbert for sure. Does Phil Cunningham get included? He played on 2 albums and has been a member since 2001.

I agree that the institution is a joke. That said, if we're talking about bands that have been a big influence on the genre, Joy Division/New Order would belong in such an institution.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Also, who will the hall choose to induct? Hooky, Sumner, Curtis, Morris, and Gilbert for sure. Does Phil Cunningham get included? He played on 2 albums and has been a member since 2001.

I agree that the institution is a joke. That said, if we're talking about bands that have been a big influence on the genre, Joy Division/New Order would belong in such an institution.
It's because they are influential within a particular genre that they don't belong in there. That's the problem. Punk and post-punk and underground genres get sterilized by inclusion in something like that. The last good thing Lydon did was tell the RRHoF to go fuck itself.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

It's because they are influential within a particular genre that they don't belong in there. That's the problem. Punk and post-punk and underground genres get sterilized by inclusion in something like that. The last good thing Lydon did was tell the RRHoF to go fuck itself.
Was that before or after his latter day masterpiece, Psycho's Path?

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

After. When he wrote to the RRHoF calling them a piss stain.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:05pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay, then I agree it's the last good thing Lydon did. Besides help Make America Great Again, of course.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Okay, then I agree it's the last good thing Lydon did. Besides help Make America Great Again, of course.
Make Ireland Win Eurovision is next on his bucket list.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Not even John backing Trump could make America great again. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:09pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Agreed. You can't be great again when you never stopped being great in the first place. :cool:

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

Agreed. You can't be great again when you never stopped being great in the first place. :cool:
Hey! it's Great Britain not Great America. Though you did have the Great depression so you win that one. Though the way our current government is out performing itself we're heading there. 😕

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:14pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hey! it's Great Britain not Great America. Though you did have the Great depression so you win that one. Though the way our current government is out performing itself we're heading there. 😕
I was going to mention a nearby theme park, but this image came up for it:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:14pm
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:

I was going to mention a nearby theme park, but this image came up for it:
Let's make America a theme park again.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia