Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 12:43am
Flex wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 8:31pm
Kory wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 7:40pm
I'm with you Tom, I have a soft spot for all the radio pop of the last few years: Cyrus, Perry, Jepsen—the list goes on, I think. They are none of them Kylie, but who could possibly reach that height?
Uuuhhhh, Miley and Jepsen are heads and shoulders above Katy Perry. Katy Perry is The Worst.
Katy Perry hasn’t had a decent song in forever (though the new single is alright). That being said there were like eight really good singles off that Teenage Dream. Also “Hot and Cold” is a banger from the first big album.

But yeah, CRJ is amazing. She’s the only artist that has made my Tasty Cutz playlists every year since 2015 and hell yeah she’s going to make 2019. Either “Too Much” or “Want You In My Room” if you are curious.

Miley has three good songs - Party In the USA, Wrecking Ball, and We Can’t Stop. She’s a few tiers below the others.
Re: Miley, I think what she's been doing the last few years is conceptually more interesting than anyone else mentioned here so far. Bangerz is solid front to back, and Dead Petz is weird and cool. Her new EP is rock solid as well. Her messy search for identity and how to fuse her disparate influences and backgrounds together, and doing it very publicly and on her records, has been a really fascinating process to see. That it seems like she's putting it all together on this round of music is narratively very satisfying as well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Post Punk is essentially art rock played by art students. Not Gentle Giant or Genesis prog, with all the crazy time changes and shit, but more the Eno-Kraut-Floyd orbits. But Robert Smith and Geordie Walker both had classical guitar training, which you can tell by the weird 7add9sus13dim or whatever chords they drove through their Memory Men and flangers. It's funny how the punk ethos made a lot of people who clearly had real training pretend to be street urchins raised by wolves who happened to find a bass in the trash or something.
to
I'm far from the biggest Katy Perry fan but tell me this pre chorus isn't simply beautiful. The whole song isnt bad and worth a listen but the pre chorus from 1.35-1.55 is outstanding. Headphones. Loud.
in three posts gave me whiplash.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 9:49pm
And who the fuck is Jepsen?
Carly Rae Jepson of Call Me Maybe fame, not a bad number, overplayed though. Cut To The Feeling is a great number of hers though.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 4:19am
revbob wrote:
Carly Rae Jepson of Call Me Maybe fame, not a bad number, overplayed though. Cut To The Feeling is a great number of hers though.
I was better off being ignorant in this case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bob and I finally got together to evaluate the state of popular music.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
I'm with you Tom, I have a soft spot for all the radio pop of the last few years: Cyrus, Perry, Jepsen—the list goes on, I think. They are none of them Kylie, but who could possibly reach that height?
Jepsen doesn't belong in that list - she's actually talented.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 8:27am
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
If Cut to the Feeling doesn't move you, I don't know what to tell you. That song is stellar.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 12:59am
matedog wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 12:43am
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Uuuhhhh, Miley and Jepsen are heads and shoulders above Katy Perry. Katy Perry is The Worst.
Katy Perry hasn’t had a decent song in forever (though the new single is alright). That being said there were like eight really good singles off that Teenage Dream. Also “Hot and Cold” is a banger from the first big album.

But yeah, CRJ is amazing. She’s the only artist that has made my Tasty Cutz playlists every year since 2015 and hell yeah she’s going to make 2019. Either “Too Much” or “Want You In My Room” if you are curious.

Miley has three good songs - Party In the USA, Wrecking Ball, and We Can’t Stop. She’s a few tiers below the others.
Re: Miley, I think what she's been doing the last few years is conceptually more interesting than anyone else mentioned here so far. Bangerz is solid front to back, and Dead Petz is weird and cool. Her new EP is rock solid as well. Her messy search for identity and how to fuse her disparate influences and backgrounds together, and doing it very publicly and on her records, has been a really fascinating process to see. That it seems like she's putting it all together on this round of music is narratively very satisfying as well.
Admittedly, I haven't listened to too much new Miley and am doing so because of your post. Mark Ronson collabs usually end well.

That brings up a point about CRJ. As much as I love her, I'm waiting for her to get weird. The closest is that song "Backseat" she did with Charli XCX (another female pop singer who I really enjoy). Also, I'm not sure I'd have such a soft spot for CRJ if she was really popular. Part of it is like how gays and a faction of hipsters are her main fanbase.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
K
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The sudden "earnest appreciation of frankly indifferent radio pop which is now artful and subversive" thing (especially after Emotion) makes me wonder what planet I've been living on for the past fifteen years.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 12:53pm
K
oh sorry, responded to the wrong post.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The sudden "earnest appreciation of frankly indifferent radio pop which is now artful and subversive" thing (especially after Emotion) makes me wonder what planet I've been living on for the past fifteen years.
The left's faith in subverting mainstream culture is the right's faith in the justice of the market. There are always little examples that proponents can point to, but it's fundamentally nonsense.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Inder wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
I don’t get it, but I’m cool with people that used to be too cool for well made pop finally appreciating it. It helps tremendously that CRJ isn’t popular.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What's all this about subversion?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 9:52am
revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 8:27am
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
If Cut to the Feeling doesn't move you, I don't know what to tell you. That song is stellar.
I just put it on again and I forgot how great it was. A perfect pop track.