The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 51555
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Wine has come today
Those cheap ales can go away
Can't take them another day
I don't care what makes me sway
They say we drink too much anyway
Wine has come today
(Hey)
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

JennyB
User avatar
Mossad Van Driver
Posts: 20235
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 12:54pm
My wife watched the special (our SmartTV shit was relentless in advertising it. Bad SmartTV, very bad!), I started watching but left after a bit. I like Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan song) and Nightfall (James Bond song) so I stayed for those two. The rest of her music is fine enough but doesn't do it for me. I also don't really love the way she over-projects her voice, especially in concert.

Also, the Oprah shit was insufferable and, frankly, I don't think either of them came off as - to put it charitably - very deep thinkers in it. Not sure why they thought it was a good choice to show that footage. Once Deep Thoughts With Oprah Handy Hour is thrown into any given mix, it gets clear quickly that I'm just very, very obviously not the intended audience.

Addendum: I'm being slightly uncharitable due to how much I disliked the interview segments I saw. I agree with Mrs. B's assessment that Rolling in the Deep sounds kinda like Dusty, which is unarguably a good thing.
I didn't watch the interview. Oprah unleashed "Drs" Phil and Oz into the world, so she is forever on my shitlist.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Wine has come today
Those cheap ales can go away
Can't take them another day
I don't care what makes me sway
They say we drink too much anyway
Wine has come today
(Hey)
Thanks you for (a) acknowledging my post and (b) improving on it so much. I thought about additional lyrics but got nowhere besides the first line. *glug glug glug* Wine!
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
I didn't watch the interview. Oprah unleashed "Drs" Phil and Oz into the world, so she is forever on my shitlist.
My mother watched a lot of Oprah, so I occasionally caught bits and pieces. I recall her having a climatologist on who talked about global warming, to which Oprah smirked, “I dunno about you, but I wouldn’t mind warmer winters.” Applause, applause, victory lap. She’s a perfectly callow corporate liberal for other callow corporate liberals.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

JennyB
User avatar
Mossad Van Driver
Posts: 20235
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:28pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
I didn't watch the interview. Oprah unleashed "Drs" Phil and Oz into the world, so she is forever on my shitlist.
My mother watched a lot of Oprah, so I occasionally caught bits and pieces. I recall her having a climatologist on who talked about global warming, to which Oprah smirked, “I dunno about you, but I wouldn’t mind warmer winters.” Applause, applause, victory lap. She’s a perfectly callow corporate liberal for other callow corporate liberals.
:yuck:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 30981
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

I'll give Oprah this: when I was in, uh, 6th grade (?) I was getting a ride to school and the local "funny" DJ morning show was on and they told this joke:

If Oprah Winfrey married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah.

I don't believe that, at most, a month has gone by without me telling that joke to someone. Usually the same someones over and over and over again.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

Pex Lives!

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1550
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:21pm
I'll give Oprah this: when I was in, uh, 6th grade (?) I was getting a ride to school and the local "funny" DJ morning show was on and they told this joke:

If Oprah Winfrey married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah.

I don't believe that, at most, a month has gone by without me telling that joke to someone. Usually the same someones over and over and over again.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Twenty push-ups this morning, that was half my goal
Tonight I'll be doin' pull-ups on the toilet bowl

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:21pm
I'll give Oprah this: when I was in, uh, 6th grade (?) I was getting a ride to school and the local "funny" DJ morning show was on and they told this joke:

If Oprah Winfrey married Deepak Choprah her name would be Oprah Choprah.

I don't believe that, at most, a month has gone by without me telling that joke to someone. Usually the same someones over and over and over again.
Why would they assume she'd surrender her name to him? /mrjokemisser
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 30981
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:46pm
Why would they assume she'd surrender her name to him? /mrjokemisser
Remember, this joke was constructed before Obama came in and ruined America's moral fiber
In the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 4:46pm
Why would they assume she'd surrender her name to him? /mrjokemisser
Remember, this joke was constructed before Obama came in and ruined America's moral fiber
Shit, you're right. Thanks a lot, Obama.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Sparky
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1550
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 4:56pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Twenty push-ups this morning, that was half my goal
Tonight I'll be doin' pull-ups on the toilet bowl

Kimmelweck
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 671
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 3:47pm
Location: WNY

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Hey Doc. Didn't notice your post earlier. What kind of wine kit did you get? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own in a month or so. My parents are apparently getting me the All-In-One Wine Pump for Christmas, so I'll start my first batch at the end of the year. A friend just gave me his Italian floor corker, and I just need to pick up a wine thief and hydrometer and I'm pretty much set for equipment. I've also somehow managed to accumulate 8 carboys (4x 6-gallon and 4x 5-gallon) and about 150 empty bottles. :mrgreen:
Jackrabbits. I love them…big ears and big back feet. Jackrabbits man…they’re happenin’. – Mick Jones

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 98447
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Hey Doc. Didn't notice your post earlier. What kind of wine kit did you get? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own in a month or so. My parents are apparently getting me the All-In-One Wine Pump for Christmas, so I'll start my first batch at the end of the year. A friend just gave me his Italian floor corker, and I just need to pick up a wine thief and hydrometer and I'm pretty much set for equipment. I've also somehow managed to accumulate 8 carboys (4x 6-gallon and 4x 5-gallon) and about 150 empty bottles. :mrgreen:
Holy fudge, 8 carboys?!? I have two, plus the plastic pail. You'll be soused full time before you know it! I wouldn't worry about a wine thief. They aren't expensive but I just use a small measuring cup to scoop out some wine to measure specific gravity (you do need the hydrometer for that). You should also get a heating belt, especially if you're working in a basement in the winter. As for kits, I buy from Costco. I get a box with two kits (± 27 bottles each) in it for about CAD100. I only do red (pinot noir, cab sauv, or shiraz are my rotation*) and I don't filter when bottling. The last part is a bit unusual, but I find the flavour is more impactful that way. (Plus filtering is a pain the butt.) The main thing to be diligent about is cleaning your equipment at every stage. Don't skimp on whatever sterilizing agent you use. Do that and follow the directions on your kit and it's super easy.

If you've got any nuts-and-bolts questions as you get going, don't hesitate to ask me. Seriously, I'm a chimp and I can produce decent wine, so it's not hard.

* I've kept my eye out for a baco noir kit but haven't found one yet. We've bought a few bottles over the years and it is amazingly tasty.
That is what the elves call the justice of the unicorn. - Richard Nixon to Nikita Khrushchev, Kitchen Debate, Moscow, 1959

Kimmelweck
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 671
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 3:47pm
Location: WNY

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 7:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:26pm
I was at school when I got an email saying my wine kit had been delivered. Immediately in my mind, I heard the Chambers Brothers say, "Wine has come today!"
Hey Doc. Didn't notice your post earlier. What kind of wine kit did you get? I'm about to take the plunge and start making my own in a month or so. My parents are apparently getting me the All-In-One Wine Pump for Christmas, so I'll start my first batch at the end of the year. A friend just gave me his Italian floor corker, and I just need to pick up a wine thief and hydrometer and I'm pretty much set for equipment. I've also somehow managed to accumulate 8 carboys (4x 6-gallon and 4x 5-gallon) and about 150 empty bottles. :mrgreen:
Holy fudge, 8 carboys?!? I have two, plus the plastic pail. You'll be soused full time before you know it! I wouldn't worry about a wine thief. They aren't expensive but I just use a small measuring cup to scoop out some wine to measure specific gravity (you do need the hydrometer for that). You should also get a heating belt, especially if you're working in a basement in the winter. As for kits, I buy from Costco. I get a box with two kits (± 27 bottles each) in it for about CAD100. I only do red (pinot noir, cab sauv, or shiraz are my rotation*) and I don't filter when bottling. The last part is a bit unusual, but I find the flavour is more impactful that way. (Plus filtering is a pain the butt.) The main thing to be diligent about is cleaning your equipment at every stage. Don't skimp on whatever sterilizing agent you use. Do that and follow the directions on your kit and it's super easy.

If you've got any nuts-and-bolts questions as you get going, don't hesitate to ask me. Seriously, I'm a chimp and I can produce decent wine, so it's not hard.

* I've kept my eye out for a baco noir kit but haven't found one yet. We've bought a few bottles over the years and it is amazingly tasty.
Yeah, 8 of ‘em. :mrgreen: I had picked up two 6 gallons (one glass, one plastic, in the boxes in my pic), and then inherited 2 more when my father gave up on his beer making kit. A week ago a friend gave me his corker and 4 more carboys. I have a couple fermenting buckets too (5 and 6 gallon), and various airlocks, etc. I need to pick up some potassium metabisulfite for sanitizing (I have some Star-San, but I’ve heard it might leave a funny taste and is better for beer making). Also need corks, but I have a beer/wine homebrew store about 2 minutes away from me, run by a very nice family who are super helpful. I’ll dash out for that stuff at the last minute. I prefer reds too, but I plan to experiment with a few different wines. Costco sounds like a great deal.

Good to know about the filtering. Sounds like a pain. The pump I’m getting can supposedly do it with a few attachments, but I’ll see how it goes and maybe skip that step. Hoping I can do it upstairs if I can find a room with the right temp. I’ll let you know when I get started and will undoubtedly have some questions. Thanks.

And to stay on topic for the thread, here’s an observation: wine pairs well with music.

KimmelweckWinery.jpg
KimmelweckWinery.jpg (180.64 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Jackrabbits. I love them…big ears and big back feet. Jackrabbits man…they’re happenin’. – Mick Jones

Post Reply