Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 9:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 8:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 6:56am
Drywaller showed up at 6.30 am and he tunes in to Terriblemusic-FM. So my breakfast has included Billy Joel, Genesis, and now Rick Astley. The home reno is reached new and unforeseen levels of personal discomfort. X(

edit: And now that wretched "Unbelievable." There is a demon somewhere who is just cackling at me.
I think it's in the working man's code that they get to listen to Terriblemusic-FM while they work.
Yeah as bad as generic FM rock radio is be thankful it isn't Gnu Country FM
We thankfully have a station in Milwaukee that plays good music: indie rock, hip hop, punk, electronic, etc. Otherwise, the rest is garbage. We have several new country stations and more than a few AOR stations.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 9:37am
revbob wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 9:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 8:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Drywaller showed up at 6.30 am and he tunes in to Terriblemusic-FM. So my breakfast has included Billy Joel, Genesis, and now Rick Astley. The home reno is reached new and unforeseen levels of personal discomfort. X(

edit: And now that wretched "Unbelievable." There is a demon somewhere who is just cackling at me.
I think it's in the working man's code that they get to listen to Terriblemusic-FM while they work.
Yeah as bad as generic FM rock radio is be thankful it isn't Gnu Country FM
We thankfully have a station in Milwaukee that plays good music: indie rock, hip hop, punk, electronic, etc. Otherwise, the rest is garbage. We have several new country stations and more than a few AOR stations.
Radio here is shit. We used to have a good college station but with change in personnel over the years its kind of gone downhill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Be grateful...buddy of mine is a contractor, did a lot of work on the home we're in now. Periodically throughout the day he'd bust in to some Katy Perry sing along. Ugh! Not sure if he was joking or serious, but shit, he knew all the words.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Be grateful...buddy of mine is a contractor, did a lot of work on the home we're in now. Periodically throughout the day he'd bust in to some Katy Perry sing along. Ugh! Not sure if he was joking or serious, but shit, he knew all the words.
Friendship status: In review.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 8:12am
Watched the new Velvet Underground documentary this morning. I'm not that versed on the history of the group, so for me it was mostly grooving on performance and interviews. The best part is an extended interview with Jonathan Richman (who I wouldn't have recognized; he's been boyish looking for so long that to see him as an oldish guy is shocking) who relates being awed by the sounds he heard from the stage and not being able to figure out where the drones were coming from. It was just epiphany for him. Anyway, I imagine most here would dig the movie.
Just finished this morning. It was good. I knew a good amount from Please Kill Me and from Gene here (about the drone stuff particularly for Cale). I was really hoping for more live footage/performances. There's just no video and audio it seems. Tons of great footage and photos but very little accompanying live audio. There was some live audio that was actually a bit underwhelming (a 67 or 68 Heroin performance in particular where Lou's voice sounds...not good).

I really did enjoy getting a feel for New York and the Factory scene at the time. Good god, these people were so much cooler than I would have been at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 4:40pm
revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 4:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 1:49pm
revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 1:41pm
Flex wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 11:34am

I'm usually willing to rate The Final Cut decently. An album I don't necessarily enjoy but I respect in its sort of singular anger. All trash after that tho.
They made albums after that?

Another band that can sometimes suffer from their insufferable fanbase and some truly boring music but also capable of producing some really good songs.
Weird rule (well, observation): bands that habitually play long songs have insufferable fans (Swans definitely come to mind).
Oh yeah Swans fans are the worst.
Waitaminnit …. (I'm subscribed to the Swans subreddit for news purposes and most of those people are SNEWSy fans, a combination of dream journal crap and lame meme attempts. Just fawning, embarrassing shit.)

Doc, I'm ready to suffer the SWANS. I'm too lazy to look for any of your past suggestions so give me an album to try and I will fire up the might Soulseek and find it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
Just finished this morning. It was good. I knew a good amount from Please Kill Me and from Gene here (about the drone stuff particularly for Cale). I was really hoping for more live footage/performances. There's just no video and audio it seems. Tons of great footage and photos but very little accompanying live audio. There was some live audio that was actually a bit underwhelming (a 67 or 68 Heroin performance in particular where Lou's voice sounds...not good).
There's plenty of live audio available—official and boot—but I don't think I've seen much for video, tho.
I really did enjoy getting a feel for New York and the Factory scene at the time. Good god, these people were so much cooler than I would have been at the time.
Seriously. Especially against the emerging hippie counterculture. While mainstream media was anointing hippies as the cool, these people are working a seriously edgy cool beyond anything else.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 4:43pm
Doc, I'm ready to suffer the SWANS. I'm too lazy to look for any of your past suggestions so give me an album to try and I will fire up the might Soulseek and find it.
It is time. :ugeek:

You could sample the various eras using the challenge list I abused Heston with: http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 47#p459647

Or, if you want to go by albums, I'd say The Great Annihilator is most up your alley, or, more recently, To Be Kind. The former has shorter songs, the latter is better but it's full of really long pieces.

Or, there's a decent flowchart for where to start:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Recently dl'd a memoir by the Go-Go's drummer, Gina Schock, which includes some gig posters in the appendix. Found out this one is for sale and the Boss gave a thumbs up.
https://www.dking-gallery.com/store/SCR ... _1108.html#

Love that late 50s/early 60s aesthetic.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My friend is trying to get me to go see Bon Iver. I dont know what they sound like but I sort of suspect I wont like them...

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 10:04pm
My friend is trying to get me to go see Bon Iver. I dont know what they sound like but I sort of suspect I wont like them...
Melancholy meets celestial woe.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 10:24pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah probably not revbob’s thing but I’ve grown to really enjoy Justin Vernon in general. He started off as sad folly dude and then did a total turn by doing all this weird distorted vocal synthy stuff. There is some abrasive stuff that might be revbobs thing but it’s a smaller subset of his recent stuff.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Your friendship might not survive.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 1:08am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 10:24pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah probably not revbob’s thing but I’ve grown to really enjoy Justin Vernon in general. He started off as sad folly dude and then did a total turn by doing all this weird distorted vocal synthy stuff. There is some abrasive stuff that might be revbobs thing but it’s a smaller subset of his recent stuff.
Thanks Matey. Good thing is it's a few months away so maybe it sells out and I cant make it or I might have to wash my hair that night.