Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 11:38am
matedog wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 11:27am
Can't find Kory's album art thread, but this Rolling Stone's album cover is just atrocious:
Keith and Mick's heads take up 80% of the image. Keith is sleepily trying to eat Mick's ear. Ugly ass Bill Wyman's mug drags down any album cover he's on and he's oddly shaded, wearing a vampire cloak or something. And they are on a sunny beach. It's all so weird and bad.
Not for nothing did they release a compilation called 'Sucking In the Seventies.'
I actually like this album a lot. The cover is a just an awkward shit show.
Hand Of Fate is probably my fave on Black And Blue, but I have to agree, the cover is pretty bad.
Not to keep dragging my beloved Mats in to everything (but I will!). Their 4th album, Tim has an equally lame cover IMO.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:07pm
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Can't find Kory's album art thread, but this Rolling Stone's album cover is just atrocious:
Keith and Mick's heads take up 80% of the image. Keith is sleepily trying to eat Mick's ear. Ugly ass Bill Wyman's mug drags down any album cover he's on and he's oddly shaded, wearing a vampire cloak or something. And they are on a sunny beach. It's all so weird and bad.
Not for nothing did they release a compilation called 'Sucking In the Seventies.'
Hand Of Fate is probably my fave on Black And Blue, but I have to agree, the cover is pretty bad.
Not to keep dragging my beloved Mats in to everything (but I will!). Their 4th album, Tim has an equally lame cover IMO.
Yeah, that one is bad too. Especially the giant inverted Bob face.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:13pm
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
I like the cover to Pleased To Meet Me a lot, even though I only like about 2/3 of the album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:25pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I like the cover to Pleased To Meet Me a lot, even though I only like about 2/3 of the album.
I would have to agree with both statements, it's not their best work, but far from being their worst either. I think DTAS & ASD are far worse albums myself.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

It's weird how the first half of their discography has good-great artwork and the second half is mostly bad (Pleased to Meet Me being the exception).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:29pm
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:

I would have to agree with both statements, it's not their best work, but far from being their worst either. I think DTAS & ASD are far worse albums myself.
Yeah, if I’m being honest, I drop off after PTMM. Can’t remember the last time I listened to the other two.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
It's a really underrated album. A few songs sound a bit tossed off, but overall an enjoyable listen.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:

What did you think about the recently issued new mix of DTAS? I really liked it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:40pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yeah, if I’m being honest, I drop off after PTMM. Can’t remember the last time I listened to the other two.
I splurged for Dead Man's Pop box set because I like to collect vinyl. The stuff that Matt Wallace worked on is far more enjoyable than what the record company officially put out as Don't Tell A Soul.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:46pm
Sparky wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:

What did you think about the recently issued new mix of DTAS? I really liked it.
Just saw your note after I posted, yes, like it. Also like the extra tracks, some of which have only been heard on live and studio outtakes boots. My favorite is probably is "Last Thing In The World" - for me, it just plain rocks.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:45pm
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
It's a really underrated album. A few songs sound a bit tossed off, but overall an enjoyable listen.
This is the point where a lot of their rockier tunes started lacking hooks and just became mindless vamps. Idk even some girls has the same issue to me.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

All Shook Down has some great tracks as well.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Inder wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:22pm
It does, but it's an odd mix of stuff PW was really holding on to for his solo releases, to my ears, it's just not a "Replacements" album. Very little involvement from Tommy, Slim & Chris, but lots of hired hands playing on it if I recall correctly.
Last edited by Sparky on 26 Apr 2021, 1:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:26pm
Inder wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:22pm
It does, but it's an odd mix of stuff PW was really holding on to for his solo releases, to my ears, it's just not a "Replacements" album. Very little involvement from Tommy, Slim & Chris, but lots of hired hand playing on it if I recall correctly.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't really have much to do with "that Replacements sound" — although songs like Bent Out of Shape could've been on DTAS or PtMM.

The title song reminds me of X-Ray Style for some reason. Love that flute as well!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft