The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 May 2021, 10:45am
I’m not a fan of most third wave ska bands. They have too much of that goofy energy. The Bosstones are an obvious exception. I’ve been to see them like 15 times.
I'm about to get a ton of shit, but ska is like tamales and meatloaf - the best it can be is "very good." There is no such thing as great versions of any of that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

matedog wrote:
05 May 2021, 11:00am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I’m not a fan of most third wave ska bands. They have too much of that goofy energy. The Bosstones are an obvious exception. I’ve been to see them like 15 times.
I'm about to get a ton of shit, but ska is like tamales and meatloaf - the best it can be is "very good." There is no such thing as great versions of any of that.
You need to try short rib meatloaf sometime then. You’ll cream your pants. Anyhow, the Boss-tones are pretty damn great in my book. I don’t rate the new records very highly but Question the Answers and Let’s Face It are practically flawless tightly written ska records.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Yeah, I'll stand with you on this. I've never developed any kind of skill to truly discern ska. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the form (probably the former, but not definitely).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 11:12am
matedog wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
Yeah, I'll stand with you on this. I've never developed any kind of skill to truly discern ska. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the form (probably the former, but not definitely).
Hello,

2nd wave (Two-tone era) was tremendous - great energy, music, and content.

I haven't seen the Mighty Mighty Bosstones yet. I'm hoping to get to their Hometown Throwdown over the holidays as long as things clear up.

Let's Face It is one of the best pop/ska records of any era.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

This thread is cursed.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 12:37pm
This thread is cursed.
people being too hard on ska?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 12:46pm
Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 12:37pm
This thread is cursed.
people being too hard on ska?
I just don't understand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Speaking of ska, its detractors, and defenders: https://music.avclub.com/if-emo-can-be- ... 1846778697

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:12pm
Speaking of ska, its detractors, and defenders: https://music.avclub.com/if-emo-can-be- ... 1846778697
I saw that yesterday, good article on the current ska revival.

but, also, i think it makes a fairly obvious error in the title suggesting emo has been "rehabbed" in any ways. Awful genre.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:17pm
but, also, i think it makes a fairly obvious error in the title suggesting emo has been "rehabbed" in any ways. Awful genre.
I thought about doing a unit on it in my punk seminar—gender is usually framed as female, so emo would have allowed a male focus on gender—but the stuff I read was so off-putting that I couldn't conceive of a productive conversation about it that we couldn't already achieve via Riot Grrrl.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:20pm
I thought about doing a unit on it in my punk seminar—gender is usually framed as female, so emo would have allowed a male focus on gender—but the stuff I read was so off-putting that I couldn't conceive of a productive conversation about it that we couldn't already achieve via Riot Grrrl.
Have you looked at Queercore? I dunno how much material there is covering the genre, but I'd think there might be some good bits in there for discussion.

There's a documentary about the genre that came out a few years ago that I haven't seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queercore ... Revolution

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:20pm
Have you looked at Queercore? I dunno how much material there is covering the genre, but I'd think there might be some good bits in there for discussion.

There's a documentary about the genre that came out a few years ago that I haven't seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queercore ... Revolution
The last day of class, I always ask students for what they'd like to see done differently in future iterations of the course (aside: less reading is always put forward, always rejected), and everyone in the punk class who offered an opinion said queercore or punk and LBGTQ+ in some fashion. So it's something I'll be looking into for next year. If I can't find decent readings, that documentary might do the trick, so thanks! (Another aside: the students' suggestion is a cool measure of how they can push content in areas they're interested in. They're generally much more eager for discussion on gendered identity and respect than instructors suspect. I know that I'm playing a lot of catch-up in that area.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:12pm
I saw that yesterday, good article on the current ska revival.

I've seen references to many jr. high schoolers that are into MCR and stuff—I don't think it ever went away.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:47pm
I've seen references to many jr. high schoolers that are into MCR and stuff—I don't think it ever went away.
idiot high schoolers liking terrible music doesn't really refute my point :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I should have mentioned that, on the first day of class, when I asked people about their interests, the most common answers for what kind of music they liked, when punk was mentioned it was pop punk or emo. Small sample size and all, but, yeah, it's for those just out of high school.