Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 3:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 1:50pm
My current favourite song:

I fucking love this band. A fierce blend of no wave, riot grrrl, queercore, and just delirious DIY noise.
Any longer and it would start to grate on me, but that was good. My expectations were not adjusted at first and I kept waiting for the song to kick in, but then I got it.
It does test one's tolerance for hectoring, yes.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I just wanted to say that I love this version, it buzzes around my brain and I like it there.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Ladies and gentlemen, the 80s:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 10:28am
You're right, it was much better than the 90s.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
That is one advantage I'll give you: weird bad/fun collabs usually involving rapping and occasionally involving the Refrigerator.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 10:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
That is one advantage I'll give you: weird bad/fun collabs usually involving rapping and occasionally involving the Refrigerator.
I maintain that Thomas Hanks should surrender one Oscar for this movie and video.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_20220827-062121_Instagram.jpg

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 6:30am
Screenshot_20220827-062121_Instagram.jpg
I saw this tweet in my feed and wanted to be sure it was really him who tweeted it. One never knows anymore. Glad he said what he said.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 5:56pm
This is very troubling.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/neurosiss ... from-music
Yikes, that's bad
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
This is very troubling.

Yeesh. That's a helluva confessional statement, tho. Quite rare in not finessing or weaseling.

Tangentially related, Win Butler of Arcade Fire has been accused by multiple women of various levels of inappropriate behaviour. Whenever these kinds of things come up, I think of the observation that in interaction between the sexes, men most fear being laughed at; women most fear being beaten or killed.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 6:16pm
revbob wrote:
This is very troubling.

Yeesh. That's a helluva confessional statement, tho. Quite rare in not finessing or weaseling.

Tangentially related, Win Butler of Arcade Fire has been accused by multiple women of various levels of inappropriate behaviour. Whenever these kinds of things come up, I think of the observation that in interaction between the sexes, men most fear being laughed at; women most fear being beaten or killed.
The responses from both Win and Regine were...not good. I hate to say this, but their last two albums weren't so good, so that makes it easier to let go. This is going to tremendous damage to their image and fanbase at a time when they have to rely on that heavier as their albums are less and less well received.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is very troubling.

The responses from both Win and Regine were...not good. I hate to say this, but their last two albums weren't so good, so that makes it easier to let go. This is going to tremendous damage to their image and fanbase at a time when they have to rely on that heavier as their albums are less and less well received.
Yeah, I've given cursory listens to the last couple records, shrugged, and moved on. And, definitely, when part of your appeal is being on the ethical left, this kind of transgression cuts very deep.

However, I am now prepared to concede to you that Arcade Fire is an American band. :shifty:

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 3:38pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is very troubling.

Yeah, I've given cursory listens to the last couple records, shrugged, and moved on. And, definitely, when part of your appeal is being on the ethical left, this kind of transgression cuts very deep.

However, I am now prepared to concede to you that Arcade Fire is an American band. :shifty:
Fuck, I was going to call them "Canadian band Arcade Fire" but you beat me to the joke.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 3:38pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
This is very troubling.

Fuck, I was going to call them "Canadian band Arcade Fire" but you beat me to the joke.
Suffer your victory!