WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:26pm
Inder wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 1:22pm
All Shook Down has some great tracks as well.
It does, but it's an odd mix of stuff PW was really holding on to for his solo releases, to my ears, it's just not a "Replacements" album. Very little involvement from Tommy, Slim & Chris, but lots of hired hands playing on it if I recall correctly.
PW mentioned the album featured 4 drummers, but that they didn't bring in any guitar players. I can definitely hear Slim on several of the tracks and my hunch is that Tommy played most of the bass parts. I think why it doesn't sound like a band effort to me is because the songs are so clearly Paul's. Tommy and Slim might have played on them, but how much input did they have on the finished product? I think they still sound like a band on the Matt Wallace mix of DTAS, but that is gone by ASD. I don't dislike the album. I think there are some really good tracks, but definitely a transitional album: one foot in the Mats, one foot as a solo artist with everyone else probably not knowing exactly where they stood.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 4:05pm
Sparky wrote:
Inder wrote:
It does, but it's an odd mix of stuff PW was really holding on to for his solo releases, to my ears, it's just not a "Replacements" album. Very little involvement from Tommy, Slim & Chris, but lots of hired hands playing on it if I recall correctly.
PW mentioned the album featured 4 drummers, but that they didn't bring in any guitar players. I can definitely hear Slim on several of the tracks and my hunch is that Tommy played most of the bass parts. I think why it doesn't sound like a band effort to me is because the songs are so clearly Paul's. Tommy and Slim might have played on them, but how much input did they have on the finished product? I think they still sound like a band on the Matt Wallace mix of DTAS, but that is gone by ASD. I don't dislike the album. I think there are some really good tracks, but definitely a transitional album: one foot in the Mats, one foot as a solo artist with everyone else probably not knowing exactly where they stood.
Honestly baffled that it gets more love than Don’t Tell A Soul. Especially with the stripped down re release it becomes clear that record was another classic.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Inder wrote:
Well said, definitely a transitional sounding album. I like some but not all of the PW solo stuff, guess it's the old guy in me that still wants to hear '84 - '87 Mats sounding stuff.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 8:45pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Inder wrote:
Well said, definitely a transitional sounding album. I like some but not all of the PW solo stuff, guess it's the old guy in me that still wants to hear '84 - '87 Mats sounding stuff.
I'm with you on his solo stuff. 14 Songs was solid, but after that it gets hit and miss.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Riverboat Gamblers cover Ramones & Motorhead on new 7″ (hear “Bonzo Goes To Bitburg” ft. CJ Ramone)

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/riverboat ... cj-ramone/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just took a quick stroll to one of the eighty-eleven coffee shops in our neighbourhood to get some cookies—I finished grading today and that's my celebration—and was listening to more of that Beatles remixer group that I mentioned recently in the Beatles thread. To be precise, I listened to a mix of, primarily, the slower Tomorrow Never Knows demo. And when it got to parts with backward guitar sounds, it dawned on me that until the late 19th century, people had no idea what a sound sounded like backwards. Completely unnatural sounds. I imagine people before that had some kind of philosophical understanding of a sound played backwards, but to actually realize it? That's a fairly recent development. Just a cool thing to appreciate, I thought.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 1:35pm
Just took a quick stroll to one of the eighty-eleven coffee shops in our neighbourhood to get some cookies—I finished grading today and that's my celebration—and was listening to more of that Beatles remixer group that I mentioned recently in the Beatles thread. To be precise, I listened to a mix of, primarily, the slower Tomorrow Never Knows demo. And when it got to parts with backward guitar sounds, it dawned on me that until the late 19th century, people had no idea what a sound sounded like backwards. Completely unnatural sounds. I imagine people before that had some kind of philosophical understanding of a sound played backwards, but to actually realize it? That's a fairly recent development. Just a cool thing to appreciate, I thought.
I think you're forgetting all the people that were possessed by the devil.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In fact, they were possessed by electric guitars. But pre-electricity, who could have known?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In fact, they were possessed by electric guitars. But pre-electricity, who could have known?
In seriousness, that is an interesting observation though. I wonder if backwards messages on LPs stoking Satanic panic was largely just because they DO sound Satanic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 4:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In seriousness, that is an interesting observation though. I wonder if backwards messages on LPs stoking Satanic panic was largely just because they DO sound Satanic.
Or maybe those are the kinds of sounds that inspired people to think that's what the devil sounds like. That's the revolutionary thing about recorded sound—that part of communication and experience could achieve a level of definition. Sculpture and painting could communicate those visual ideals, but the aural must have been more ambiguous or varying.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Or maybe those are the kinds of sounds that inspired people to think that's what the devil sounds like. That's the revolutionary thing about recorded sound—that part of communication and experience could achieve a level of definition. Sculpture and painting could communicate those visual ideals, but the aural must have been more ambiguous or varying.
I suppose back then they probably just thought the devil sounded like a woman disagreeing with a man.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 5:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I suppose back then they probably just thought the devil sounded like a woman disagreeing with a man.
:lol:

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Great News
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 1.19.11 PM.png

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

I’m not a fan of most third wave ska bands. They have too much of that goofy energy. The Bosstones are an obvious exception. I’ve been to see them like 15 times.