Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 7:49pm
revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 6:46pm
Screenshot_20230303_174515_Instagram.jpg
You've made an enemy who follows at least five social influencers.
Im amazed she still has fans, granted she's not a puppy eater like some people (Adele) but was she ever really considered a talent of some sort?

Also
Screenshot_20230303_191037_Instagram.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 7:49pm
revbob wrote:
You've made an enemy who follows at least five social influencers.
Im amazed she still has fans, granted she's not a puppy eater like some people (Adele) but was she ever really considered a talent of some sort?
She's one of those generic blonde people who I've vaguely heard of from some scandal(?) or "reality" show. Throw her in a line-up and it's a crapshoot that I pick her.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
Now that's some God tier trolling right there, nice work Rev! :lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:07pm
revbob wrote:
Now that's some God tier trolling right there, nice work Rev! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The shit showed up in my feed for who the fuck knows what reason so I had to comment. Sorry Hoy.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Too many believe that celebrity status (be it A-list, B-list, or Z-list) gained from reality tv or numbers of followers is due to talent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:27pm
Hello,

Too many believe that celebrity status (be it A-list, B-list, or Z-list) gained from reality tv or numbers of followers is due to talent.
The whole "famous for being famous" thing. The idea of fame due to accomplishment is quaintly 20th century.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Why Do We Stop Exploring New Music as We Get Older?

https://neurosciencenews.com/music-aging-22716/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 8:34am

Part of it, too, is that popular culture is mostly aimed at those under the age of 30. I suppose part of it is related to marketers understanding that after 30 we're not as inclined to that kind of consumption for the reasons listed in the linked story, but the constantly shifting trends are geared to the young. That's the nature of the game. If you don't "get" what the kids are into, well, in no small part you're not meant to. Advertisers are happy to regurgitate the stuff that you're more comfortable with as you get closer to being dust.

edit: That said, I really do think that streaming and the option to pursue your super niche interests encourages rabbit-holing rather than be exposed to greater diversity, to think and behave individually rather than socially.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Can only speak of my own experience and while that piece certainly reflects the outline of my aural journey, i would say almost zero of the offered explanations seem valid to me. I listen to as much music now as i ever did and, far from being idle background noise, i find i engage with it far more than i ever did as a teenager. I am way more inclined to actually think about songs, their meaning and origins now than I was 30+ years ago when, really, all that mattered was that i liked the sound of it. As to why I don't actively seek out much new music, I simply reason that there is nigh on a century of material already out there, only a mere fraction of which I am familiar with, and if I'm going to spend time at it, far better to source "new" old music I know I'll like, than to try pot luck with new stuff I'll more likely find average at best. I listen to a lot of radio so i still get to hear the odd new interesting band/artist that way and that's enough for me.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 8:34am

Hello,

There were some good thoughts within this piece (I guess I'm psychosocially immature). I think I pursue new music because of curiosity - who will be the next band to impact me like the Clash? I don't ever want to lose that curiosity. It helps to maintain this curiosity for work/education as well.

I think Doc's point about rabbit-holing is on target - we're on a Clash specific (kind of) board, aren't we?

I'll add an 8th tip to the 7 tips to expanding your horizons - visit A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread). You don't have to write anything - just go listen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Forty years ago today, New Order released “Blue Monday,” the best-selling (still?) 12” single of all time: https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... spirations

As I recall reading, the distinct sleeve—to look like a floppy disc, special notches and all—meant that the more copies Factory sold, the more money it lost.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:10pm
Forty years ago today, New Order released “Blue Monday,” the best-selling (still?) 12” single of all time: https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... spirations

As I recall reading, the distinct sleeve—to look like a floppy disc, special notches and all—meant that the more copies Factory sold, the more money it lost.
New Order - and this particular song - do attract certain myths. For instance, in his memoir drummer Stephen Morris has dismissed the claim that Factory Records lost 5p on every copy of Blue Monday sold because of the expense of producing the die-cut sleeve based on Peter Saville’s design, inspired by a 5 1⁄4-inch floppy disc. 

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 1:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:10pm

New Order - and this particular song - do attract certain myths. For instance, in his memoir drummer Stephen Morris has dismissed the claim that Factory Records lost 5p on every copy of Blue Monday sold because of the expense of producing the die-cut sleeve based on Peter Saville’s design, inspired by a 5 1⁄4-inch floppy disc. 
Huh. That's a shame because it's a good tale on Factory's privileging art over commerce.

edit: Sumner's memoir repeats the story; Hook's doesn't mention it one way or the other.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The mortality rate of Lynyrd Skynyrd is insane:

Of everyone who played in the band from their founding in 1964 until their plane crash in 1977, only Ricky Medlocke, Greg Walker, and Artemis Pyle remain. 12 members total, so a mortality rate of 75%.

Sure, the Beatles have a mortality rate of 50%, but there were only 4 members.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 12:15pm
The mortality rate of Lynyrd Skynyrd is insane:

Of everyone who played in the band from their founding in 1964 until their plane crash in 1977, only Ricky Medlocke, Greg Walker, and Artemis Pyle remain. 12 members total, so a mortality rate of 75%.

Sure, the Beatles have a mortality rate of 50%, but there were only 4 members.
Ramones always takes the crown. Joey died at 49, Johnny at 55, Dee Dee at 50, Tommy at 65. All cancer except of course, Dee Dee.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.