coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by coffeepotman »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 2:41pm
Heston wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 5:48pm
I loved Happy Days until the end, even the episode with Spunkless Spunky in.
Was essential viewing when I was st school but I’m suprised it kept going 1984. I wouldn’t have watched past 1982.
Isn't Happy Days where the phrase "jump the shark" came from? It was a great show, first season, then got sillier as it went until Fonzie jumped the shark. I do remember all the 50's revival/nostalgia that went along with it was kinda cool back in the ugly 70's.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 9:44am
101Walterton wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 2:41pm
Heston wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 5:48pm
I loved Happy Days until the end, even the episode with Spunkless Spunky in.
Was essential viewing when I was st school but I’m suprised it kept going 1984. I wouldn’t have watched past 1982.
Isn't Happy Days where the phrase "jump the shark" came from? It was a great show, first season, then got sillier as it went until Fonzie jumped the shark. I do remember all the 50's revival/nostalgia that went along with it was kinda cool back in the ugly 70's.
Yup, correct. Fun fact: The evil water skier whom Fonzie beat was evil Greg Marmalard of the Omegas in Animal House.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I just read an article in Ars Technica about the vinyl revival, and it somewhat unexpectedly (to me, anyways) turned it into a discussion of lessons to learn for digital content creation. A lot of it was a discussion of the importance of ritual, which is well covered ground, but I thought it brought up an interesting point: content tends to resonate more with people when it's a multi-sensory experience. Vinyl has visual aesthetics, tactile feel, and - of course - the auditory experience. Triggering three senses makes for a more pleasurable and enduring experience for people. The article just kinda asserted that to be true, but it makes intuitive sense: if you stimulate more of your senses, the content in question packs more of a punch. No real point, just thought it was an interesting takeaway.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 2:18pm
I just read an article in Ars Technica about the vinyl revival, and it somewhat unexpectedly (to me, anyways) turned it into a discussion of lessons to learn for digital content creation. A lot of it was a discussion of the importance of ritual, which is well covered ground, but I thought it brought up an interesting point: content tends to resonate more with people when it's a multi-sensory experience. Vinyl has visual aesthetics, tactile feel, and - of course - the auditory experience. Triggering three senses makes for a more pleasurable and enduring experience for people. The article just kinda asserted that to be true, but it makes intuitive sense: if you stimulate more of your senses, the content in question packs more of a punch. No real point, just thought it was an interesting takeaway.
Yes and I absolutely agree. You only have to see the cover of an album you love and you get the same sense of pleasure as you do from hearing a song that you love.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

My favourite vinyl album is Smell the Glove by Spinal Tap.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

What's wrong with being sexy?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 2:38pm
Flex wrote:
Yes and I absolutely agree. You only have to see the cover of an album you love and you get the same sense of pleasure as you do from hearing a song that you love.
Yeah and CD size isn't quite the same.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 4:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
No and was the beginning of disposable music!!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 4:47pm
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
That's a term I use a lot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
The thing is, any mass produced commodity is by nature disposable. That is, to some critics, proof that it can't be art.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 5:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Flex wrote:
The thing is, any mass produced commodity is by nature disposable. That is, to some critics, proof that it can't be art.
Yes but you used to invest in a piece of vinyl and then needed to store it and play it from track one. The CD with random / skip buttons and stack trays etc.. changed how we listen to music.
Then came the ability to download the CD so no need for the physical product at all.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yes but you used to invest in a piece of vinyl and then needed to store it and play it from track one. The CD with random / skip buttons and stack trays etc.. changed how we listen to music.
Then came the ability to download the CD so no need for the physical product at all.
The cd just made it more convenient to pick which songs you wanted to listen to and in what order (and digital downloads more so yet). You can pick up the tone arm and plop it down wherever you want. The cassette or 8-track, by that reasoning, is the best form because it's such a fucking pain to find the song you want unless it's the first one on the side.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
revbob wrote:

The cd just made it more convenient to pick which songs you wanted to listen to and in what order (and digital downloads more so yet). You can pick up the tone arm and plop it down wherever you want. The cassette or 8-track, by that reasoning, is the best form because it's such a fucking pain to find the song you want unless it's the first one on the side.
Hello,

It was too much of a task (and I wasn't really good at it) to drop the needle into the appropriate groove. Cassettes eventually got next track/fast forward - but that was for rich kids who could afford it. 8-tracks never got that far.

Vinyl was great because more often than not I'd listen to a complete side in the order provided and appreciate all the tracks. I never brought records to parties as they generally got all scratched to hell by drunk amateur dj's.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:44pm
It was too much of a task (and I wasn't really good at it) to drop the needle into the appropriate groove. Cassettes eventually got next track/fast forward - but that was for rich kids who could afford it. 8-tracks never got that far.
Ka-CHUNK!
Vinyl was great because more often than not I'd listen to a complete side in the order provided and appreciate all the tracks. I never brought records to parties as they generally got all scratched to hell by drunk amateur dj's.
Just for the sake of argument, why is it superior to listen in the order that the artist places them? Is the listening experience about fealty to the artist or about what the listener wants? If I think CtC is flawless except that "Fingerpoppin'" should be the lead song and that "This Is England" be excised for being tolerable, I have every right to listen to it in that order, and so a medium that facilitates that ability is superior to one that makes it harder.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 7:11pm
gkbill wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 6:44pm
Ka-CHUNK!
Just for the sake of argument, why is it superior to listen in the order that the artist places them? Is the listening experience about fealty to the artist or about what the listener wants? If I think CtC is flawless except that "Fingerpoppin'" should be the lead song and that "This Is England" be excised for being tolerable, I have every right to listen to it in that order, and so a medium that facilitates that ability is superior to one that makes it harder.
I would say that it is fine to shuffle a CD if you want however back to my original point with vinyl you bought something that you listened to as intended. Shuffling, skipping, programming tracks was the start of disposable music where you could do what you want with it.
With vinyl you invested time in it so grew to love (or not) all those album tracks over time. You don’t need to invest time in a CD.