The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 8:08am
Intrigued by this, have been hoping for new Dexys material but this is the next best thing, I suppose. Tour dates announced for next year too.

https://store.universalmusic.com/dexys/ ... 4X90000000
Laxman has posted about this in the Manics thread.

I'm interested but if it's a remake I wish they hadn't had chosen period artwork.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 4:59am
RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 3:06am
I know this probably sounds like sacrilege, but Don’t Tell A Soul may very well be my favorite mats record. Especially with the new Dead Man’s Pop mix. Also, despite it being the archetypal messy Replacements record, Hootenanny isn’t very good with the exception of Color me Impressed. Even Within Your Reach is pretty meh.
That is all
Hootenany just sounds like a fun knock off project. But I dig it.

"Don't Tell a Soul" and "All Shook Down" sound like a different band. The latter feeling more like a solo record for Paul. However they were a different band musically. I suppose it's like comparing "The Clash" with "Sandinista!" the band in 1977 would've been incapable of making "Sandinista!". That's only 3-4 years inbetween. From "Sorry Ma" to "All Shook Down" is 8-9 years that's a lot of time developing and losing a band member etc.
Same thing with Husker Dü. You would never listen to their early 9000 BPM hardcore and expect them to write something like Makes No Sense at All. The latter being pure power pop perfection. I suppose the Replacements were never a hardcore band in a pure sense. Weller always had a way with a killer hook.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 11:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 8:08am
Intrigued by this, have been hoping for new Dexys material but this is the next best thing, I suppose. Tour dates announced for next year too.

https://store.universalmusic.com/dexys/ ... 4X90000000
Laxman has posted about this in the Manics thread.

I'm interested but if it's a remake I wish they hadn't had chosen period artwork.
Ah right, hadn't seen that :cool:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 12:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I know this probably sounds like sacrilege, but Don’t Tell A Soul may very well be my favorite mats record. Especially with the new Dead Man’s Pop mix. Also, despite it being the archetypal messy Replacements record, Hootenanny isn’t very good with the exception of Color me Impressed. Even Within Your Reach is pretty meh.
That is all

"Don't Tell a Soul" and "All Shook Down" sound like a different band. The latter feeling more like a solo record for Paul. However they were a different band musically. I suppose it's like comparing "The Clash" with "Sandinista!" the band in 1977 would've been incapable of making "Sandinista!". That's only 3-4 years inbetween. From "Sorry Ma" to "All Shook Down" is 8-9 years that's a lot of time developing and losing a band member etc.
Same thing with Husker Dü. You would never listen to their early 9000 BPM hardcore and expect them to write something like Makes No Sense at All. The latter being pure power pop perfection. I suppose the Replacements were never a hardcore band in a pure sense. Weller always had a way with a killer hook.
Paul Weller did indeed have a way with a killer hook. However I think you mean "Westerberg". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 12:48pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 12:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
RockNRollWhore wrote:
That is all

Paul Weller did indeed have a way with a killer hook. However I think you mean "Westerberg". ;)
Lol. Now the Jam. That's a hardcore band.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

I actually like AFI. They sound like Emo-y J rock despite not being from Japan.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I don't know why but I had the urge to listen to some Pink Floyd tonight. Maybe nostalgic reasons. I put The Wall on and though it's 35 years since I heard it I remembered every song. I get why people like them but they desperately needed an editor. Some good stuff but long dreary passages of utter indulgence.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 7:22pm
I don't know why but I had the urge to listen to some Pink Floyd tonight. Maybe nostalgic reasons. I put The Wall on and though it's 35 years since I heard it I remembered every song. I get why people like them but they desperately needed an editor. Some good stuff but long dreary passages of utter indulgence.
Hello,

I hope you feel better soon!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
That's the problem. They have great ideas and some solid tunes. But after 3 - 4 mins the noodling does your nut in.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
I was too cool and punk to like PF TW when it came out, but as I've grown (and saw the movie), I actually enjoy listening to it occasionally. I like Dark Side Of The Moon as well, but as others have said, overall to much noodling for me to really get too in to it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Don't mind admitting I'm a huge Dark Side of the Moon fan. One of those rare albums, like London Calling, I just feel is inspired opening groove to last. The mad laughter at the end just gets me every time. Haven't listened to The Wall in decades, never grabbed me quite as much.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dark Side bores me, but there's good stuff there. I'll have to check the Wall out.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:52am
Dark Side bores me, but there's good stuff there. I'll have to check the Wall out.
The only thing I've ever disliked about DSotM is the female vocalist wailing. But I really am a big fan of "Piper" I love the Syd stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:58am
Silent Majority wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:52am
The only thing I've ever disliked about DSotM is the female vocalist wailing. But I really am a big fan of "Piper" I love the Syd stuff.
Yes, Piper is a great album. It's a different band in my mind.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My grand Floyd thesis is slowly shaping more and more into "the worst album of their classic years is their most famous one and their post-waters era has damaged their legacy by trying to recreate the mood of their worst album over and over but without Rogers' cynicism"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!