WestwayKid wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:21pm
Some AOR songs I legit like:

More Than A Feeling - Boston
Wheel in the Sky - Journey
Jane - Jefferson Starship
Tow the Line - Toto
Urgent - Foreigner
I only know one of those songs and it should be the American National Anthem. Perfect in every way.
I probably have heard all five (I know I've heard 3) and the one you are talking about is the only one I have any strong fondness for.

I have definitely come around to your point of view on it being our anthem.
My sole serious objection to "More Than a Feeling" is the vocals. Something there that just annoys me. But the music itself is the best arena rock can offer.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:27pm
Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Tow the Line - Toto
Urgent - Foreigner
I only know one of those songs and it should be the American National Anthem. Perfect in every way.
I probably have heard all five (I know I've heard 3) and the one you are talking about is the only one I have any strong fondness for.

More Than A Feeling

Just think about those three words and fall down at the feet of Jesus.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:30pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Tow the Line - Toto
Urgent - Foreigner

My sole serious objection to "More Than a Feeling" is the vocals. Something there that just annoys me. But the music itself is the best arena rock can offer.
The vocals are the best thing about it. When his voice trails off and turns into the guitar note is the best bit of the song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Tow the Line - Toto
Urgent - Foreigner

The vocals are the best thing about it. When his voice trails off and turns into the guitar note is the best bit of the song.
I think the triumphant riffing is my favorite part, but I've always been a riffs guy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:43pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

I think the triumphant riffing is my favorite part, but I've always been a riffs guy.
It is all triumphant but I know what you mean. It is the one song I can't resist playing air guitar and drums to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Tow the Line - Toto
Urgent - Foreigner

Yeesh. As Wolter says, it's the kick-ass guitar riffing. That voice is everything I hate about arena rock.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:53pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeesh. As Wolter says, it's the kick-ass guitar riffing. That voice is everything I hate about arena rock.
Dr Wrongdulla

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:29pm
Are people inferring that Another Girl, Another Planet isn't one of the greatest songs of all time?
Uh...what song is that?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Dr Wrongdulla
That's Rev. Dr. Woltdulla

Heston

Post by Heston »

I actually think his voice is pretty good by arena rock standards. No shrillness and a pleasing tone. The verses are quite understated.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 8:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Dr Wrongdulla
Dr Wrongdulla is my alias when I’m undercover in Geordieland.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 9:02pm
Heston wrote:
Are people inferring that Another Girl, Another Planet isn't one of the greatest songs of all time?
Uh...what song is that?
Sorry, I refuse to believe anyone doesn't think it's anything but an amazing track. One of the greatest guitar solos put to vinyl.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 9:11pm
I actually think his voice is pretty good by arena rock standards. No shrillness and a pleasing tone. The verses are quite understated.
I don't hate his voice, tbh. I just prefer guitars in this case. There are far worse culprits in this area.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 9:13pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Uh...what song is that?
Sorry, I refuse to believe anyone doesn't think it's anything but an amazing track. One of the greatest guitar solos put to vinyl.
Oh you're talking about Paranoid now, I knew youd come around.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 9:13pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Uh...what song is that?
Great song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/