The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17524
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 28 Jan 2019, 2:37pm

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 2:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 6:45am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 10:24pm


I wonna be me so I have a picture of someone else
A second of your life is ruined for life.
This song should have been on Bollocks instead of, say, Liar.
Satellite over both. Imo.
Damn straight.
Can’t disagree with that.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9511
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory » 28 Jan 2019, 3:04pm

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 6:45am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 10:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 3:19am


This Is brainwash and this is a clue to the Docs who fool you
I wonna be me so I have a picture of someone else
A second of your life is ruined for life.
This song should have been on Bollocks instead of, say, Liar.
Satellite over both. Imo.
I'd rather see Satellite and IWBM over Liar and Problem.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40248
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Jan 2019, 3:05pm

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:04pm
Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 6:45am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 10:24pm


I wonna be me so I have a picture of someone else
A second of your life is ruined for life.
This song should have been on Bollocks instead of, say, Liar.
Satellite over both. Imo.
I'd rather see Satellite and IWBM over Liar and Problem.
Problems is great.

"I Wanna Be Me" is a good track but the production would be out of place on NMTBHTSP as it was recorded by Dave Goodman in 1976 a year before the Bollocks takes. That said so was AitUK recorded in 1976 but has a much fuller sounding production by Chris Thomas.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 28 Jan 2019, 3:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9511
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory » 28 Jan 2019, 3:06pm

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:05pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:04pm
Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:54pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 6:45am


A second of your life is ruined for life.
This song should have been on Bollocks instead of, say, Liar.
Satellite over both. Imo.
I'd rather see Satellite and IWBM over Liar and Problem.
Problems is great.
Not greater than those two.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28939
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 28 Jan 2019, 3:12pm

Did You No Wrong for me instead of Problems. It was the only track on Bollocks I never cared for.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jan 2019, 3:48pm

Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 8:00pm
My students have consistently been baffled by my twin assertions that (a) punk rock saved my life when I was 16 and continues to constructively inform my worldview; and (b) it's largely been a pointless, even regressive movement except for being a hilarious if unintentional critique of popular culture and consumer capitalism as a whole.
I relate to (a) for sure—would you agree that if it was true of more people, then (b) would not be true? Rather, if punk changed the lives of more people, would its impact on the world be more valuable, or is the way in which it changes lives inherently pointless?
It relates to, I think, what a person think punk represents and how it might apply to how you carry yourself. Punk taught me to be more critical, to feel confident about being an outsider and to dissent, and that hierarchies and abstractions get in the way of how we should relate to one another. But punk music and punk communities have, as a whole, been about asserting new dogmas, new hierarchies and exclusivities, and, in the end, to be much more free market capitalist dogmatists than the big bad record company—they just to play the game, too. I don't necessarily begrudge that latter point, but if your aim is to make a living selling records, how radical is that? Staying on a small label might be more ethical and share the wealth better, but it's still capitalism, so let's not exaggerate how radical punk is in taking on The System and all that. Something essential is lost, it seems, when punk gets applied to formal or practical matters. That's what I mean about the apparent paradox about punk's salvational quality and it's meaninglessness to accomplish much.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 14307
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 28 Jan 2019, 3:58pm

Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:12pm
Did You No Wrong for me instead of Problems. It was the only track on Bollocks I never cared for.
Definitely switch those two.
Kool Moe Dee was in the Treacherous Three

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17524
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 28 Jan 2019, 4:29pm

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:58pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:12pm
Did You No Wrong for me instead of Problems. It was the only track on Bollocks I never cared for.
Definitely switch those two.
Problems starts great but doesn’t see it through.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jan 2019, 4:40pm

Can't imagine swapping out songs. Add the others, the more the merrier.
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2289
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by WestwayKid » 28 Jan 2019, 4:54pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
Can't imagine swapping out songs. Add the others, the more the merrier.
I do like Did You No Wrong...but in my mind it's such a perfect album as is - one of the best ever - so no additions or subtractions (or submissions) for me! :mrgreen:
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 17524
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 28 Jan 2019, 4:58pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
Can't imagine swapping out songs. Add the others, the more the merrier.
Agree with this more.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 9511
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Kory » 28 Jan 2019, 7:20pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 3:48pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 8:00pm
My students have consistently been baffled by my twin assertions that (a) punk rock saved my life when I was 16 and continues to constructively inform my worldview; and (b) it's largely been a pointless, even regressive movement except for being a hilarious if unintentional critique of popular culture and consumer capitalism as a whole.
I relate to (a) for sure—would you agree that if it was true of more people, then (b) would not be true? Rather, if punk changed the lives of more people, would its impact on the world be more valuable, or is the way in which it changes lives inherently pointless?
It relates to, I think, what a person think punk represents and how it might apply to how you carry yourself. Punk taught me to be more critical, to feel confident about being an outsider and to dissent, and that hierarchies and abstractions get in the way of how we should relate to one another. But punk music and punk communities have, as a whole, been about asserting new dogmas, new hierarchies and exclusivities, and, in the end, to be much more free market capitalist dogmatists than the big bad record company—they just to play the game, too. I don't necessarily begrudge that latter point, but if your aim is to make a living selling records, how radical is that? Staying on a small label might be more ethical and share the wealth better, but it's still capitalism, so let's not exaggerate how radical punk is in taking on The System and all that. Something essential is lost, it seems, when punk gets applied to formal or practical matters. That's what I mean about the apparent paradox about punk's salvational quality and it's meaninglessness to accomplish much.
Gotcha, well said and relatable for sure.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40248
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Jan 2019, 10:21pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 4:40pm
Can't imagine swapping out songs. Add the others, the more the merrier.
This is hard to disagree with this win/win idea.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 79765
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jan 2019, 10:39pm

I feel like Zoidberg under the misapprehension of popularity!
I'm an expert in gold mining lore!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 40248
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 29 Jan 2019, 9:11am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 10:39pm
I feel like Zoidberg under the misapprehension of popularity!
The problem is you! ;)
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tepista and 9 guests