The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21538
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:11pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 7:45pm
I gotta laugh because country music seems to be the only thing that gets less respect than metal from 101.
Not knowing about genre or a band etc..is different to not liking something. Most of that conversation above meant nothing to me.
Im pretty sure there is a clear record of you being dismissive of country music. If Im wrong I sincerely apologize and dinner is on me if we are ever in the same city.
No you arent wrong but to be fair what I have heard of country music is the very small amout of commercial (on the grand scale of things) that goes global.
I have no idea of the the music you guys are talking about.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:27pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:11pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 7:45pm
I gotta laugh because country music seems to be the only thing that gets less respect than metal from 101.
Not knowing about genre or a band etc..is different to not liking something. Most of that conversation above meant nothing to me.
Im pretty sure there is a clear record of you being dismissive of country music. If Im wrong I sincerely apologize and dinner is on me if we are ever in the same city.
No you arent wrong but to be fair what I have heard of country music is the very small amout of commercial (on the grand scale of things) that goes global.
I have no idea of the the music you guys are talking about.
Ok cool. I thought for a minute I was in a parallel universe.

So here's the thing about music over here. Much of what has widespread appeal or gets pushed is what the money people think will make the most money. So like for instance when you dismiss Dolly Parton, someone who has written hundreds of songs and recorded thousands it doesn't go over well with some of us.

I admit to hating a lot of music but I dont think Ive dismissed an entire genre, subgenre for sure.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21538
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:27pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:11pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 7:45pm
I gotta laugh because country music seems to be the only thing that gets less respect than metal from 101.
Not knowing about genre or a band etc..is different to not liking something. Most of that conversation above meant nothing to me.
Im pretty sure there is a clear record of you being dismissive of country music. If Im wrong I sincerely apologize and dinner is on me if we are ever in the same city.
No you arent wrong but to be fair what I have heard of country music is the very small amout of commercial (on the grand scale of things) that goes global.
I have no idea of the the music you guys are talking about.
Ok cool. I thought for a minute I was in a parallel universe.

So here's the thing about music over here. Much of what has widespread appeal or gets pushed is what the money people think will make the most money. So like for instance when you dismiss Dolly Parton, someone who has written hundreds of songs and recorded thousands it doesn't go over well with some of us.

I admit to hating a lot of music but I dont think Ive dismissed an entire genre, subgenre for sure.
There aint too much love for modern country on page 966.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:04pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:27pm
revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:14pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 8:11pm


Not knowing about genre or a band etc..is different to not liking something. Most of that conversation above meant nothing to me.
Im pretty sure there is a clear record of you being dismissive of country music. If Im wrong I sincerely apologize and dinner is on me if we are ever in the same city.
No you arent wrong but to be fair what I have heard of country music is the very small amout of commercial (on the grand scale of things) that goes global.
I have no idea of the the music you guys are talking about.
Ok cool. I thought for a minute I was in a parallel universe.

So here's the thing about music over here. Much of what has widespread appeal or gets pushed is what the money people think will make the most money. So like for instance when you dismiss Dolly Parton, someone who has written hundreds of songs and recorded thousands it doesn't go over well with some of us.

I admit to hating a lot of music but I dont think Ive dismissed an entire genre, subgenre for sure.
There aint too much love for modern country on page 966.
So called Modern Country is really Pop Country and as a sub genre yeah it mainly sucks. But Dolly doesn't fall into that category. Sure she has made some songs that fit that bill but there is so much more to her than that.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53401
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 4:10pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 11:32am
Would Brandi Carlile be considered country, or is she more Americana? Because I really like her.
I think a lot of music labeled Americana is really county. It's the "new" underground to the mainstream crap most people consider country. I feel like the history of country follows a common pattern: mainstream country gets too shitty and then an underground develops. Sort of like how the Bakersfield Sound was created in response to the syrupy Nashville Sound or how the Outlaw movement was a response to the way too smooth "Countrypolitan" of the early 70's.
I have a genuine love of a lot of pre-1980 country and it's oddly not at all limited to the edgier stuff. And as far as responses, Nashville was an attempt to soften the edges of the prior 'Honky Tonk" sound. Which, itself developed as a rougher, simpler sound to differentiate it from the more popular sorts of hillbilly music (at this point that was the more common term) like Western Swing and singing cowboy stuff like Gene Autry. And a lot of what was called Countrypolitan was essentially just Nashville music made by people who didn't want to admit they were making Nashville sound country.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88874
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53401
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Oh, I think the situation you described is by its nature worse.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:49pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Oh, I think the situation you described is by its nature worse.
The important thing is nobody got hurt.

Also the artist before was Rancid and the artist after was Sharon Jones. There's no world where Hungry Like the Wolf is acceptable between those two.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Harsh on the Durans, they had some great pop tunes. Hungry Like the Wolf isn't bad at all.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Harsh on the Durans, they had some great pop tunes. Hungry Like the Wolf isn't bad at all.
Umm this is yet another point of major divergence. To me Duran Duran will always be that adult boy band on the cover of Teen Beat that was quite successfully marketed to 12-14 yo girls. There is nothing in the world that would make me see them thru any other lens and all that aside I cant stand their music.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33431
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 8:58pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Harsh on the Durans, they had some great pop tunes. Hungry Like the Wolf isn't bad at all.
Umm this is yet another point of major divergence. To me Duran Duran will always be that adult boy band on the cover of Teen Beat that was quite successfully marketed to 12-14 yo girls. There is nothing in the world that would make me see them thru any other lens and all that aside I cant stand their music.
You see but they weren't a boy band. They played all their own instruments and formed organically. The Pistols and the Clash were more boy bands than them in reality. To me a boy band is manufactured to an extent. Yeah, they were good looking and played up to that strength but I just like some of the songs on their own terms. Their debut album is nicely weird pop. But you like hardcore shit and I like melodic pop/rock, we are never going to agree. But to say they are as bad as Phil Collins is just crazy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46202
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 9:14pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 8:58pm
Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 7:13pm
Just listening to my Pandora feed and fucking Duran Duran came on. It couldn't have been worse if it were Phil Collins himself.
Harsh on the Durans, they had some great pop tunes. Hungry Like the Wolf isn't bad at all.
Umm this is yet another point of major divergence. To me Duran Duran will always be that adult boy band on the cover of Teen Beat that was quite successfully marketed to 12-14 yo girls. There is nothing in the world that would make me see them thru any other lens and all that aside I cant stand their music.
You see but they weren't a boy band. They played all their own instruments and formed organically. The Pistols and the Clash were more boy bands than them in reality. To me a boy band is manufactured to an extent. Yeah, they were good looking and played up to that strength but I just like some of the songs on their own terms. Their debut album is nicely weird pop. But you like hardcore shit and I like melodic pop/rock, we are never going to agree. But to say they are as bad as Phil Collins is just crazy.
Just another day in paradise for Heston and revbob.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88874
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 9:14pm
You see but they weren't a boy band. They played all their own instruments and formed organically. The Pistols and the Clash were more boy bands than them in reality. To me a boy band is manufactured to an extent. Yeah, they were good looking and played up to that strength but I just like some of the songs on their own terms.
Depends on what aspect you want to emphasize with boy bands. If a person thinks boy bands are mostly about being pretty and appealing to teenage girl fantasies, DD were a boy band (and the Pistols and Clash weren't). I'm not saying I disagree with you about the manufactured element, but that you're emphasizing production instead of reception.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Image

Post Reply