The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

clashtwo.jpg
clashtwo.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 165 times
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
The stuff of SNEWSer dreams …
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12547
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
Yeah a shit band at that point.

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1958
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

You know it's a problem when you see a photo of the Clash and all you really see is hair.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

You know it's a problem when you see a photo of the Clash and all you really see is hair.
Some of us see the face of our murderer. :meh:
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 18990
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 3:13pm
gkbill wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 7:32am
clashtwo.jpg
Hello,

You know it's a problem when you see a photo of the Clash and all you really see is hair.
Some of us see the face of our murderer. :meh:
The throat slits itself!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21481
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Eh? How could you compare DD to the Osmonds or the Jackson 5? They were just singing/dancing troupes really. DD were five blokes who formed an art pop band but just happened to be good looking.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21481
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Eh? How could you compare DD to the Osmonds or the Jackson 5? They were just singing/dancing troupes really. DD were five blokes who formed an art pop band but just happened to be good looking.
Just trying to think of bands off the top of my head and considered those bands that actually played instruments but still did the boy band line up thing.
It do early let me finish my coffee and I will come up with better example.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21481
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15795
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.
When I hear Bros, I wonder what music influenced them. Do they like music?
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.
Well Bros kind of played their instruments but I'm pretty sure the records were constructed by studio mutts. Duran Duran were pretty talented players. John Taylor especially is highly rated by a lot of bass players, and Andy Taylor was a pretty shit hot guitarist.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21481
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.
When I hear Bros, I wonder what music influenced them. Do they like music?
No they like fame!!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33350
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:29pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:24pm
Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 4:08pm
I thought the term Boy Band was introduced specifically for those studio manufactured bands with the traditional 5 pretty boy vocalists in a line.
I’m sure the term was never around in DD days. I would put DD more in the same bracket as the Osmonds or Jackson 5 than Westlife and all those bands.
Have read that Take That was considered the first although whilst probably true it is harsh on Gary Barlow.
Well New Kids On the Block were before Take That, they were definitely a boy band. And going back a bit further, New Edition.
Bros? Another band that straddles the BB / real band line.
When I hear Bros, I wonder what music influenced them. Do they like music?
Yeah, good point. It's that old fame for fame's sake thing.

That's why I can't put Duran Duran in the boy band bracket, they were all huge music fans. The premise for their band at the start was the Sex Pistols meets Chic. They didn't quite succeed with that but songs like Planet Earth and Girls On Film are fantastic pop records.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply