The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Olaf »

Listening to Danzig's version of "Girl of My Best Friend" it struck me this would have been great for the Ramones.

Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 4:10pm
Listening to Danzig's version of "Girl of My Best Friend" it struck me this would have been great for the Ramones.

Oh yeah I definitely hear them covering it.
It has that same feel as "I Remember You".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Adolescents to release covers album

https://www.punknews.org/amp/73440/adol ... vers-album

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 10:23pm
Adolescents to release covers album

https://www.punknews.org/amp/73440/adol ... vers-album
Damn, that's gonna be good.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Goddammit, Limeys, you're asked for the best album of the 80s and your one-two punch is The Joshua Tree and Brothers in Arms? No more canvassing your opinions! :naughty:
https://www.nme.com/news/music/u2-the-j ... ll-2777950
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 6:31am
Goddammit, Limeys, you're asked for the best album of the 80s and your one-two punch is The Joshua Tree and Brothers in Arms? No more canvassing your opinions! :naughty:
Here's the thing I can list well over a thousand albums that are worse. Lots of great albums from the 80s that didn't reach the main stream.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 6:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Here's the thing I can list well over a thousand albums that are worse. Lots of great albums from the 80s that didn't reach the main stream.
Sure there's worse. But reminds me of one of the outtakes from The Office. An exasperated Tim is talking about Garreth, who has the entire range of rock n roll history to choose from, and yet his favourite band is Mike and the Mechanics. I may grant some plausibility for The Joshua Tree given U2's status and all, but how the hell do so many people settle on Dire Straits? It's walking into a bar that stocks beer from around the globe and asking for a Bud.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 8:29am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure there's worse. But reminds me of one of the outtakes from The Office. An exasperated Tim is talking about Garreth, who has the entire range of rock n roll history to choose from, and yet his favourite band is Mike and the Mechanics. I may grant some plausibility for The Joshua Tree given U2's status and all, but how the hell do so many people settle on Dire Straits? It's walking into a bar that stocks beer from around the globe and asking for a Bud.
Some people just enjoy a bud I guess. The truth is the fact that the NME's audience is very different now. Those of us who read the NME back during the punk days and early 80s simply wouldn't waste our time voting in a shitty poll.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Some people just enjoy a bud I guess. The truth is the fact that the NME's audience is very different now. Those of us who read the NME back during the punk days and early 80s simply wouldn't waste our time voting in a shitty poll.
It was a BBC-2 poll, if that explains the "taste" better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I should've read a bit further down. Yeah whilst much better than BBC-1 we are definitely in Dire Straits territory here. I think it would be interesting to look at the ages of those that voted and just how many of those little rebels quickly settled into marriage a mortgage and some comfy slippers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 8:48am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 8:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I should've read a bit further down. Yeah whilst much better than BBC-1 we are definitely in Dire Straits territory here. I think it would be interesting to look at the ages of those that voted and just how many of those little rebels quickly settled into marriage a mortgage and some comfy slippers.
Ah, Blairites.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can think of a lot of bands worse than Dire Straits. I will even argue that they were probably a better band than many people give them credit for, but there is no way they should ever be that high on a list of great albums.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can think of a lot of bands worse than Dire Straits. I will even argue that they were probably a better band than many people give them credit for, but there is no way they should ever be that high on a list of great albums.
I can't deny it any longer. I love Sultans of Swing. Brothers in Arms is so flat though it makes John Denver seem edgy.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 9:46am
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can't deny it any longer. I love Sultans of Swing. Brothers in Arms is so flat though it makes John Denver seem edgy.
That is a really solid track. Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite guitarists.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Maybe Heston was the only participant in the poll.

Dire Straits define boring music for me.