Heston wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:57pm
BitterTom wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:43pm
Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
Dancing Queen aside, I reckon this song beats any ABBA track you can throw at it.
"That's Me" by ABBA is still better though.
One I'm not too familiar with, just had it on a couple of times and can happily say I'm a fan, classic ABBA chord progression but those keys remind me of a run down seaside fairground. Not so much a criticism, more an observation.
Check out "Tiger" from the same album. Monster of a track and should have been a single.
This isn't bad at all, feel like I should've moved on from just Gold.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 4:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 4:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:01pm

Sure thing it's just the inevitable next step.
I wouldn't reduce Kraftwerk to mindless formula, tho. That's what AI would do.
Neither would I. I think it's genius. But then a computer might just come up with something great. I mean just like Kraftwerk the software the computer requires will have to be based upon on a structure so be it Beethoven or Buzzcocks it should be capable of producing something of worth. Unless it's KISS obviously.😉
Sure, a computer could come up with something quite listenable—formula emerges because its what people reliably enjoy, whether music, movie, or any other form of art—but actual creativity that defies expectations? I'm very skeptical.
It's odd but then a human invented the computer so maybe it will evolve. Who knows?
Which is the argument of AI experts/critics. I'm dubious that it can develop in ways whereby it is curious (leading to innovation) and attuned to the mood and interests of its environment and time. AI can do a lot of things, but artistry is distinctly human, I think.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:02pm

I wouldn't reduce Kraftwerk to mindless formula, tho. That's what AI would do.
Neither would I. I think it's genius. But then a computer might just come up with something great. I mean just like Kraftwerk the software the computer requires will have to be based upon on a structure so be it Beethoven or Buzzcocks it should be capable of producing something of worth. Unless it's KISS obviously.😉
Sure, a computer could come up with something quite listenable—formula emerges because its what people reliably enjoy, whether music, movie, or any other form of art—but actual creativity that defies expectations? I'm very skeptical.
It's odd but then a human invented the computer so maybe it will evolve. Who knows?
Which is the argument of AI experts/critics. I'm dubious that it can develop in ways whereby it is curious (leading to innovation) and attuned to the mood and interests of its environment and time. AI can do a lot of things, but artistry is distinctly human, I think.
I am dubious also. But then there is this.

Raymond Kurzweil, an American author and Director of Engineering at Google, made a much-cited prediction that computers would have human-level intelligence by 2030. ... Because of these advantages, computers will be able to produce much more in-depth decision-making heuristics and statistics than the human brain.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 6:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Raymond Kurzweil, an American author and Director of Engineering at Google, made a much-cited prediction that computers would have human-level intelligence by 2030. ... Because of these advantages, computers will be able to produce much more in-depth decision-making heuristics and statistics than the human brain.
Which is still distinct from creativity, I'd say. Computers are undeniably superior to human brains in many, many ways, but purposeful creativity?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 6:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Which is still distinct from creativity, I'd say. Computers are undeniably superior to human brains in many, many ways, but purposeful creativity?
It's how it all ends.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

All advances in technology are perpetually 15 years away.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 6:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

All advances in technology are perpetually 15 years away.
The future is such a long way off. It's in the future you know.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 12:27pm
But with much more hair!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

It does sound a bit like "The Loch Ness Monster Song."
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

God but I love this song. It's funny, sultry, leering, and so damned evocative. You can just picture Momus' character as a guy with an unbuttoned shirt, fluffy hairy chest, at least one gold chain, and multiple rings.

I was created in the fleshpots of Araby
My mother was the Emperor's secretary
My father, a notorious libertine
Escaped from Sodom and Gomorrah, the cities of the plain
You can read my family's rise and fall in Gibbon
I was born to be adored by women

Well Seth begat Clem and then Clem begat Ruth
And then Ruth begat me and all hell broke loose
The tribes all began to multiply and boom
And, looking at their kids, no-one knew from whom
The beautiful things kept springing
Well I was born to be adored by women

My hair is long, distinguished, prematurely grey
I've got a mouth like Ernest Hemingway's ashtray
I've fathered one hundred and three illegitimate kids
I've never met a mother I couldn't bed
I love children, spiders, snakes, and anything living

Some guys can erect garden furniture
That must be what God invented husbands for
But if you need a milk chocolate in the shape of a man
If you need a chunk of marzipan the size of Taiwan
Look up the chimney, see what Santa's bringing

Well I know I'm always late since my watch got sold
But I'm worth the wait, the weight in gold
After God made me, they broke the mould
And I've broken all the records with that old song
Bold girls are so fond of singing

Well my favourite bird is the cuckoo, punk
My favourite beast, the funky skunk
My favourite colour is the emerald green
Chuck the football king goes when his beauty queen
Comes to me when she's chucked him in

Well what I don't know about love technique
You could scribble in biro on the balls of your feet
I never wear underwear, I drive a dead beat
Landrover in my bare feet
Stark naked, there's always one more river to go swim in

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I saw the You Better You Bet video in a theater in the 80's. It was shown before the movie The Wall. I thought it was so cool. I knew the band's history, but didn't own any albums. I bought the Face Dances cassette and liked it alot. I wish they put this track as the first song on Side 2, instead of How Can You Do it Alone. it's great to finally hear Entwistle's bass on this one

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

was reading Mojo magazine, February 2022 edition, and saw this. I always liked Tom's playing, always thought he was a cool dude too.
Attachments
Tom Morello Clash-Joe
Tom Morello Clash-Joe
Untitled.jpg (119.7 KiB) Viewed 806 times
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope