The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Perhaps we’ve taken the comments about the sessions being miserable as an absolute measure when the band were more relativist, comparing them to how it used to be between the four.

Magic Alex’s rotating guitar immediately made me think of ZZ Top’s spinning guitars. And Glyn’s vest reflected the sheepskin covering on ZZ Top’ guitars. Basically, the subtext was that ZZ Top are the Beatles’ direct heirs.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Where can I watch this fucking thing for free?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:43am
Perhaps we’ve taken the comments about the sessions being miserable as an absolute measure when the band were more relativist, comparing them to how it used to be between the four.

Magic Alex’s rotating guitar immediately made me think of ZZ Top’s spinning guitars. And Glyn’s vest reflected the sheepskin covering on ZZ Top’ guitars. Basically, the subtext was that ZZ Top are the Beatles’ direct heirs.
Which means that Depeche Mode are The Beatles' younger brothers because ZZ Top was heavily influenced by DM in the 80s. Don't believe me? Ask Billy Gibbons!

I haven't watched a lot of the doc yet (haven't had time), but I am enjoying it so far. The quality of the footage makes it feel like it's current day, and not 52 years ago.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 10:43am

Which means that Depeche Mode are The Beatles' younger brothers because ZZ Top was heavily influenced by DM in the 80s. Don't believe me? Ask Billy Gibbons!
We're thru the looking glass here, people.
I haven't watched a lot of the doc yet (haven't had time), but I am enjoying it so far. The quality of the footage makes it feel like it's current day, and not 52 years ago.
Eerie, eh? There's this weird vibe that it's all very present.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 11:38am
Where can I watch this fucking thing for free?
Yo ho ho, get thee onto a pirate ship like others!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

It's all in the editing, they can make us believe anything they want. I'm not fooled by it. The real story is probably closer to the 1969 movie. This is all just smiles, quick cuts, with no cussing, Yoko being a saint like figure who happens to just be there doing mundane things.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:52pm
It's all in the editing, they can make us believe anything they want. I'm not fooled by it. The real story is probably closer to the 1969 movie. This is all just smiles, quick cuts, with no cussing, Yoko being a saint like figure who happens to just be there doing mundane things.
Various Beatles experts have commented about some parts of conversations were edited out, including where Yoko is, in essence, speaking for John. Yes, this is an argument/interpretation of those events, like any other documentary or work of history, but it does help counter the idea that it was just black clouds the whole way thru. Shit still isn’t good amongst them, but it’s not entirely dysfunctional either.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Flashing back to this:

Dr. Medulla wrote: ↑05 Oct 2018, 12:08pm
Silent Majority wrote: ↑05 Oct 2018, 12:02pm

IMCT: All I want is one more Strummer/Jones composition.
Also IMCT: Waaah, there's too much of it, I can't listen in a few sittings.

It's called discerning taste, fanboy! It's what separates us from the rabble.

"Man, I wish this sex I'm having could be over soon."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

drowninghere wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 1:48pm
Flashing back to this:

Dr. Medulla wrote: ↑05 Oct 2018, 12:08pm
Silent Majority wrote: ↑05 Oct 2018, 12:02pm

IMCT: All I want is one more Strummer/Jones composition.
Also IMCT: Waaah, there's too much of it, I can't listen in a few sittings.

It's called discerning taste, fanboy! It's what separates us from the rabble.

"Man, I wish this sex I'm having could be over soon."
It's true—we really have had every conversation possible here.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 4:04pm
How come we've never had any convos about how great I am?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 9:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 4:04pm
How come we've never had any convos about how great I am?
Possible conversations, not impossible ones.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Finally completed the slog through all 18 hours of this, still not buying it. All smiles and happy people, bullshit, you can see right through it.
I'm hoping that they did a restoration of the original film. It is amazing the difference, I watched some of the old movie last night, just cause I couldn't get enough, I liked the complete songs. Why didn't they have complete songs on the new version, were they trying to save time?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 9:43am
I watched some of the old movie last night, just cause I couldn't get enough, I liked the complete songs. Why didn't they have complete songs on the new version, were they trying to save time?
As I understand it, Let It Be is getting a new and proper dvd release, and Jackson didn't want to take away from ML-H's film, so that's why GB doesn't have the same full performances that LIB does.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Beatles fan Ron Sheffield shares his favourite moments: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1263945/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 9:49am
coffeepotman wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 9:43am
I watched some of the old movie last night, just cause I couldn't get enough, I liked the complete songs. Why didn't they have complete songs on the new version, were they trying to save time?
As I understand it, Let It Be is getting a new and proper dvd release, and Jackson didn't want to take away from ML-H's film, so that's why GB doesn't have the same full performances that LIB does.
I did not know that, but very cool. I used to have a copy of "unknown origin" but the quality was crap.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble