Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 12:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 10:49am
More neat Beatles trivia that I wasn't aware of. Okay, I knew that "I Am the Walrus" was a reference to "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but I didn't know that John misunderstood the poem. He thought the Walrus was the good guy, and upon learning he was wrong, he said it should have been "I Am the Carpenter" (neither one, tho, are good guys, so he *really* didn't get the poem). The line in "Glass Onion" stating that the Walrus was Paul was a sly effort to correct his error and have a dig at his friend/competitor.
Paul was already dead, smart guy.
The best part about Paul-is-dead is that believers have to accept that the Beatles were going to great lengths to hide the truth and also deliberately planting really weird clues.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 1:01pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
More neat Beatles trivia that I wasn't aware of. Okay, I knew that "I Am the Walrus" was a reference to "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but I didn't know that John misunderstood the poem. He thought the Walrus was the good guy, and upon learning he was wrong, he said it should have been "I Am the Carpenter" (neither one, tho, are good guys, so he *really* didn't get the poem). The line in "Glass Onion" stating that the Walrus was Paul was a sly effort to correct his error and have a dig at his friend/competitor.
The best part about Paul-is-dead is that believers have to accept that the Beatles were going to great lengths to hide the truth and also deliberately planting really weird clues.
Well I have it on good authority that on Paul's birthday, JFK Jr will re-appear at the Cavern Club with the REAL truth.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 1:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well I have it on good authority that on Paul's birthday, JFK Jr will re-appear at the Cavern Club with the REAL truth.
And pull off his mask to reveal … Stu Sutcliffe!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 1:31pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've always thought it was funny that the same Beatles conspiracy people who thought Paul was dead thought that the band Klaatu was the Beatles in disguise. Come on, even Lennon wouldn't have written a song called "Anus of Uranus" ... though wait... he just might have.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 1:31pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

I've always thought it was funny that the same Beatles conspiracy people who thought Paul was dead thought that the band Klaatu was the Beatles in disguise. Come on, even Lennon wouldn't have written a song called "Anus of Uranus" ... though wait... he just might have.
Devin McKinney’s Magic Circles, which I’ve raved about ad nauseous here and elsewhere, contains one of my favourite chapters on anything. It’s about 1969 and argues that after 1968, the Beatles were no longer the subject of their own story and the narrative they were part of was contrary to what they had represented. That is, in 1969, the story of the Beatles was about death and hate (Manson) and about lies and conspiracies (Paul is Dead, the Masked Marauders, who were speculated to be the Beatles). Everything you thought knew about the Beatles was a damned lie or it was in some weird, evil code to be deciphered. The Beatles had been fooling everyone! And it kind of made sense in that by 1969 the hippie dream, set off by the Beatles in 1964, was turning ugly. There was no Age of Aquarius, just bitterness and death and addiction. Because the Beatles got credit for so much before then, they got the blame from the hip kids, too. Paul is Dead was fun and therapeutic, a way of playing with how the Beatles no longer had answers, they weren’t even on the scene now. It’s just a remarkable bit of writing and argumentation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I do enjoy these footnotes to history: https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/po ... -1.5730917

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend told me about this yesterday. In 1969, Paul (in his secret identity as Paul Ramon) played drums, bass, and some guitar, and contributed vocals to Steve Miller's "My Dark Hour." Supposedly, he had just had an acrimonious encounter with Allen Klein and took out his frustrations during the recording.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:03pm
e.g. Albert Einstein, "Theory of General Relativity" (1915).

Flex

Post by Flex »

I found a used copy of the recent (well, if 2015 is recent) cd/blu ray release of 1+ that came out to replace by original no-noised copy of 1 from 2000 which I played the shit out of in high school but has been long surpassed by more recent remastering efforts.

These Giles Martin remixes from the CD portion of the program sound great on my headphones, I can't wait to give the blu rays a spin on my surround system.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 5:21pm
I found a used copy of the recent (well, if 2015 is recent) cd/blu ray release of 1+ that came out to replace by original no-noised copy of 1 from 2000 which I played the shit out of in high school but has been long surpassed by more recent remastering efforts.

These Giles Martin remixes from the CD portion of the program sound great on my headphones, I can't wait to give the blu rays a spin on my surround system.
I have a few Bluray audio discs but I've never checked them out. I don't have a surround system, so it's probably not worth it, but do you find the quality to be better in general than a CD?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 6:20pm
Flex wrote:

I have a few Bluray audio discs but I've never checked them out. I don't have a surround system, so it's probably not worth it, but do you find the quality to be better in general than a CD?
Yeah, I mean, it depends on the stereo chain partly. I have a nice oppo blu ray player with a great dac so it sounds real good playing Blu ray audios or sacds and such. This Beatles set includes these mixes on both a standard silver CD and as a Blu ray so I'll actually be able to a/b them. Maybe I'll do that this weekend report the results.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 6:23pm
Kory wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 6:20pm
Flex wrote:

Yeah, I mean, it depends on the stereo chain partly. I have a nice oppo blu ray player with a great dac so it sounds real good playing Blu ray audios or sacds and such. This Beatles set includes these mixes on both a standard silver CD and as a Blu ray so I'll actually be able to a/b them. Maybe I'll do that this weekend report the results.
If you get the time, I'd be very curious. I've long been interested in the XTC Steven Wilson blurays that I have, I might get a surround system for those alone.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc