Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:49pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:22pm

The Style Council had more than that. But the point is that Paul followed his own path playing other styles of music. Bruce and Rick had a little minor success in their follow up. But it's always that important chemistry that makes something what it is.
Fair. But, c'mon, the Style Council's actual records were mostly very, very underwhelming. They're, like, George Harrison's post-Beatles output. Sure, some fantastic moments, but on the whole … meh.
That's where I'm at. Why are we agreeing so much tonight? I might pop into the MLG thread.
Shh shh shh. Let's just enjoy the moment before one of us brings up KISS or Swans.
See now the truth is out. This has nothing to do with The Beatles or The Stones. It's all about your true love's.
Wedding invitations in the new year. Dress will be casual but tasteful. We're hoping to get Thin Lizzy for the reception.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex »

If all these bands had broken up in 1982, none of them would have had the chance to record an album once music finally got good in the 90s.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 8:27pm
If all these bands had broken up in 1982, none of them would have had the chance to record an album once music finally got good in the 90s.
The universe should have split up in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
We are left to imagine, and to mourn, what Fred Durst could have done guesting on a Kinks record.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 8:38pm
Flex wrote:
We are left to imagine, and to mourn, what Fred Durst could have done guesting on a Kinks record.
I mean, he already butchered a Who song.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 1:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 8:38pm
Flex wrote:
I mean, he already butchered a Who song.
I haven't heard it, I ain't gonna.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I just learned that the Beatles - looking for a more up to date studio (tech-wise and "sound" wise) than Abbey Road - explored recording Revolver at Stax. Brian Epstein spent a week in Memphis trying to work out a deal, but it never happened. It was originally reported that the deal was nixed because of security concerns following reports that the band would be working out of a small, neighborhood studio. It later come out that it was more because once the Beatles got involved - everyone started wanting to charge the "Beatles-rate" - including Stax. Epstein also floated the idea of working at Atlantic in New York and Motown.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 2:58pm
I just learned that the Beatles - looking for a more up to date studio (tech-wise and "sound" wise) than Abbey Road - explored recording Revolver at Stax. Brian Epstein spent a week in Memphis trying to work out a deal, but it never happened. It was originally reported that the deal was nixed because of security concerns following reports that the band would be working out of a small, neighborhood studio. It later come out that it was more because once the Beatles got involved - everyone started wanting to charge the "Beatles-rate" - including Stax. Epstein also floated the idea of working at Atlantic in New York and Motown.
Huh. Never encountered that claim. I can see all the reasons it wouldn't have worked, tho.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Huh. Never encountered that claim. I can see all the reasons it wouldn't have worked, tho.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2 ... tax-story/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
How much did that play into their Stax-ish "Got To Get You Into My Life"?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
How much did that play into their Stax-ish "Got To Get You Into My Life"?
Definitely. I think the biggest Stax influence on the album comes from Ringo. His drumming is incredible throughout. "She Said She Said" is a great example - he swings and grooves, all the while playing these incredible over the top drum fills. Revolver should be required listening for anyone who claims that Ringo "really wasn't that good" as a drummer.

I've said this before, but Revolver was their pinnacle as a recording unit: nearly everything is perfect.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:43pm
Revolver should be required listening for anyone who claims that Ringo "really wasn't that good" as a drummer.
Anyone who claims this needs to be ostracized from society. It's indicative of deeper problems with critical thinking that won't be fixed by listening to an album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 4:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 6:43pm
Revolver should be required listening for anyone who claims that Ringo "really wasn't that good" as a drummer.
Anyone who claims this needs to be ostracized from society. It's indicative of deeper problems with critical thinking that won't be fixed by listening to an album.
They commonly go by the name “Rush fans.”

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

"Gimme Some Truth"
Attachments
lennonking.png
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future