The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Best wishes and quick recovery to you both.

There was a story a few weeks ago that only 15% of Canadians have gotten the most recent booster. Gee, I wonder if the uptick in covid cases is related to that at all …
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 11:10am
coffeepotman wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 3:06pm
Double post, I got Covid for christmas and can't think straight
Me too! We're Christmas COVID twinsies! ;)
All the best mate. Hope you recover soon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Sparky wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 12:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 11:10am
coffeepotman wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 3:06pm
Double post, I got Covid for christmas and can't think straight
Me too! We're Christmas COVID twinsies! ;)
Hope you're over it soon.
Thank you, I'm finally feeling better but was pretty bad for a couple of days

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I hope you recover soon!

Now I want to read old mad issues. Hope I can find the digital cache of the first like 500 issues I…acquired…some years back. Though I’m worried I lost it in The Great Hard Drive Crash Of 2020.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Anyone seen this documentary on the Beatles in India?: https://english.elpais.com/culture/2024 ... l-one.html

The write-up sounds pretty paint by numbers (although I don't know if that's reflective of the documentary or not), but I thought this last paragraph was insightful:
Experiencing the real India, rather than an imagined version, pushed the Beatles’ music in an unexpected direction. Instead of leading to more lush, exotic sounds, the band leaned toward simplicity. The influence of India became more nuanced, more authentic. But after venturing on this journey of self-discovery, each Beatle ultimately found himself making music alone.
A documentary exploring the frisson between (colonialist) expectations of a culture to artistically inspire and then the lived reality would be pretty interesting.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 4:37pm
Anyone seen this documentary on the Beatles in India?: https://english.elpais.com/culture/2024 ... l-one.html

The write-up sounds pretty paint by numbers (although I don't know if that's reflective of the documentary or not), but I thought this last paragraph was insightful:
Experiencing the real India, rather than an imagined version, pushed the Beatles’ music in an unexpected direction. Instead of leading to more lush, exotic sounds, the band leaned toward simplicity. The influence of India became more nuanced, more authentic. But after venturing on this journey of self-discovery, each Beatle ultimately found himself making music alone.
A documentary exploring the frisson between (colonialist) expectations of a culture to artistically inspire and then the lived reality would be pretty interesting.
I've heard about the documentary but not seen it. Devin McKinney argues that The White Album was their proper zeitgeist record (not Pepper) in that, like 1968 and the counterculture, it was about being pulled apart in different directions, escapist pastoral songs and songs about violence (and violent-sounding songs). Perhaps, too, there's a bitterness or disillusionment over Eastern spirituality at work. Whatever else The White Album is, it ain't optimistic or evidence of finding a new way forward.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 5:11pm
I've heard about the documentary but not seen it. Devin McKinney argues that The White Album was their proper zeitgeist record (not Pepper) in that, like 1968 and the counterculture, it was about being pulled apart in different directions, escapist pastoral songs and songs about violence (and violent-sounding songs). Perhaps, too, there's a bitterness or disillusionment over Eastern spirituality at work. Whatever else The White Album is, it ain't optimistic or evidence of finding a new way forward.
A lot the Big 60s Folks did something like White Album, which is very telling. Dylan had John Wesley Harding, the Grateful Dead put out Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. Hell, the Beach Boys did their typically cracked-Brian version of this with the low-key retreat into mundane simplicity of Friends. Jim Morrison and The Doors, already the dark cosmic band of the hippie age, went back to the blues and traded their faux-poetic strangeness for unadorned grit. The Stones did whatever the fuck the Stones were doing. And so forth.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 5:11pm
A lot the Big 60s Folks did something like White Album, which is very telling. Dylan had John Wesley Harding, the Grateful Dead put out Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. Hell, the Beach Boys did their typically cracked-Brian version of this with the low-key retreat into mundane simplicity of Friends. Jim Morrison and The Doors, already the dark cosmic band of the hippie age, went back to the blues and traded their faux-poetic strangeness for unadorned grit. The Stones did whatever the fuck the Stones were doing. And so forth.
The cultural theorist Raymond Williams coined the term "structure of feeling" to describe something like that. That is, a group of cultural texts reflecting a mood. It's not a proper ideology at work—otherwise it would be a structure of thought—but a kind of artist-intellectual response (and contribution) to the world around them. In this case, the optimism of counterculture fracturing and turning angry and cynical or withdrawing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched that semi-recent documentary series about Lennon's murder over the last couple days. Informative to the degree that I really knew very little about the murder beyond the basics. My Beatles love never took me to that level of inquiry. That said, it was a bit flat in terms of impact. I came away feeling some empathy towards Chapman, a guy with an abusive childhood, and because of his guilty plea he was denied psychiatric treatment in prison. Plus he's spent most of his incarceration in isolation, largely to protect him from other prisoners.

Weird factoid: John Hinckley also had a copy of Catcher in the Rye when he shot Reagan. Huh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Paul knew Wings weren't as good as the Beatles? What a scoop! Stop the presses!
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/even-p ... he-beatles

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 9:43am
Reminds me of this all time (for me, anyways) onion article: https://www.theonion.com/jakob-dylan-st ... 1819569590

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 9:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 9:43am
Reminds me of this all time (for me, anyways) onion article: https://www.theonion.com/jakob-dylan-st ... 1819569590
I fucking love that one, even if it's a little bit dickish.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 12:31pm
I used this exact image for my rock class' website! Part of the joke, for me, was that I doubted any students would get it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 8:20pm
Watched that semi-recent documentary series about Lennon's murder over the last couple days. Informative to the degree that I really knew very little about the murder beyond the basics. My Beatles love never took me to that level of inquiry. That said, it was a bit flat in terms of impact. I came away feeling some empathy towards Chapman, a guy with an abusive childhood, and because of his guilty plea he was denied psychiatric treatment in prison. Plus he's spent most of his incarceration in isolation, largely to protect him from other prisoners.

Weird factoid: John Hinckley also had a copy of Catcher in the Rye when he shot Reagan. Huh.
I've got a copy. Yet I've only managed to shoot myself in the foot.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia