Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 9:49am
coffeepotman wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 9:43am
I watched some of the old movie last night, just cause I couldn't get enough, I liked the complete songs. Why didn't they have complete songs on the new version, were they trying to save time?
As I understand it, Let It Be is getting a new and proper dvd release, and Jackson didn't want to take away from ML-H's film, so that's why GB doesn't have the same full performances that LIB does.
I did not know that, but very cool. I used to have a copy of "unknown origin" but the quality was crap.
I have a vhs rip. Watchable but not crisp at all.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Another favourite moment was when George starts playing Every Little Thing (which I love) when suggesting oldies they could do live. Hilarious how the "oldies" are five year old songs!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched The Rutles this morning. So damned good. Love Belushi's Allen Klein character's speech:

Also, "Doubleback Alley" is better than "Penny Lane."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's interesting that they were working on Gimme Some Truth and that Paul appeared to be an active participant in fleshing it out (even giving Lennon a line or two). Considering that Lennon appeared to not have a lot of new material, I wonder why they never took that one further? Too political? Too personal? Was Lennon too strung out to advocate for it?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:34am
It's interesting that they were working on Gimme Some Truth and that Paul appeared to be an active participant in fleshing it out (even giving Lennon a line or two). Considering that Lennon appeared to not have a lot of new material, I wonder why they never took that one further? Too political? Too personal? Was Lennon too strung out to advocate for it?
I can't help but think that both John and George were holding back, even if unconsciously, half a foot out the door already for their post-Beatles life. They clearly had ideas percolating but for all the "bossy Paul" stuff, they weren't exactly bringing a lot to the table.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

so, is the new documentary watchable for people (like me) who consider themselves fans but not obsessives? I have all the canon of music, but I've never been super interested in delving deeply into the lore and minutiae. That said, a good filmmaker and good subjects can obviously tell a good story, so I'm not discounting potential interest. It's just... such a long runtime.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:45am
WestwayKid wrote:
I can't help but think that both John and George were holding back, even if unconsciously, half a foot out the door already for their post-Beatles life. They clearly had ideas percolating but for all the "bossy Paul" stuff, they weren't exactly bringing a lot to the table.
Could be. I think that applies to George for sure, but John appears either super ramped up and enthusiastic or totally checked out. Was it the drugs?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:58am
so, is the new documentary watchable for people (like me) who consider themselves fans but not obsessives? I have all the canon of music, but I've never been super interested in delving deeply into the lore and minutiae. That said, a good filmmaker and good subjects can obviously tell a good story, so I'm not discounting potential interest. It's just... such a long runtime.
Watch it in parts. We've been doing an hour here and an hour there. The "slog" of those sessions comes through in the footage, though Jackson does a good job of making it interesting to watch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 12:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Could be. I think that applies to George for sure, but John appears either super ramped up and enthusiastic or totally checked out. Was it the drugs?
I'd bet Olaf's flute collection. He was a steady heroin user at that point and the band had used amphetamines dating back to Hamburg, so he was almost certainly bouncing around depending on mood and need.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 12:04pm
Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:58am
Watch it in parts. We've been doing an hour here and an hour there. The "slog" of those sessions comes through in the footage, though Jackson does a good job of making it interesting to watch.
Yeah, that's sensible advice. I think all of Part 1 is mesmerizing, but 2 and 3 the discussions and jams feel more tedious. Even for the non-obsessive, seeing the early stages of "Octopus' Garden" or "Old Brown Shoe" is really neat.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid wrote:
I noticed that the caption over that segment said something like "a song John and Paul had been working on" or something to that effect as well. I think it just got sidelined as they worked on things that would make up the live set, in the same way Junk/Teddy Boy/All Things Must Pass got the push.

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I think John genuinely didn't have much here — he groused later that Paul would say "It's time to record an album" and that he'd have to write a bunch of songs. Abbey Road he described as him getting rid of a bunch of half-written stuff.

George was just a huge grouch all the time and wanted to be in The Band. Yeesh!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Inder wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 12:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I noticed that the caption over that segment said something like "a song John and Paul had been working on" or something to that effect as well. I think it just got sidelined as they worked on things that would make up the live set, in the same way Junk/Teddy Boy/All Things Must Pass got the push.

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I think John genuinely didn't have much here — he groused later that Paul would say "It's time to record an album" and that he'd have to write a bunch of songs. Abbey Road he described as him getting rid of a bunch of half-written stuff.

If he thought Paul was a bit too much, I can only imagine how well he'd have gotten along with Robbie Robertson...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 12:33pm
Inder wrote:
If he thought Paul was a bit too much, I can only imagine how well he'd have gotten along with Robbie Robertson...
Ha!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
Which, I would guess, was due to the heroin more than anything else (i.e., Yoko). The White Album has been characterized as the group returning from India overloaded with songs and ideas, but then a few months later John's got little in the tank? What's happened between India and Get Back? Heroin (which itself was connected to his self-destructive instincts).