Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 2:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 1:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 9:26am

It's a mistaken interpretation that "Run For Your Life" is an admission or even justification of domestic abuse. In fact, John was being considerate and warning his lady friend that the beans and toast were about to re-emerge and make the air toxic.
I think it was this incident that inspired Paul to write "Fixing a Hole".
As well as the whole "Paul shit himself" rumour that started in '69.
Fifty years ago, a Detroit DJ accidentally started the biggest hoax in rock & roll history: the “Paul's butt is dead” craze. It blew up on October 12, 1969, when Russ Gibb was hosting his show on WKNR. A mysterious caller told him to put on the Beatles’ White Album and spin the “number nine, number nine” intro from “Revolution 9” backwards. When Gibb tried it on the air, he heard the words, “Turn me on, dead butt.” The clues kept coming. At the end of “Strawberry Fields Forever,” John says, “I curried Paul.” What could it all mean?

In 1969 Paul was last seen entering the toilet at Abbey Road singing "When I find myself in times of trouble...let it be oh let it be".
And in the end, the gas you make is equal to the food you take.
...Speaking words of wisdom, let it be!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 2:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 1:38pm

I think it was this incident that inspired Paul to write "Fixing a Hole".
Fifty years ago, a Detroit DJ accidentally started the biggest hoax in rock & roll history: the “Paul's butt is dead” craze. It blew up on October 12, 1969, when Russ Gibb was hosting his show on WKNR. A mysterious caller told him to put on the Beatles’ White Album and spin the “number nine, number nine” intro from “Revolution 9” backwards. When Gibb tried it on the air, he heard the words, “Turn me on, dead butt.” The clues kept coming. At the end of “Strawberry Fields Forever,” John says, “I curried Paul.” What could it all mean?

In 1969 Paul was last seen entering the toilet at Abbey Road singing "When I find myself in times of trouble...let it be oh let it be".
Let it be beans?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 3:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Let it be beans?
Paul McFartney ...all together now!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Let it be beans?
It was the bulldog. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 5:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 4:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Let it be beans?
It was the bulldog. :shifty:
Bullfrog
Doing it again
Some kind of happiness is measured out in piles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 10:24pm
Inder wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 3:13pm
Onto Craig Brown’s One, Two, Three, Four. Started yesterday and am already halfway through — lots of fun and v enjoyable. Track it down if you haven’t read it yet!
Started reading this evening. Delightfully breezy and inventive, but certainly for those who know The Story in and out, backward and forward already.
Yeah, a nice entry to Deep Beatle Theory.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'm fucking drunk and not thinking of the Beatles at all. I'm all about the Beaumonts. You're welcome...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 9:31pm
I'm fucking drunk and not thinking of the Beatles at all. I'm all about the Beaumonts. You're welcome...
No way you're drunk enough rev. Seriously drunk people post in the KISS thread.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Dec 2021, 6:29am
revbob wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 9:31pm
No way you're drunk enough rev. Seriously drunk people post in the KISS thread.😉
This is very, very true.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Craig Brown's One Two Three Four glides by a rather important stroke of luck in the Beatles' ascent:
'I Want to Hold Your Hand’ was not released in America for another month, and then only after a notably random chain of events. A Washington disc jockey had been given a British copy by an air hostess, and played it over and over again on his show, prompting top-forty stations in Chicago and St Louis to follow suit. At this point, Capitol Records recognised its potential, and released it as a single on Boxing Day 1963. Within a week it had reached number 43 in the US charts; it seemed likely to climb higher.
Prior to this point, all of the Beatles UK hit singles had been flops in the US. The presumption was that the US exports rock n roll, it doesn't import it, so there was little to no effort to promote foreign rock n roll records. And there's no reason to think that without this dj taking it upon himself, after the fluke of receiving a copy of IWtHYH, it would have been greeted at Capitol with anything more than meh. What if the dj doesn't listen to the record or does so while in a pissy mood? Similarly, if Ed Sullivan doesn't personally fly to the UK to scout for acts for his show, and isn't sufficiently intrigued by girls screaming for four guys with hair that's decidedly unguylike in the US, they don't play on his show and things don't take off. Talent is talent, but without luck it doesn't get realized as such. It's sobering but undeniably true, that even a watershed group like the Beatles required dumb luck to become huge.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More neat Beatles trivia that I wasn't aware of. Okay, I knew that "I Am the Walrus" was a reference to "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but I didn't know that John misunderstood the poem. He thought the Walrus was the good guy, and upon learning he was wrong, he said it should have been "I Am the Carpenter" (neither one, tho, are good guys, so he *really* didn't get the poem). The line in "Glass Onion" stating that the Walrus was Paul was a sly effort to correct his error and have a dig at his friend/competitor.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 10:36am
Talent is talent, but without luck it doesn't get realized as such. It's sobering but undeniably true, that even a watershed group like the Beatles required dumb luck to become huge.
This is how I console myself.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Talent is talent, but without luck it doesn't get realized as such. It's sobering but undeniably true, that even a watershed group like the Beatles required dumb luck to become huge.
:lol: And yet it is true. If your stuff was heard by a particular person in a specific context, you might be lying face down in your Beverly Hills swimming pool at this moment.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
:lol: And yet it is true. If your stuff was heard by a particular person in a specific context, you might be lying face down in your Beverly Hills swimming pool at this moment.
Sounds like a relief.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Dec 2021, 10:49am
More neat Beatles trivia that I wasn't aware of. Okay, I knew that "I Am the Walrus" was a reference to "The Walrus and the Carpenter," but I didn't know that John misunderstood the poem. He thought the Walrus was the good guy, and upon learning he was wrong, he said it should have been "I Am the Carpenter" (neither one, tho, are good guys, so he *really* didn't get the poem). The line in "Glass Onion" stating that the Walrus was Paul was a sly effort to correct his error and have a dig at his friend/competitor.
Paul was already dead, smart guy.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak