The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Giles Martin on the new Let It Be set: https://www.nme.com/features/music-inte ... ck-3064047
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Anyone know what the general anticipation is from Beatles fans on the Peter Jackson doc? How much of this footage was previously seen? Is this holy grail kinda stuff?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 1:41pm
Anyone know what the general anticipation is from Beatles fans on the Peter Jackson doc? How much of this footage was previously seen? Is this holy grail kinda stuff?
I'm super keen on it. The music has been available thru endless boots—like, huge sets that claim to be everything that was put on tape in those sessions—but most of what we have for video is from the Let It Be film, which emphasizes discord.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Just started re-reading Revolution in the Head — what fantastic way to rediscover all the songs you’ve heard a million times all over again. Brilliant book.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 1:47pm
matedog wrote:
I'm super keen on it. The music has been available thru endless boots—like, huge sets that claim to be everything that was put on tape in those sessions—but most of what we have for video is from the Let It Be film, which emphasizes discord.
Just saw the 4 minute trailer, I think it's beyond holy grail!

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

matedog wrote:
Massively over excited about this, not least because it's just before my birthday so I can legitimately tell my family to piss off and let me watch it in peace.

I've even started following various get back/let it be threads on Steve Hoffman.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Inder wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 5:33pm
Just started re-reading Revolution in the Head — what fantastic way to rediscover all the songs you’ve heard a million times all over again. Brilliant book.
I love, love, love this book. The best critical look at their music that I've ever read.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
I'm counting down the days. The footage quality looks incredible. I think it is Holy Grail sort of stuff. I once saw a bootleg of the original Let It Be film, but the quality was shit. To have a skilled filmmaker give this footage a new take is so cool. The Beatles are often lost as human beings, so to see them act do candidly is fascinating.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 2:56pm
matedog wrote:
Massively over excited about this, not least because it's just before my birthday so I can legitimately tell my family to piss off and let me watch it in peace.

I've even started following various get back/let it be threads on Steve Hoffman.
You're a brave man... ;) :mrgreen:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Deluxe edition is now up on Spotify. I've had good sounding boots of the Glyn Johns' mixes for years, but can't wait to dig into the proper release.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I like the 2021 remix, to my ears it sounds really good. We have a multitude of choices, 2021, Spector, Johns, Naked, they each have their merits.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

coffeepotman wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 11:55am
I like the 2021 remix, to my ears it sounds really good. We have a multitude of choices, 2021, Spector, Johns, Naked, they each have their merits.
I enjoyed the Pitchfork review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/th ... er-deluxe/
I enjoyed this line:
Make of it what you will, but the very notion that no one can seemingly figure out what Let It Be should sound like to this day is important for understanding just how confused the band was in the moment. Constant tinkering of this sort with Revolver or Rubber Soul would be tantamount to a desecration.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The constant attention to Let It Be/Get Back is reminiscent to our own minor obsession with picking at CtC. The least loved gets an eternity of proctological examination. Keep re-arranging and altering focus and eventually the good will be apparent. (All relatively speaking; LiB in any version is miles better than CtC.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 12:52pm
The constant attention to Let It Be/Get Back is reminiscent to our own minor obsession with picking at CtC. The least loved gets an eternity of proctological examination. Keep re-arranging and altering focus and eventually the good will be apparent. (All relatively speaking; LiB in any version is miles better than CtC.)
Blasphemer
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 12:52pm
Blasphemer