The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Inder »

I see Pitchfork repeating that All Things Must Pass was bumped from Get Back/Let it Be — I stumbled on this dude’s channel a while back which does a good job of getting into this canard:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Onto Craig Brown’s One, Two, Three, Four. Started yesterday and am already halfway through — lots of fun and v enjoyable. Track it down if you haven’t read it yet!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I am so looking forward to the Get Back documentary.
Its the greatest band doing what they did better than anyone else -- making a record.
The film that was shot of them was 16mm.
This is the Beatles, in their prime.
For fans like me, it is priceless.
I also think its historic.
The thing to remember is, the Beatles themselves at the time didn't think these tapes were worth doing anything with. They just said let's do something else instead. When you watch and hear them performing these great songs, knowing that they "weren't good enough" for them to release at the time ...... that says so much about the standards they set for themselves. Incredible.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is just what the world needs now.

:mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

weller259 wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 8:36pm
I am so looking forward to the Get Back documentary.
Its the greatest band doing what they did better than anyone else -- making a record.
The film that was shot of them was 16mm.
This is the Beatles, in their prime.
For fans like me, it is priceless.
I also think its historic.
The thing to remember is, the Beatles themselves at the time didn't think these tapes were worth doing anything with. They just said let's do something else instead. When you watch and hear them performing these great songs, knowing that they "weren't good enough" for them to release at the time ...... that says so much about the standards they set for themselves. Incredible.
Agreed. I've got the calendar cleared for 11/25!! Can't wait. The footage looks incredible: both the priceless content and the image quality, which looks like it was filmed yesterday.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 8:53pm
Not too shabby!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 8:53pm
I think he's a tremendously underrated actor. People think of him as a comedy guy but he has chops.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I watched I Wanna Hold Your Hand the other day as part of my Beatles hype period — captures the vibe of Beatlemania so well. Now into Torkelson’s The Beatles and Historians book, which seems so far like it was designed in a lab for Doc.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 12:54pm
I watched I Wanna Hold Your Hand the other day as part of my Beatles hype period — captures the vibe of Beatlemania so well. Now into Torkelson’s The Beatles and Historians book, which seems so far like it was designed in a lab for Doc.
Love that film. Silly, joyous stuff. Never heard of the book, tho, so I'm off to investigate!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Just read here that Klein convinced the Stones to set up a tax shelter corp, which quietly also transferred their North American publishing rights to his own company! And Jagger apparently didn’t bother telling the Fabs they were looking to escape Klein’s clutches, the rascal! Marianne Faithful said that this was a deliberate effort to fob Klein off on The Beatles while the Stones had someone look into what Klein had been doing to their accounts.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 3:17am
Just read here that Klein convinced the Stones to set up a tax shelter corp, which quietly also transferred their North American publishing rights to his own company! And Jagger apparently didn’t bother telling the Fabs they were looking to escape Klein’s clutches, the rascal! Marianne Faithful said that this was a deliberate effort to fob Klein off on The Beatles while the Stones had someone look into what Klein had been doing to their accounts.
Like the Curb ep where Larry passed his shitty secretary off on a friend
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

New clip from Get Back.

I've known the Yoko legend forever, but fuck, why is she there? I know that's a thing, but seeing it just reminds me how stupid that whole setup was.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 3:19pm
I've known the Yoko legend forever, but fuck, why is she there? I know that's a thing, but seeing it just reminds me how stupid that whole setup was.
She and John were serious soulmates and he relied on her as much as the other Beatles for inspiration and discourse for his ideas. Whether that reflects his strength or weakness is one's interpretation.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 3:19pm

New clip from Get Back.

Probably for "creative input".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung