Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 8:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 7:32pm
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-le ... m-keltner/

This seems entirely expected. Within the Beatles camp, sniping was acceptable, but it was only within. To everyone else, you haven't earned the right. It also suggests a basic love that persisted despite the wounded feelings.
I think it's something to do with coming up as kids, being kind of lousy (they were considered a pretty low tier Liverpool group for awhile), slogging it out, working an insane schedule in Hamburg, getting better, building a following and then just exploding in a way that really hadn't been seen before. The bond between John and Paul in particular, I don't think it could have been as bitter as it was if there wasn't love and betrayal behind it.
John and Paul is obvious. That George had the same kind of protectiveness is more indicative of the power of Beatleness, and even tho George resisted so much of it, he couldn't deny it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 8:40pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This seems entirely expected. Within the Beatles camp, sniping was acceptable, but it was only within. To everyone else, you haven't earned the right. It also suggests a basic love that persisted despite the wounded feelings.
I think it's something to do with coming up as kids, being kind of lousy (they were considered a pretty low tier Liverpool group for awhile), slogging it out, working an insane schedule in Hamburg, getting better, building a following and then just exploding in a way that really hadn't been seen before. The bond between John and Paul in particular, I don't think it could have been as bitter as it was if there wasn't love and betrayal behind it.
John and Paul is obvious. That George had the same kind of protectiveness is more indicative of the power of Beatleness, and even tho George resisted so much of it, he couldn't deny it.
I've heard him describe his relationship with John and Paul as being a little brother... and that he felt betrayed by both of them towards the end.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've heard him describe his relationship with John and Paul as being a little brother... and that he felt betrayed by both of them towards the end.
George is my favourite Beatle, but, lord, what a pain in the ass he must have been to be around. He seemed to have been a wry and decent person to those outside the band—his friendship with Eric Idle, for example—but in that circle the chip on his shoulder got bigger and heavier, even after they broke up. He seemed happiest outside the Beatles, yet cultivated a resentment towards the guys to whom he had that special bond. I do understand being a grouch, but you don't need it to be you.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

There’s also this from Lennon’s Rolling Stone interview:
“I was always very respectful about Mick and the Stones, but he said a lot of sort of tarty things about the Beatles, which I am hurt by, because you know, I can knock the Beatles, but don’t let Mick Jagger knock them.”

“I would like to just list what we did and what the Stones did two months after on every fuckin’ album,”

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Also, from the (great) new Macca book, John backtracking like 20 minutes after How Do You Sleep:
“John, by now, was hardly gleeful about ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ his irritation at ‘Too Many People’ having waned since he wrote and recorded his riposte.

“There’s a song which could well be a statement about Paul,” he told NME. “It could be interpreted that way. But then, it could be about an old chick I’d known . . . Or Somethin’.”4 Speaking with Sounds, he implied that it might not be about Paul at all—and then said why it might be: “A perverted mind could think” “it is about Paul. I’ll let you form your own opinion. It’s surreal enough to be about anyone, like Dylan’s ‘Like a Rolling Stone.’ Anyway, on Ram there are a lot of references to us, like in the line suggesting that George and I got a break in meeting him.”5
George, who played lead guitar on ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ tried to mend fences during the October 3 opening party for the finally completed £500,000 ($1,200,000) studios in the basement of Apple’s Savile Row offices and distanced himself from the song in the process.

“It’s a bit sad now that Apple is in the position all four of us planned three years ago. I just wish Paul would use the studio if he wants. It’s silly not to. I can’t see the four of us together again. But I’d like us at least to be friends. We all own this business and it’s doing well and I’d like all four of us to enjoy it now.” Asked about ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ he said, “It doesn’t help at all. I’m glad it wasn’t about me. I said to John as we were recording it, ‘It’s pretty hard on him[…]”

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 8:47am
Also, from the (great) new Macca book, John backtracking like 20 minutes after How Do You Sleep:
“John, by now, was hardly gleeful about ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ his irritation at ‘Too Many People’ having waned since he wrote and recorded his riposte.

“There’s a song which could well be a statement about Paul,” he told NME. “It could be interpreted that way. But then, it could be about an old chick I’d known . . . Or Somethin’.”4 Speaking with Sounds, he implied that it might not be about Paul at all—and then said why it might be: “A perverted mind could think” “it is about Paul. I’ll let you form your own opinion. It’s surreal enough to be about anyone, like Dylan’s ‘Like a Rolling Stone.’ Anyway, on Ram there are a lot of references to us, like in the line suggesting that George and I got a break in meeting him.”5
George, who played lead guitar on ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ tried to mend fences during the October 3 opening party for the finally completed £500,000 ($1,200,000) studios in the basement of Apple’s Savile Row offices and distanced himself from the song in the process.

“It’s a bit sad now that Apple is in the position all four of us planned three years ago. I just wish Paul would use the studio if he wants. It’s silly not to. I can’t see the four of us together again. But I’d like us at least to be friends. We all own this business and it’s doing well and I’d like all four of us to enjoy it now.” Asked about ‘How Do You Sleep?,’ he said, “It doesn’t help at all. I’m glad it wasn’t about me. I said to John as we were recording it, ‘It’s pretty hard on him[…]”
Huh. I wasn’t aware of both John and George being more conciliatory that soon after the split. What a mess of intense emotions.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 6:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

George is my favourite Beatle, but, lord, what a pain in the ass he must have been to be around. He seemed to have been a wry and decent person to those outside the band—his friendship with Eric Idle, for example—but in that circle the chip on his shoulder got bigger and heavier, even after they broke up. He seemed happiest outside the Beatles, yet cultivated a resentment towards the guys to whom he had that special bond. I do understand being a grouch, but you don't need it to be you.
I thought about George a lot when I was in that last band. Totally understand his moods, having lived through a dynamic of the same variety.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I thought about George a lot when I was in that last band. Totally understand his moods, having lived through a dynamic of the same variety.
I recall you saying something like that once before. A key difference, tho, is that you didn't have an underlying love for or deep bond with your bandmates. The frustration was a bit more … pure?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I just heard of this today

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 3:46pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I recall you saying something like that once before. A key difference, tho, is that you didn't have an underlying love for or deep bond with your bandmates. The frustration was a bit more … pure?
Hatred, even?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Hatred, even?
In the end, it was a useful experience, I hope, in clarifying all that shit you don't want to do and won't do. Shitty experiences are can be good experiences assuming you aren't legit traumatized by them.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hatred, even?
In the end, it was a useful experience, I hope, in clarifying all that shit you don't want to do and won't do. Shitty experiences are can be good experiences assuming you aren't legit traumatized by them.
For sure, though in retrospect I'm confused about why I said yes in the first place. Everything that I was worried about wound up happening almost instantly. We had a professional photo shoot within about a week of me officially joining. Priorities!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 5:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hatred, even?
For sure, though in retrospect I'm confused about why I said yes in the first place. Everything that I was worried about wound up happening almost instantly. We had a professional photo shoot within about a week of me officially joining. Priorities!
I can't remember what I said when you solicited opinions here, but I think I was wary of you joining just because you didn't seem to be all that committed to what they were doing. If my memory is right—blind chipmunks finding nuts, etc—then, clearly, you should put me on retainer as your guru.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 5:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hatred, even?
I can't remember what I said when you solicited opinions here, but I think I was wary of you joining just because you didn't seem to be all that committed to what they were doing. If my memory is right—blind chipmunks finding nuts, etc—then, clearly, you should put me on retainer as your guru.
Oh you mean you want money for the job now?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 6:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Apr 2023, 5:42pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hatred, even?
Oh you mean you want money for the job now?
I'll take Whacky Packs cards if you have them.