The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex »

This isn't at all an indictment of Marky's work (in general, I have yet to hear his new Abbey Road although I look forward to spinning it this weekend), but in some modicum of fairness to Giles Martin wasn't he specifically talking about making surround mixes? I can see where technology could be limited for some of those older recordings to make effective, like, dolby atmos compliant surround sound stuff. I think that's a sort of stupid bar to set for going through the Beatles catalog, mind.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 12:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 11:30am
So is this what Mr Giles Martin can't do with hundreds of thousands of pounds of technology at Abbey Road and I can with my software that cost less than a hundred pounds? Call the taxman I say.

https://mega.nz/file/kp52SQSb#lEu5LlpNN ... XgamdnG3pY
Sounds wonderful, thanks Marky.
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Um, groovy?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 12:45pm
This isn't at all an indictment of Marky's work (in general, I have yet to hear his new Abbey Road although I look forward to spinning it this weekend), but in some modicum of fairness to Giles Martin wasn't he specifically talking about making surround mixes? I can see where technology could be limited for some of those older recordings to make effective, like, dolby atmos compliant surround sound stuff. I think that's a sort of stupid bar to set for going through the Beatles catalog, mind.
I've not mixed Abbey Road. ;)

I think Giles is talking about a surround sound version. But he was saying the technology just isn't there to remix Revolver etc. He mentioned being unable to separate Lennon's guitar from his voice. Listening to all the versions I have John's voice and guitar in one channel bass, drums, guitar and backing vox in another.

This is suggesting that they do not have the tracks as separate entities. It suggest to me that John's vocals and guitar are both recorded to to same track. Mixed down and that Giles requires them as separate tracks to do justice to full surround sound mix. He is saying the technology to separate John's vocal from his guitar is not available yet.

There is tech that allows you to remove vocals from the remainder of the track (see Gerald's CtC) but it doesn't do this cleanly and it still leaves traces and leaves the vocal sounding thin. Not sufficient for a remaster of such a highly revered album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 6:21pm
Flex wrote:

I think Giles is talking about a surround sound version. But he was saying the technology just isn't there to remix Revolver etc. He mentioned being unable to separate Lennon's guitar from his voice. Listening to all the versions I have John's voice and guitar in one channel bass, drums, guitar and backing vox in another.

This is suggesting that they do not have the tracks as separate entities. It suggest to me that John's vocals and guitar are both recorded to to same track. Mixed down and that Giles requires them as separate tracks to do justice to full surround sound mix. He is saying the technology to separate John's vocal from his guitar is not available yet.

There is tech that allows you to remove vocals from the remainder of the track (see Gerald's CtC) but it doesn't do this cleanly and it still leaves traces and leaves the vocal sounding thin. Not sufficient for a remaster of such a highly revered album.
I recall they did something called an "extraction mix" on certain 60's Beach Boys tracks. Basically, Brian Wilson mixed everything to mono, so there were never many (if any) true stereo mixes. Everything was fake stereo. The extracted stereo they used on the last batch of remasters took the mono mixes, but then extracted certain elements from the mono and then used those elements to create as close to true stereo as they could. It's not true stereo, but it sounds a lot better than the fake stereo. I'm not saying this would work with something like Revolver, but just an interesting aside.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 9:35am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 6:21pm
Flex wrote:

I recall they did something called an "extraction mix" on certain 60's Beach Boys tracks. Basically, Brian Wilson mixed everything to mono, so there were never many (if any) true stereo mixes. Everything was fake stereo. The extracted stereo they used on the last batch of remasters took the mono mixes, but then extracted certain elements from the mono and then used those elements to create as close to true stereo as they could. It's not true stereo, but it sounds a lot better than the fake stereo. I'm not saying this would work with something like Revolver, but just an interesting aside.
I remember an old interview from the 60s on Ready, Steady Go! (I think) with Pete Townshend where he called The Beatles stereo albums "flipping lousy" he wasn't wrong. If they had mixed all the components as separate channels then it would've made things easier to mix today. But it appears to me that they recorded more than one thing per channel. I don't think they recorded a true stereo album until Abbey Road.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

That Georgia's always on my mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mind
Attachments
backintheussr.png
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 12:24pm
That Georgia's always on my mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mi mind
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 9:49pm

Paul puts out a video with a deepfake Paul. That stuff is still plenty unnerving to me.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A Beatles assertion: "Isn't It a Pity" is arguably the greatest post-Beatles song and certainly George's best. I especially appreciate how it affirms the Beatles perspective of unconditional love and respect, yet, true to George's jaundiced view of the world, it approaches it from how we fail to achieve that ideal. He embraces the ideal like the others, but can't ignore the reality that our own real weaknesses keep us from the prize.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Newly discovered Lennon interview tapes from the late 60s. Nothing especially surprising from the brief story.
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... -1.4669240

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 4:49pm
Newly discovered Lennon interview tapes from the late 60s. Nothing especially surprising from the brief story.
Guess I'm a little surprised he considered Revolution #9 one of his favorites, I can't get the needle off of the record fast enough when that track plays.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 6:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Guess I'm a little surprised he considered Revolution #9 one of his favorites, I can't get the needle off of the record fast enough when that track plays.
In 1969 and annoyed with being a Beatle, it makes a lot of sense.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 6:24pm
Sparky wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 6:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In 1969 and annoyed with being a Beatle, it makes a lot of sense.
I'm sure the 1969 part had a lot to do with it.
Attachments
Drugs Are Bad M'Kay.jpg
Drugs Are Bad M'Kay.jpg (24.47 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung