Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 4:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 3:53pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 3:40pm
Had a good listen to the Revolver deluxe tonight and it's great. I always had an avid dislike of those old hard-panned stereo mixes, and used to pray for releases like this. Paperback Writer also sounds amazing with a real stereo mix. Compare it with the old version and the difference is unreal. One minor gripe, the lead vocal sounds too loud on Eleanor Rigby.
I haven't been as wowed by this effort as the previous ones, but whatever, it's still the goddamned Beatles. When I do my Beatles lecture, I always ask how many love the Beatles and how many hate them. And then quiz the haters. And end the quiz with joking (but not really), "You're all wrong. The Beatles were great and continue to deserve all the hype."
My 16 year old daughter hates them. From what I can gather it's a dislike of their monolithic status.
They made some great music and some not so great music.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Had a good listen to the Revolver deluxe tonight and it's great. I always had an avid dislike of those old hard-panned stereo mixes, and used to pray for releases like this. Paperback Writer also sounds amazing with a real stereo mix. Compare it with the old version and the difference is unreal. One minor gripe, the lead vocal sounds too loud on Eleanor Rigby.
I haven't been as wowed by this effort as the previous ones, but whatever, it's still the goddamned Beatles. When I do my Beatles lecture, I always ask how many love the Beatles and how many hate them. And then quiz the haters. And end the quiz with joking (but not really), "You're all wrong. The Beatles were great and continue to deserve all the hype."
My 16 year old daughter hates them. From what I can gather it's a dislike of their monolithic status.
When I corner kids on the topic, that's the general reason. Their parents like them, people go on about them too much, that kind of thing. That's just silly contrarianism, driven by the group's status rather than the actual music. Which, when you're 15 or 16, okay, I understand that. It's unfortunate by the time you hit your 20s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:14pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
When I corner kids on the topic, that's the general reason. Their parents like them, people go on about them too much, that kind of thing. That's just silly contrarianism, driven by the group's status rather than the actual music. Which, when you're 15 or 16, okay, I understand that. It's unfortunate by the time you hit your 20s.
Oh yeah, agreed. I hated the Stones til I was about 23.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I don't hate them; I just don't get their exalted status.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:30pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah I get that. For me they had golden run from 64 to about 71 and thereafter there be dragons. That's 51 years of mediocrity.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah I get that. For me they had golden run from 64 to about 71 and thereafter there be dragons. That's 51 years of mediocrity.
Maybe truth. But I wonder how crap The Beatles would sound today.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:45pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Indeed. Add The Jam to that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Indeed. Add The Jam to that.
The Jam? Based on Paul's output since?

Weller split The Jam because he always wanted them to stand for youth. So that's incredibly honourable in my opinion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

To their great credit, they quit before it could get to that, but I see no reason to think they would have escaped that way-past-their-prime rot. As much as those significant 60s bands shaped their time, they were also shaped by them, and shifting environments and audiences have most been unkind to those groups' creativity.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

To their great credit, they quit before it could get to that, but I see no reason to think they would have escaped that way-past-their-prime rot. As much as those significant 60s bands shaped their time, they were also shaped by them, and shifting environments and audiences have most been unkind to those groups' creativity.
I agree. As they aged they would've become less vital.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Additionally, as I age they become less vital.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd hope that John and George wouldn't have tolerated letting the group become an oldies act just to make money or seem "relevant." Paul and Ringo have been very happy to do that, as is their right, but it detracts little by little.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:27pm
Ha! Very nice!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hello,

It's interesting but I've never seen them as vital as other artists. Some that they inspired are way more vital to me. I don't deny what incredible song writers they were. But Dylan, Hendrix, The Kinks and The Who took it to another level for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:41pm
It's interesting but I've never seen them as vital as other artists. Some that they inspired are way more vital to me. I don't deny what incredible song writers they were. But Dylan, Hendrix, The Kinks and The Who took it to another level for me.
That's a fair perspective, tho I don't specifically agree in the case of the Beatles. But with Bowie, I love immensely so many of the artists he inspired even as Bowie himself mostly doesn't do much for me. Wish he did and I revisit and retry every so often, but nope, the switch just isn't flicked.