Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 9:59pm
Heston wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 7:59pm
BitterTom wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 6:04pm
Excuse my incoming ignorance.

A few Christmases ago, John Lewis (department store over here) released a festive ad featuring a song called Real Love by Tom what's-his-name. I thought it was quite a nice warm track, lovely melody. A few months pass and I'm told it was actually written by Lennon. Finding the original on Anthology 2, I was blown away by how I never knew and by how spectacular it was.
It was much better than Free As a Bird, should have been the lead track for the Anthology series. Saying that, I like Free As a Bird as well.
I'm pretty pro-FAAB, too. I'm unashamedly sentimental in those Threetles songs. One last offering of the magic.
It was amazing that it happened.

Now if only Mick, Topper and Paul had the foresight to do something similar with the CtC multitracks...
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 10:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

A few Christmases ago, John Lewis (department store over here) released a festive ad featuring a song called Real Love by Tom what's-his-name. I thought it was quite a nice warm track, lovely melody. A few months pass and I'm told it was actually written by Lennon. Finding the original on Anthology 2, I was blown away by how I never knew and by how spectacular it was.
It was much better than Free As a Bird, should have been the lead track for the Anthology series. Saying that, I like Free As a Bird as well.
I'm pretty pro-FAAB, too. I'm unashamedly sentimental in those Threetles songs. One last offering of the magic.

Now if only Mick, Topper and Paul had the foresight to do something similar with the CtC multitracks...
The Anthology series happened because of both all the Beatles bootlegs that showed an interest in alternate takes and, especially, George was broke, so he paused his jaundiced view of the Beatles and his icy relationship with Paul and agreed to do it. Not romantic at all, but the results were still a satisfying final chapter.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 10:26pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

The Anthology series happened because of both all the Beatles bootlegs that showed an interest in alternate takes and, especially, George was broke, so he paused his jaundiced view of the Beatles and his icy relationship with Paul and agreed to do it. Not romantic at all, but the results were still a satisfying final chapter.
Please don’t give anything belonging to the Clash to Jeff Chug Chug Chug Lynne

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 12:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 10:26pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Please don’t give anything belonging to the Clash to Jeff Chug Chug Chug Lynne
Everybody's looking for the last wimp in town.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'd never herd this cover of I Shall Be Released before. A bit ropy, but interesting:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Flex wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 10:58am
I'd never herd this cover of I Shall Be Released before. A bit ropy, but interesting:
Oh man, this takes me back to the downloading the A/B Road Beatles boot off Usenet years and years ago... something like 90 CDs(!!!!) worth of material from the Twickenham Get Back sessions. A really weird hodge-podge of depressing junk, funny moments and jamming.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

"C Moon" by Wings came on the radio a few weeks ago and I'd never heard it before in my life. I was surprised to find out it was a big hit back in the 70s according to the DJ. I've now got it lodged in my fucking brain all these weeks later and I've only ever heard it once.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 8:10pm
"C Moon" by Wings came on the radio a few weeks ago and I'd never heard it before in my life. I was surprised to find out it was a big hit back in the 70s according to the DJ. I've now got it lodged in my fucking brain all these weeks later and I've only ever heard it once.
Yep I heard "Goodnight Tonight" on the Tele playing in the background on something the other day. That fucker gets stuck in my head over and over. I hated it on release and I like it even less now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

523AE8B7-A789-49E1-BA69-F02BBACFB6FA.jpeg
523AE8B7-A789-49E1-BA69-F02BBACFB6FA.jpeg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Mono version of Meet the Beatles is an absolutely skull crushing recording. Especially when listen on headphones. Even the slow songs are really loud. I’m not complaining.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:48pm

Mono version of Meet the Beatles is an absolutely skull crushing recording. Especially when listen on headphones. Even the slow songs are really loud. I’m not complaining.
Always found the sub text very misleading as it was only the first album released by Capitol. Not their first album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:

I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so disorienting.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 1:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so crap.
Fixed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so disorienting.
I picked up a copy of The U.S. Albums a few years back. I was drawn to it because growing up when I listened to The Beatles, I listened to my dad's Capitol vinyl. It was a bit disorientating when I grew up and discovered the original UK releases. I've accepted those as the definitive versions, but still have a fondness for Meet the Beatles, Beatles VI, and so on. Each disc is in stereo and mono, but I seldom (if ever) listen to the stereo versions.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 1:56pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I'm so glad they put out that mono box, it increased my interest in the band a thousandfold. The stereo mixes are so crap.
Fixed.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: