The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Kory »

I've been deep diving into '70s soca music and YouTube has been a godsend since none of this stuff is available outside of the original LPs and needle drops of them on YT.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this stuff? It's still not as well documented online as I'd like, even if there's wayyyyy more about it now than there was when I started researching in 1998.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:44pm
I've been deep diving into '70s soca music and YouTube has been a godsend since none of this stuff is available outside of the original LPs and needle drops of them on YT.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this stuff? It's still not as well documented online as I'd like, even if there's wayyyyy more about it now than there was when I started researching in 1998.
Hello,

Try to find a copy of Lif Up Your Leg and Trample - really great collection. It's not the 70's - it's better. (If you can't locate a copy, let me know.)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:47pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 12:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:45am

This was a really solid late period REM single. Crunchy riff, trademark Peter Buck arpeggios, live drumming (sadly not Bill Berry), and a prominent Mike Mills harmony vocal on the chorus. I was blown away when this came out because I had stopped expecting much from the band.
It's good but, I think, only due to low expectations of the band.
They really did experience a real fall from musical grace, didn't they? I really like everything from Murmur through Green and then it gets spotty. I think Out of Time is overrated. Automatic is mostly great. Monster has aged poorly. New Adventures is underrated (but too long). Everything after Bill Berry left is really not great. Their final 2 albums were hailed as somewhat of a comeback, but to your point - I think largely because of low expectations. To their credit, they did finally pull the plug.
If it's IRS, it's very good to great. Green is half a good album. Automatic is quite good. Everything else is boring or a shrug, with a few moments to remind. If they had stopped with BB quit, we all would have imagined what might have been if they'd carried on, instead of having what they actually did. I'll say it again: The Beatles' greatness is confirmed by quitting before they watered down their accomplishments.
Same with The Smiths.
Agreed. They weren't yet showing signs of rot musically, but Morrissey's ego was clearly taking its toll on the others, so it was just a matter of time.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:47pm
Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 2:44pm

Hello,

Try to find a copy of Lif Up Your Leg and Trample - really great collection. It's not the 70's - it's better. (If you can't locate a copy, let me know.)
This stuff is good, and for years it was the only stuff available. What I like about the 70s soca is how organic it is, and its context in history as a competitor to reggae. I also like sleuthing and learning new stuff about it since it's hardly documented compared to the contemporary sounds.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Top ten, maybe five, single of the 1990s. Absolutely everything I love about shoegaze.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

All 6 eps of 1977s Marc Bolan show is on the youtube

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/mar ... gzVOrYzLYw
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This might be the "Most 80s" video. Lots of goofy jump-cuts, slow motion stuff, nothing making a lick of sense. I know I loved it (song and video) when it came out—still in the heady rush of discovering punk and post-punk—but now it's more than a bit cringing.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 8:50pm
This might be the "Most 80s" video. Lots of goofy jump-cuts, slow motion stuff, nothing making a lick of sense. I know I loved it (song and video) when it came out—still in the heady rush of discovering punk and post-punk—but now it's more than a bit cringing.
If they had recorded / released Seattle 80-82 instead of later 80’s I reckon it would have been a big hit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If they had recorded / released Seattle 80-82 instead of later 80’s I reckon it would have been a big hit.
PiL post-Levene stopped sounding weird and vaguely futuristic, but instead sounded like other bands around them. "Seattle" is a perfectly nice alternative rock song from the late 80s. It's music meant to sell records, not to challenge or confound or reject. That the video is so much of its time further confirms this.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 1:40am

I've had all those for years on a DVD. Great stuff love it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 7:33am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
PiL post-Levene stopped sounding weird and vaguely futuristic, but instead sounded like other bands around them. "Seattle" is a perfectly nice alternative rock song from the late 80s. It's music meant to sell records, not to challenge or confound or reject. That the video is so much of its time further confirms this.
This video feels like watching an episode of 120 Minutes.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 8:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's just it, right? It's so … generic. Alternative generic, sure, but still so common. Remove Lydon and none of that gets a sniff of airplay.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 7:40am
tepista wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 1:40am

I've had all those for years on a DVD. Great stuff love it.
I noticed there were some repeats. But yeah, I loved it too.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 9:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's just it, right? It's so … generic. Alternative generic, sure, but still so common. Remove Lydon and none of that gets a sniff of airplay.

Nor should it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 9:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Nor should it.
No, not at all. So, so bland.