The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by WestwayKid »

"Lost" power pop classic.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 3:42pm

Ahh, takes me back to my high school days, as does this one.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 5:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:

They're still a fantastic band. Have you ever seen them live? I'm in Milwaukee, so a stone's throw from Rockford. We were going to have Rock'n Vodka at our 2020 food show (I work in marketing for a large food distributor) and one of their partners is Rick Nielson. He was going to come to the event and I was psyched - ready to meet one of my music heroes, but then we had to cancel due to COVID and now they're on tour... So no appearance this year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 7:22pm
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

They're still a fantastic band. Have you ever seen them live? I'm in Milwaukee, so a stone's throw from Rockford. We were going to have Rock'n Vodka at our 2020 food show (I work in marketing for a large food distributor) and one of their partners is Rick Nielson. He was going to come to the event and I was psyched - ready to meet one of my music heroes, but then we had to cancel due to COVID and now they're on tour... So no appearance this year.
Appropriate retro-IMCT content: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 29#p259829
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

No, unfortunately I've never seen them live, but I would like to.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 7:48pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Appropriate retro-IMCT content: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 29#p259829
I would also have said something dumb to Rick Nielson.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

revbob wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 11:16pm
I like this!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Went to the Rock HoF last weekend and they have a short movie (directed by the late Jonathon Demme) that captures some of the great HoF performances. They (rightly) end the video with this clip, which I've never paid much attention to, but wow - Prince!? That solo at the end is incredible. He just kind of stands off to the side of the stage for most of the performance, but then just ignites. The performance and the showmanship.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:00am

Went to the Rock HoF last weekend and they have a short movie (directed by the late Jonathon Demme) that captures some of the great HoF performances. They (rightly) end the video with this clip, which I've never paid much attention to, but wow - Prince!? That solo at the end is incredible. He just kind of stands off to the side of the stage for most of the performance, but then just ignites. The performance and the showmanship.
Fantastic find, thanks for posting it, I've always loved this song, this version is amazing.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 12:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Fantastic find, thanks for posting it, I've always loved this song, this version is amazing.
I read that he was originally asked to play the solo in the middle of the song, but then 1) another musician asked to play that solo or 2) Prince said he'd rather come in at the end. He did not play the solo during rehearsals, so nobody was quite sure what to expect. Dhanni Harrison later said he felt that Prince upstaged the performance, but Tom Petty said it was an incredible performance and that George would have been pleased.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 12:27pm
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I read that he was originally asked to play the solo in the middle of the song, but then 1) another musician asked to play that solo or 2) Prince said he'd rather come in at the end. He did not play the solo during rehearsals, so nobody was quite sure what to expect. Dhanni Harrison later said he felt that Prince upstaged the performance, but Tom Petty said it was an incredible performance and that George would have been pleased.
Interesting, I kind of wondered about that. I was watching Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne's facial expressions and it didn't look like anyone was objecting to Prince leads.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:

Hello,

There's a lot of good musicians onstage but it's basically a race for second place.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 12:30pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 12:27pm
Sparky wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Interesting, I kind of wondered about that. I was watching Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne's facial expressions and it didn't look like anyone was objecting to Prince leads.
Definitely. It looks like they're all enjoying the moment, especially Petty.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

RIP Rachel.