The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 12:29pm
I heard this great fucking Indian language cover on a TV show! Check it!

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=62C7492F
Jefferson Airplane Glue. Awesome.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A song that just popped up in my brainbox, by our late alum Hellboy's band.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This 1970 performance of Bobbie Gentry on the Ed Sullivan Show (backed by Goose Creek Symphony) was recently uploaded and it is very, very fantastic:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 1:17pm
Good vid, great t-shirt!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This was used as the closing music of the final episode of Gaslit, at Martha Mitchell's funeral. But I quite like the video as a way of expressing the idea of life being a collection of moments.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 12:17pm

This was used as the closing music of the final episode of Gaslit, at Martha Mitchell's funeral. But I quite like the video as a way of expressing the idea of life being a collection of moments.
Don't know why exactly but i really have little or no interest in music videos, unless they are live recordings, but as for this band, anytime i hear one of their songs my customary response is usually "not too bad at all."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Don't know why exactly but i really have little or no interest in music videos, unless they are live recordings, but as for this band, anytime i hear one of their songs my customary response is usually "not too bad at all."
Mostly, the only music videos I like was the ones that work as a short film of sorts (tho I also like those that demystify or fuck with expectations and conventions). As long as I want to know what happens next, it's a success. That said, very few videos achieve that for me.

I'd heard *of* Wolf Alice, but never heard them. The bits I've listened to in the last couple days are, yeah, not bad.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:44pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Mostly, the only music videos I like was the ones that work as a short film of sorts (tho I also like those that demystify or fuck with expectations and conventions). As long as I want to know what happens next, it's a success. That said, very few videos achieve that for me.

I'd heard *of* Wolf Alice, but never heard them. The bits I've listened to in the last couple days are, yeah, not bad.
I guess my interest died out after the novelty of mtv wore off and top of the pops ceased being vital. I only think of music as an aural thing though that could mean I am missing out on a potentially interesting part of the experience. Just habit, i guess.

From limited listening, I find the earlier Wolf Alice stuff more interesting than the latest, rockier, more grungy or something. This, i think is a classic, proper guitar licks and bass.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:09pm
I guess my interest died out after the novelty of mtv wore off and top of the pops ceased being vital. I only think of music as an aural thing though that could mean I am missing out on a potentially interesting part of the experience. Just habit, i guess.
Your first sentence rings very true with me. When I do my MTV lecture, I tell students that being 14 in 1983, music video shows were mesmerizing. Vital stuff in a way nothing else on tv was. But the novelty did fade and the videos became more boring even as the budgets grew. For awhile, tho, it's hard to convey to kids nowadays how significant it seemed.
From limited listening, I find the earlier Wolf Alice stuff more interesting than the latest, rockier, more grungy or something. This, i think is a classic, proper guitar licks and bass.

That's very much a "that's okay" from me. Hearing that wouldn't encourage me to seek out more, but I wouldn't flip to something else either.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 11:19am
This 1970 performance of Bobbie Gentry on the Ed Sullivan Show (backed by Goose Creek Symphony) was recently uploaded and it is very, very fantastic:
She's absolute class.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:09pm
Your first sentence rings very true with me. When I do my MTV lecture, I tell students that being 14 in 1983, music video shows were mesmerizing. Vital stuff in a way nothing else on tv was. But the novelty did fade and the videos became more boring even as the budgets grew. For awhile, tho, it's hard to convey to kids nowadays how significant it seemed.

That's very much a "that's okay" from me. Hearing that wouldn't encourage me to seek out more, but I wouldn't flip to something else either.
It's not a subject I've dwelt on too much tbh, but looking back, it does seem a little insane now the emphasis that we put on music videos. I remember Thriller in particular being anticipated like it was some kind of major motion picture release, though I don't recall the lavish production actually making me like the song any more than I did which was only moderately. Do these things repay the layout or is that even the point at all?

Fair enough on WA. Overall I would share that assessment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:45pm
It's not a subject I've dwelt on too much tbh, but looking back, it does seem a little insane now the emphasis that we put on music videos.
It was entirely ridiculous how much we invested into watching videos. It was definitely the equivalent of water cooler talk at school when something new and anticipated premiered, so it kind of became mandatory to stay current.
I remember Thriller in particular being anticipated like it was some kind of major motion picture release, though I don't recall the lavish production actually making me like the song any more than I did which was only moderately. Do these things repay the layout or is that even the point at all?
It was so absurd that MTV had little counters at the bottom of the screen telling people the next time "Thriller" was going to be shown. And it was cool and elaborate the first couple times, but constant reviewings? I seem to recall that the only way that Warners would pony up for the budget of "Thriller" was that they'd also make a "making of" feature that got packaged and sold on VHS. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was the last gasp of the utterly insane mass hype superstar. We'll never see anything like that again.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:45pm
It's not a subject I've dwelt on too much tbh, but looking back, it does seem a little insane now the emphasis that we put on music videos.
It was entirely ridiculous how much we invested into watching videos. It was definitely the equivalent of water cooler talk at school when something new and anticipated premiered, so it kind of became mandatory to stay current.
I remember Thriller in particular being anticipated like it was some kind of major motion picture release, though I don't recall the lavish production actually making me like the song any more than I did which was only moderately. Do these things repay the layout or is that even the point at all?
It was so absurd that MTV had little counters at the bottom of the screen telling people the next time "Thriller" was going to be shown. And it was cool and elaborate the first couple times, but constant reviewings? I seem to recall that the only way that Warners would pony up for the budget of "Thriller" was that they'd also make a "making of" feature that got packaged and sold on VHS. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was the last gasp of the utterly insane mass hype superstar. We'll never see anything like that again.
The sheer fun bands must have had shooting those videos, Duran Duran jetting off to the Caribbean or somewhere to do Rio. Just insane! I remember when they sang "Video killed the radio star" but I think Trevor Horn was always premature about that. Not for me, not ever.