The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 3:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:57pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 2:45pm
It's not a subject I've dwelt on too much tbh, but looking back, it does seem a little insane now the emphasis that we put on music videos.
It was entirely ridiculous how much we invested into watching videos. It was definitely the equivalent of water cooler talk at school when something new and anticipated premiered, so it kind of became mandatory to stay current.
I remember Thriller in particular being anticipated like it was some kind of major motion picture release, though I don't recall the lavish production actually making me like the song any more than I did which was only moderately. Do these things repay the layout or is that even the point at all?
It was so absurd that MTV had little counters at the bottom of the screen telling people the next time "Thriller" was going to be shown. And it was cool and elaborate the first couple times, but constant reviewings? I seem to recall that the only way that Warners would pony up for the budget of "Thriller" was that they'd also make a "making of" feature that got packaged and sold on VHS. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was the last gasp of the utterly insane mass hype superstar. We'll never see anything like that again.
The sheer fun bands must have had shooting those videos, Duran Duran jetting off to the Caribbean or somewhere to do Rio. Just insane! I remember when they sang "Video killed the radio star" but I think Trevor Horn was always premature about that. Not for me, not ever.
Compare that to the low-grade effort of the Rolling Stones for "Start Me Up." Working on Boise, Idaho, bar band budget.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 3:33pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It's not a subject I've dwelt on too much tbh, but looking back, it does seem a little insane now the emphasis that we put on music videos.
It was entirely ridiculous how much we invested into watching videos. It was definitely the equivalent of water cooler talk at school when something new and anticipated premiered, so it kind of became mandatory to stay current.
I remember Thriller in particular being anticipated like it was some kind of major motion picture release, though I don't recall the lavish production actually making me like the song any more than I did which was only moderately. Do these things repay the layout or is that even the point at all?
It was so absurd that MTV had little counters at the bottom of the screen telling people the next time "Thriller" was going to be shown. And it was cool and elaborate the first couple times, but constant reviewings? I seem to recall that the only way that Warners would pony up for the budget of "Thriller" was that they'd also make a "making of" feature that got packaged and sold on VHS. Without a doubt, Michael Jackson was the last gasp of the utterly insane mass hype superstar. We'll never see anything like that again.
The sheer fun bands must have had shooting those videos, Duran Duran jetting off to the Caribbean or somewhere to do Rio. Just insane! I remember when they sang "Video killed the radio star" but I think Trevor Horn was always premature about that. Not for me, not ever.
Compare that to the low-grade effort of the Rolling Stones for "Start Me Up." Working on Boise, Idaho, bar band budget.
Yeah and must admit I did like the video for Waiting on a Friend too, just has a certain charm about it. But I can remember Undercover of the Night being a fairly sophisticated production so they did eventually succumb to it in some fashion I think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah and must admit I did like the video for Waiting on a Friend too, just has a certain charm about it. But I can remember Undercover of the Night being a fairly sophisticated production so they did eventually succumb to it in some fashion I think.
I remember UotN was banned for some time because of the execution scene.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 3:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I remember UotN was banned for some time because of the execution scene.
Ah, I knew there had been some hullabaloo about that video alright, but had forgotten what it was.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

One for Jenny and Neil.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hmmmm sounds a little familiar.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 1:17pm
One for Jenny and Neil.

That's sweet (weird use of "Jump," tho). Of all those original UK punks, I'm most pleased that Poly is one who still inspires.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Paul Simonon guesting with the Gorillaz.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 12:27pm
Not sure what's fundamentally new or different in the mix, but there's a noticeable clarity listening to it compared to the original.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

One of the most affecting songs of the past ten years, I reckon. The last minute is an electric current running along my skin.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This is good stuff from James Chance and it's pretty accessible.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 12:27pm
Not sure what's fundamentally new or different in the mix, but there's a noticeable clarity listening to it compared to the original.
I'm looking forward to the album. A shame the tour got cancelled but it looks like he is on the mend after his accident.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is absurdly adorable.