The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 7:51pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 7:24pm
Been listening to some Tourists of late, a lot of really good pop tunes with clever, inventive arrangements and, of course, some very obvious star potential on lead vocals.

Underrated band all three of their albums are solid.
They really are. I've been most pleasantly surprised how well they sound after all these years. Credit to Peet Coombes, he did most of the writing, i think. The Lonliest Man in the World was a fantastic single and yet didn't break the top 30. Deserved an awful lot better.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 8:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Been listening to some Tourists of late, a lot of really good pop tunes with clever, inventive arrangements and, of course, some very obvious star potential on lead vocals.

They really are. I've been most pleasantly surprised how well they sound after all these years. Credit to Peet Coombes, he did most of the writing, i think. The Lonliest Man in the World was a fantastic single and yet didn't break the top 30. Deserved an awful lot better.
Yep Peet was a really good song writer. I liked them from seeing Blind Amongst the Flowers on some show back in the day.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jan 2023, 5:21am
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 8:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yep Peet was a really good song writer. I liked them from seeing Blind Amongst the Flowers on some show back in the day.
Another good song, kind of a shame their breakout hit had to be a cover, albeit a very decent one. As much as I'm a fan of Annie, I never really got the Eurythmics but gonna give a quick spin through the catalogue to see if there are any gems lurking alongside the hits.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

No bass so Kory will hate it.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 9:43am

That was cool, especially the end when he explained that this was for the benefit of the Lawrence County Humane Society Animal Shelter. Good music and a good cause.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 11:57am
revbob wrote:

That was cool, especially the end when he explained that this was for the benefit of the Lawrence County Humane Society Animal Shelter. Good music and a good cause.
Hello,

Very good!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 12:33pm
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Very good!
Yeah I just came across them today. The drummer playing in a housecoat with curlers in her hair is priceless.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 12:58pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 12:33pm
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Very good!
Yeah I just came across them today. The drummer playing in a housecoat with curlers in her hair is priceless.
Hello,

When I usually eat at the Down Home Grill, I use the drive-thru. I'll have to stop in next time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is inspired by the latest re-release of New Order's Low-Life. Thinking of both New Order and The Cure at this time inspires some obvious nostalgia, driven by prominent compilations (Substance and Standing on a Beach) and how listening—discovering, really, felt like hearing the Beatles in the 60s. That is, those songs felt massive to me, like these were far more than things to entertain or amuse, but statements or an event of some kind. I had no idea what those statements were—I still don't, frankly—but these things just seemed far bigger than pop songs, albeit pop songs of the left field kind. I know that this was mostly due to my age at the time (16ish) and that I was just discovering music outside the Top 40 and that this alters how we remember certain records. But, damn, it still feels really significant, a marker on the map, in ways that so many records I love from this time don't (e.g., Wire).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 8:31pm

This is inspired by the latest re-release of New Order's Low-Life. Thinking of both New Order and The Cure at this time inspires some obvious nostalgia, driven by prominent compilations (Substance and Standing on a Beach) and how listening—discovering, really, felt like hearing the Beatles in the 60s. That is, those songs felt massive to me, like these were far more than things to entertain or amuse, but statements or an event of some kind. I had no idea what those statements were—I still don't, frankly—but these things just seemed far bigger than pop songs, albeit pop songs of the left field kind. I know that this was mostly due to my age at the time (16ish) and that I was just discovering music outside the Top 40 and that this alters how we remember certain records. But, damn, it still feels really significant, a marker on the map, in ways that so many records I love from this time don't (e.g., Wire).
Hello,

These songs were massive at the time as they were different in a time when different was not always sought after by pop/rock performers. I was a little older than you at the time (I'm no longer older than you now). As I best recall, peers wanted to be like Journey who had larger than life experiences, emotions, and clothing. Punk and new wave performers looked much more normal and discussed much more normal/common experiences. The music was much less pretentious and formula-driven (you may argue that it became formula-driven later). This got me to a much greater extent than what was playing on Top 40 radio of the day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 10:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 8:31pm

Hello,

These songs were massive at the time as they were different in a time when different was not always sought after by pop/rock performers. I was a little older than you at the time (I'm no longer older than you now). As I best recall, peers wanted to be like Journey who had larger than life experiences, emotions, and clothing. Punk and new wave performers looked much more normal and discussed much more normal/common experiences. The music was much less pretentious and formula-driven (you may argue that it became formula-driven later). This got me to a much greater extent than what was playing on Top 40 radio of the day.
I agree with you in general, of course, that that was so much of what made punk/new wave/post-punk appealing. But I'm also referencing how some of these bands felt *important,* that each release was *important.* I don't feel that way about The Fall or The Smiths or Wire, say, who were also releasing records I liked at the same time. It's an odd categorization, utterly subjective, where there's something approaching awe with these records.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I mean, c'mon, this is great, right? As in fuck yeah great.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 11:04am

I can dig it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 11:04am

I can dig it.
People who dig Killing Joke are good people.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Don't think I've seen this posted here before, nothing new, stuff most Clash fans have probably heard before with regards to their first album, but it was only 5 minutes and fun to watch.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung