The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:50pm
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:21pm
Thanks for sharing that. Wonderfully down-to-earth and sincere.
She's just great. I'm saying that in all sincerity. And her allyship with the LGBT community was never performative or poaching (ahem, Vogue) like Madonna's.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:50pm
revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 5:21pm
Thanks for sharing that. Wonderfully down-to-earth and sincere.
Yeah I wasn't sure to what degree this was publicized outside of our little corner of the world.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Madonna is so much better than Cyndi Lauper, have you lost your collective minds?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:01pm
Madonna is so much better than Cyndi Lauper, have you lost your collective minds?
Other than appealing to my more base instincts as a teenager/young man Madonna has never held any appeal for me. She always came off as more of a spectacle than anything else.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
Other than appealing to my more base instincts as a teenager/young man Madonna has never held any appeal for me. She always came off as more of a spectacle than anything else.
A spectacle yes, but a better catalogue of songs than Cyndi.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:13pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
The only Madonna songs I like are “Into the Groove” and “Like a Prayer.” She's been as adept a self-promoter as any in pop history. If judged solely on the music, she's pretty damned meh.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Umm I've not extensively listened to either so for me to weigh in one way or the other wouldn't be based on much input. Madonna certainly seems to have a more extensive catalog. I guess my tendency to lean more one way over the other is something less tangible but sort of what Jenny and Doc seemed to touch upon. Madonna fans back in high school were not the type I tended to hang out with. How much of that was related to marketing is hard to say.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:31pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
Umm I've not extensively listened to either so for me to weigh in one way or the other wouldn't be based on much input. Madonna certainly seems to have a more extensive catalog. I guess my tendency to lean more one way over the other is something less tangible but sort of what Jenny and Doc seemed to touch upon. Madonna fans back in high school were not the type I tended to hang out with. How much of that was related to marketing is hard to say.
I'm just talking about the music. Madonna has some duds but has a vast back catalogue of good pop tunes. I suppose it's subjective but of the ten or so Cyndi Lauper tunes I've heard, only one of them is any good. And that voice is just too squeaky for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:45pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
I'm just talking about the music. Madonna has some duds but has a vast back catalogue of good pop tunes. I suppose it's subjective but of the ten or so Cyndi Lauper tunes I've heard, only one of them is any good. And that voice is just too squeaky for me.
Yeah Im not really arguing because pop music basically doesn't appeal to me for the most part and both are pop music artists.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 8:51pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah Im not really arguing because pop music basically doesn't appeal to me for the most part and both are pop music artists.
Yeah, Doc is the man I need to defeat here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
All of the singles from She's So Unusual—and most of the album is decent, as I recall—plus her Goonies song and "True Colors." That's a half dozen solid pop songs.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 9:00pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:

All of the singles from She's So Unusual—and most of the album is decent, as I recall—plus her Goonies song and "True Colors." That's a half dozen solid pop songs.
What was Ms Lauper doing when Madonna was releasing cutting-edge stuff like Ray of Light? Sorry but this is like comparing Nik Kershaw to Prince.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 9:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 9:00pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

What was Ms Lauper doing when Madonna was releasing cutting-edge stuff like Ray of Light? Sorry but this is like comparing Nik Kershaw to Prince.
I can't speak to what CL has done since the 80s—she certainly hasn't sold heaps of records—but "Ray of Light" is cutting edge? Shrug. That song only became kinda interesting as that Sex Pistols mash-up, "Ray of Gob." Madonna is fascinating sociologically, but musically she's wholly uninteresting.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I saw Madonna play all 3 nights at Wembley Stadium in 1987 (I was working) she put on a fantastic show.
Like A Prayer is a classic pop song.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The Immaculate Collection is a solid collection of pop, tho my allegiance is obviously with Cyndi in this divide.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!