The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Great Thread of YouTube Magnificence!

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 2:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 2:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 2:42pm
Crazy For You brings back some errrr happy memories :shifty:
Not another one of your Big Country stories I hope. ;)
Yeah but without the dark sinister undertones of a BBC stalker murder mini series.
:lol: :lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:36am
Admit it you just like posting images of pretty girls from the 80s.
Cool-looking girls who are part of my larger argument, sure. But I remembering when I learned about Fuzzbox in an issue of Spin. I thought they were super cool looking, but also reminded me of CL. Just a glorious explosion of colour and seemingly random clothes. And it's perhaps telling that Fuzzbox's music was also about fun and not having social restrictions. Not saying there's a conscious connection going on, but the visual component might be significantly tied to the music.
Yep I guess so but that might be a sideways disservice to The B52s and The Go-Gos.
Great band. Just listened to "Talk Show" which was produced by the great Martin Rushent.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 4:02pm
Great band. Just listened to "Talk Show" which was produced by the great Martin Rushent.
Coinkadinkally, I'm listening to John Doe's second collection about LA punk, 1982–1987, which is a collection of remembrances by various scene people. This morning I listened to Jane Wiedlin (sigh) talk about the Go-Go's and how shit went sideways for them (familiar story: young, naive, sudden fame, booze and drugs, money all broke up the group dynamic). The record industry as it was constituted would never have been viable without the naivete of most bands.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:36am
Admit it you just like posting images of pretty girls from the 80s.
Cool-looking girls who are part of my larger argument, sure. But I remembering when I learned about Fuzzbox in an issue of Spin. I thought they were super cool looking, but also reminded me of CL. Just a glorious explosion of colour and seemingly random clothes. And it's perhaps telling that Fuzzbox's music was also about fun and not having social restrictions. Not saying there's a conscious connection going on, but the visual component might be significantly tied to the music.
Yep I guess so but that might be a sideways disservice to The B52s and The Go-Gos.
Quality producer and a gentlemen. I visited his Genetic studio in Streatley in the 80s. My auntie was his cleaner. Martin wasn't there but in the 90s I was rehearsing at Alley Cat studio Reading with my band and Martin was in the next studio making his cover of Oasis "Wonderwall" as the artist Mike Flowers Pop. Yeah real nice guy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Coinkadinkally, I'm listening to John Doe's second collection about LA punk, 1982–1987, which is a collection of remembrances by various scene people. This morning I listened to Jane Wiedlin (sigh) talk about the Go-Go's and how shit went sideways for them (familiar story: young, naive, sudden fame, booze and drugs, money all broke up the group dynamic). The record industry as it was constituted would never have been viable without the naivete of most bands.
Do you think it's gotten better in regards to the record industry taking advantage of young bands?

I was always more into Belinda (sigh) ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 4:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Do you think it's gotten better in regards to the record industry taking advantage of young bands?
Predators got prey. But at least artists have more options for doing things themselves now, cutting out reliance on corporate weasels, but it does mean more non-music work done by the bands to get their shit out there. So some business savvy is required. Of course, if they had the business savvy, maybe they'd be able to negotiate better deals with the labels, etc. In short, it comes down to the bands being smart enough to look out for their best interests.
I was always more into Belinda (sigh) ;)
Someone's gotta take second place, I guess. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The shift to REM talk in the Top 5 thread inspired me to load up the video for "Imitation of Life," the last really good REM single, imo. And a mesmerizing, trippy video, too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listening to John Doe's book, I'm drawn again to my favourite X song, which is such a fantastic expression of betrayal and disillusionment, and is as relevant now as it was in the early 80s.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:57pm
The shift to REM talk in the Top 5 thread inspired me to load up the video for "Imitation of Life," the last really good REM single, imo. And a mesmerizing, trippy video, too.

This was a really solid late period REM single. Crunchy riff, trademark Peter Buck arpeggios, live drumming (sadly not Bill Berry), and a prominent Mike Mills harmony vocal on the chorus. I was blown away when this came out because I had stopped expecting much from the band.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This was a really solid late period REM single. Crunchy riff, trademark Peter Buck arpeggios, live drumming (sadly not Bill Berry), and a prominent Mike Mills harmony vocal on the chorus. I was blown away when this came out because I had stopped expecting much from the band.
It's good but, I think, only due to low expectations of the band.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Accelerate is a great album with my favorite beginning set of tracks: Living Well Is The Best Revenge (Well, I'm not one to sit and spin
'Cause living well's the best revenge, Baby, I am calling you on that), Man-Sized Wreath, and Supernatural Superserious.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 10:37am
Listening to John Doe's book, I'm drawn again to my favourite X song, which is such a fantastic expression of betrayal and disillusionment, and is as relevant now as it was in the early 80s.
Perfect song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 12:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They really did experience a real fall from musical grace, didn't they? I really like everything from Murmur through Green and then it gets spotty. I think Out of Time is overrated. Automatic is mostly great. Monster has aged poorly. New Adventures is underrated (but too long). Everything after Bill Berry left is really not great. Their final 2 albums were hailed as somewhat of a comeback, but to your point - I think largely because of low expectations. To their credit, they did finally pull the plug.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They really did experience a real fall from musical grace, didn't they? I really like everything from Murmur through Green and then it gets spotty. I think Out of Time is overrated. Automatic is mostly great. Monster has aged poorly. New Adventures is underrated (but too long). Everything after Bill Berry left is really not great. Their final 2 albums were hailed as somewhat of a comeback, but to your point - I think largely because of low expectations. To their credit, they did finally pull the plug.
If it's IRS, it's very good to great. Green is half a good album. Automatic is quite good. Everything else is boring or a shrug, with a few moments to remind. If they had stopped with BB quit, we all would have imagined what might have been if they'd carried on, instead of having what they actually did. I'll say it again: The Beatles' greatness is confirmed by quitting before they watered down their accomplishments.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:47pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 1:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If it's IRS, it's very good to great. Green is half a good album. Automatic is quite good. Everything else is boring or a shrug, with a few moments to remind. If they had stopped with BB quit, we all would have imagined what might have been if they'd carried on, instead of having what they actually did. I'll say it again: The Beatles' greatness is confirmed by quitting before they watered down their accomplishments.
Same with The Smiths.